Whats your car buying policy?

i gather that you’ve blown you savings on something where a set of tyres cost more than a car nmm , brave man !

rigsby:
i gather that you’ve blown you savings on something where a set of tyres cost more than a car nmm , brave man !

Brave or stupid, the jury’s still out on that one :laughing:

■■■■■■■:
I`ve never paid more than £3,500 for a motor. (gangstafied merc 190 - looked the dogs, and went like ***t off a stick).

Had a nicely customised 1275GT Mini that fair flew as well. Forget what I paid now, but it certainly wasn`t a fortune.

Also had a nice 1.8i 306 meridian. 3yrs old, 32,000mls & fully loaded for £3,200. Had about 10 main dealer service stamps if I remember rightly!

Bought some proper cheap old bangers (diesel Maestro, cavalier, corolla etc. purely for getting to and from places of work. These were all justifiably beasted to death.

Currently running a re-mapped 1.8 turbo MGZT. Had bulletproof head conversion (no k-series problems), new w/pump, pulleys & belts, cold air feed induction kit, uprated wastegate, civic type R boost gauge (where the clock used to be), custom stainless exhaust, drilled/grooved discs, good ICE, leccy everything. Beautiful trophy blue metallic which makes it for me. All for a grand.

I only change cars when I`ve either run it into the ground, or I just fancy something different.

Ive always bought privately and at good prices, and (luckily or skillfully!) never been landed with a lemon. Ive got in the habit now of paying for stuff in cash and as it seems to work well for me, will continue to do so. There`s plenty of really good, well cherished cars for sale out there, so my take on it is why pay (or owe) a fortune?

i pay cash whenever i can too. i paid £1500 for the VR4 legnum 2 years ago but it was too expensive to run and maintain so it is now sitting waiting for repairs before it gets MOTd in june and has been there since last june
in september i bought a mates V6 galant for £250. the tax and test were due but it went through (his face was a picture when i told him it passed :laughing: ) and although i have had to spend money on it, its just a daily driver for work. the legnum will be a project/toy