When the rear lift axle was king

seth 70:
You could have pitched a tent in them gaps robert ,or used the suzies to hang your washing :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think the Belgian coiler WAS a tent! We used to move those regularly - the sides were all wood and they must have come out of the ark. They were only about 36 or 37-foot long I would say. Probably from the '60s. Robert

greek:
Heres a one which was rarely seen all of our 113s& 143s were tags except for 2 both F regs Never saw many twin steer Scania at that time Here`s mine

[/img]

There were the 2 E reg ones as well. E286NDC E287NDC the 1st 113s

I re-call when the gvw’s went up to 38 ton there seemed to be a flurry of activity sticking the likes of Granning axles into units and any kind of third axle into tandem trailers,made me sick just looking at some of the conversions without considering to have any of our fleet “butchered” in a similar manner.I couldn’t get my head around the economics of these conversions because you ended up with right abortions that were usually worth less than the pre-converted motor/trailer had been worth in the first place.Anyhow that was my take on the fiasco. Cheers Bewick.

gazzad:

greek:
Heres a one which was rarely seen all of our 113s& 143s were tags except for 2 both F regs Never saw many twin steer Scania at that time Here`s mine

[/img]

There were the 2 E reg ones as well. E286NDC E287NDC the 1st 113s

Drove a 112 twin steer,D146RCW,and owned a 142,D350NSD,also twin steer,a better ride than rear lift[on springs],but 2nd steer seemed to have an appetite for grease in kingpins?ta,Pete

Bewick:
I re-call when the gvw’s went up to 38 ton there seemed to be a flurry of activity sticking the likes of Granning axles into units and any kind of third axle into tandem trailers,made me sick just looking at some of the conversions without considering to have any of our fleet “butchered” in a similar manner.I couldn’t get my head around the economics of these conversions because you ended up with right abortions that were usually worth less than the pre-converted motor/trailer had been worth in the first place.Anyhow that was my take on the fiasco. Cheers Bewick.

The worst looking efforts were when the they just put the inner wheel on the tag,very shabby :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

seth 70:

Bewick:

The worst looking efforts were when the they just put the inner wheel on the tag,very shabby :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I agree. I used to drive two identical Scanias, one with the single-wheel tag and the other with the double-wheel tag. The double-wheel tag looked much, much trimmer and nicer; but in the bleak mid winter down at the docks, the single-wheel tag was a little more responsive to the constant raising and lowering of the axle to get under ancient French tilts in the ice and snow. Here they are, both pictured. Robert

A lot of them at that time were simply ‘trailing’ axles, and didn’t lift at all, as on this ERF B-series I used to drive. It was a cracking motor to drive and I’d love to get back in it tomorrow, but I disliked the appearance of that pathetic-looking trailing axle. I would rather it had remained a 4x2 and be done with! Robert

Single wheel or not they can’t be any worst looking than those mid lift, 5th or half wheelers they are putting on at the moment. Tag over a mid lift any day.

I went onto a single axle weigh bridge fully loaded one day and lifted the tag to see how much weight I had on the drive. I was surprised to find it was 18 and 1/2 tons, no wonder they sunk into the snow.

I never used tyre chains when I had a Tag.

Jeff…

seth 70:

Bewick:

You are so right,my Scania ended up like that,looked unfinished somehow,spoilt the looks of the 112.Like you say shabby. regards ardennes

ardennes:

seth 70:

Bewick:

You are so right,my Scania ended up like that,looked unfinished somehow,spoilt the looks of the 112.Like you say shabby. regards ardennes

The tyre wear must have been shocking ,when they were turned in a tight place i dont know how the single wheel tag tyres stopped on the rim :unamused: :unamused:

I ran single wheels @ 38 ton on tags for a long time. Had a propper job done on them and they were set up right, I never had any problem with tyre wear or popping of the rim, bursting the tail lights, getting them caught on trailer chassis, or breaking the plastic guards of. But I do know some that did.
One thing that I often wondered about was why do British trucks insist of having run up ramps. No other country that I have ever driven in has them, and I can’t say I’ve actually neaded them. Just wind the legs down properly.
With modern air ride there’s no nead for them.

Jeff…

seth 70:

ardennes:

seth 70:

Bewick:

The tyre wear must have been shocking ,when they were turned in a tight place i dont know how the single wheel tag tyres stopped on the rim :unamused: :unamused:

Talking of tyre wear Malcolms earlier yard over the bridges at Lostock Hall was not that big and especially on friday nights it was chaos.Roamers and shunters returning ,night men getting ready,scottish drivers wanting fuel,the yard was blocked and the main road outside the depot blocked as well.trying to turn round with tri-axle trailers was chewing tyres up and even chewing the concrete,stones flying like bullets.They got a steel plate in the middle later which helped a lot.The yard was that full drivers where literaly dragging the front axles sideways,it had to stop as apart from tyre wear and damage the strain on the axles must have tremendous .

Some of the 12 wheeled tri-axle trailers I followed at times made some horendeous cracks and bangs when going around tight bends and on roundabouts they literally left a layer of rubber behind them,and as for braking well the slightest touch had the wheels locking up and clouds of smoke billowing out from the back of the trailer.They were “overbraked” with having 6 wide brake drums with 9ins shoes,and when some operators started to convert to the mini super singles but on the narrow track old axles this caused another load of agg.with the additional strain on the hub studs etc.And there’s more,so there is :open_mouth: Some of these older tandems that were converted had been accustomed,and designed,to carry 20 ton and all of a sudden they had to start hauling 25ton,and what happened ? trailer necks started snapping like carrots in front of the landing legs. :unamused: Cheers bewick.

Bewick:
Some of the 12 wheeled tri-axle trailers I followed at times made some horendeous cracks and bangs when going around tight bends and on roundabouts they literally left a layer of rubber behind them,and as for braking well the slightest touch had the wheels locking up and clouds of smoke billowing out from the back of the trailer.They were “overbraked” with having 6 wide brake drums with 9ins shoes,and when some operators started to convert to the mini super singles but on the narrow track old axles this caused another load of agg.with the additional strain on the hub studs etc.And there’s more,so there is :open_mouth: Some of these older tandems that were converted had been accustomed,and designed,to carry 20 ton and all of a sudden they had to start hauling 25ton,and what happened ? trailer necks started snapping like carrots in front of the landing legs. :unamused: Cheers bewick.

Yes i never took the extra 5 tons into account, good point.Maybe some converted trailers it proved to be the straw that broke the camels back.
regards ardennes

Jelliot:
I ran single wheels @ 38 ton on tags for a long time. Had a propper job done on them and they were set up right, I never had any problem with tyre wear or popping of the rim, bursting the tail lights, getting them caught on trailer chassis, or breaking the plastic guards of. But I do know some that did.
One thing that I often wondered about was why do British trucks insist of having run up ramps. No other country that I have ever driven in has them, and I can’t say I’ve actually neaded them. Just wind the legs down properly.
With modern air ride there’s no nead for them.

Jeff…

Thats called being good at your job and taking care of your tackle jeff,im afraid alot of people dont or didnt give a toss about lorries or trailers they had,if the money for damage was coming out of their pocket i think things would change,as for run up ramps ive notice more units nowadays without them,i dont think for one minute you could not fit them to a fleet motor,that would be asking for trouble,i worked at a firm a few year ago and a driver defected a unit and refused to take it out because it didnt have run up ramps or skids as they are known up in yorkshire,operators would sooner fit skids and put them daft mini mid lifts on to save weight intead of missing the skids off and putting a propper wheel on on the midlift. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Bewick:

Just a little end to my quote Bewick which i know will be close to your heart (or bank account) we could all get at least an hours overtime on fridays just waiting to fuel up. regards ardennes

Gallachers streamline

ardennes:

Bewick:

Just a little end to my quote Bewick which i know will be close to your heart (or bank account) we could all get at least an hours overtime on fridays just waiting to fuel up. regards ardennes

You’ll have to explain in more detail this last post “ardennes”,we had dual derv pumps pouring out 100ltrs per minute,none of the units hung about on the pumps in the Milnthorpe depot IIRC. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Bewick.

Bewick:

ardennes:

Bewick:

You’ll have to explain in more detail this last post “ardennes”,we had dual derv pumps pouring out 100ltrs per minute,none of the units hung about on the pumps in the Milnthorpe depot IIRC. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Bewick.

Thats what you thought bewick,i know a few lads who would join the queue at the icecream van if it ment gettin a hours ot out of it :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

robert1952:

seth 70:
When the rear lifts were first brought out there werent many units without crumpled back wings or bent and smashed back lights held on with tape and tiewraps,they went alot further up than the tags do today,tyre scrub was bad aswell if they were only single wheels :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: looked good thow :smiley: :smiley:

You’re right about the wreckage! The worst was in the various docks doing traction work, where everyone was picking up unfamiliar old foreign tilts with long or short pins - nightmare. The other problem was that tag-axles tended to get attached to quite long-wheel-base units and the gap between the cab and a 12-metre trailer could be said to be not very air dynamically favourable, to say the least. Here are some I drove in the mid '80s like that. Robert

hey Robert, If i say that green trailer is a Van Daele, is it?? Lash did a lot of cabotage work here in Belgium in the late '70’s and '80’s,and had even Belgian numberplates with a right hand drive MB. Because of a Belgian envious haulier
who made a complaint. But even in the late '60’s and begin '70’s was a UK haulier hier with two Merc’s 1418 a nose and
a forward control, dark green cab’s with a red chassis.

Cheers Eric,