Where are the Car Transporter drivers?

I know of a company (Midlands) who are looking for a two-years-plus experienced car transporter driver. It is a Mon - Fri tramping job.

They have advertised locally but couldn’t find anyone suitable. They seem to think that there could/should be some suitable drivers who were laid-off during the ‘hard times’.

The question is, where should they advertise? Some have suggested the North East; any further thoughts on that?

what part of the midlands they from ?,our shropshire star is always lacking in jobs,A member on here advertised a job a few months back,and he had 30 odd applicants i think he said,

Location - Rushden/Wellingborough/Northampton.

He has advertised before and had a lot of enquiries, unfortunately most of which had no experience but ‘would like to give it a try if you train me’; not really what he’s looking for.

I guess he’s trying to find out where there might be pockets of ex-transporter drivers, with experience but no current work.

It’s a job you couldn’t get on 20 years ago. Now they struggle to find drivers. I wonder why■■?

marcustandy:
I know of a company (Midlands) who are looking for a two-years-plus experienced car transporter driver. It is a Mon - Fri tramping job.

They have advertised locally but couldn’t find anyone suitable. They seem to think that there could/should be some suitable drivers who were laid-off during the ‘hard times’.

The question is, where should they advertise? Some have suggested the North East; any further thoughts on that?

There should be a few lads around who have worked on the Toyota contract, when they used to build cars, although today they reckon that the plant is going full time again in the near future, if they can still get bits from Japan.

Using “This is”, should spread the word far enough. I get the Derby telegraph and have not seen anything recently, the last transporter job I saw advertised was Brit European as Silver Arrow

It’s quite simple the money ain’t what it used to be. I’m still in contact with loads of them and they seem to be hounded all the time, it’s why I walked away in 2007.

When I first started driving car transporting was the best money a driver could make(along with fuel tanker drivers), now its probably equal to supermarket work. I know which job I’d rather do and the supermarket wins everytime. The worlds gone crazy in my opinion, why a supermarker driver gets as much as a car transporter driver I just dont know, not only do they have to live away all week but its usually in such a small space, my dog has a bigger kennel than a transporter drivers cab! Why do the supermarkets pay top money for such an easy job? The transporter driver deserves better pay and living conditions IMO.

could be a firm called freemans based in rushden,did have lots of car transporters then did general haulage so could now be looking for experienced transporter drivers again

The job aint what it used to be but what job is, the money is not as good, but if your not willing to invest in staff then why expect them to just appear. Bit the bullet and train them, alot do not make the grade and it costs a fortune but if companies don’t invest then their will be less of them.

Autologic near me at Royal Portbury Dock has advertised a couple of times lately, I’ve got no experience whatsoever and still got an interview but didn’t go for it after they said you could be away all week , not doing that again.

i worked on the transporters for sensible transport at henstridge, excellent training, but crap tackle after they bought 2nd hand motors, and the money is not there anymore either, you can earn more on general haulage :slight_smile:

Got laid off two years ago and intended to get back into it when things picked up again but couldn’t be doing with the extra hassle involved anymore, low branches, checking for the slightest scratch, wheel trims , aerials, sat nav discs, locking wheel nuts and some of the dealers are complete tossers and as said before the money’s gone down

Thanks to you all for your replies; some good thought provoking stuff in there.

I guess the search goes on. I must say, it isn’t a job that appeals to me and I think you’re right when you say that the money is no better than supermarket work but certainly more stressful. :neutral_face: