What's With The 56mph(90kph) Tacho Infringements?

The drivers card will hold months and months of data.
Only the last 28 days is ‘looked at’ when needed.

The tachograph can be read remotely when you drive past a reader, no contact needed (according to my DCPC - Although that maybe a future step)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

stu675:
The tachograph can be read remotely when you drive past a reader, no contact needed (according to my DCPC - Although that maybe a future step)

Some data can be read this way - but in essence this “remote” data can only be used to trigger a regular stop/check for further analysis. It can’t be used to remotely generate a penalty or fine through the post.

lmp198181:
As far as I know…… if you have a limited vehicle ( 90km ) then you should keep to that, new trucks like the 19 plate I drive comes with automatic braking at 60 miles per hour…. My Tachograph still shows overspending after 90km if I was to be involved in an accident then the Tachograph would no doubt be brought into evidence… if the dvsa where looking for something to pin on you then repeated over speeding would show you as driving without due care and attention, if it’s the odd one here and there most will let it slide….
That being said anything above 60 miles an hour on any road in a HGV is above the legal limit [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet 1,000’s of truck drivers regularly break the 40mph and 50mph limits and that is ok? Take the A9 between Stirling and Perth. It is 50mph limit yet 95% trucks do 56mph. That’s ok then?

Also the tachograph accuracy is a myth. A complete and utter myth. Compare it to your sat nav speed eh?

Most trucks say 56mph but its 54mph. Why because tacho calibration centres have a +/- 2mph tolerance and being cautious they always go downwards. So your exceeding 56mph on a m-way. Total rubbish most of the time as you wont even be doing 56mph !! And you’d be have to be doing 63mph on the tacho to be breaking the 60mph limit ffs.

Unless of course you are:

1. An Irish haulier
  2. SN Transport - they have specal dispensation from VOSA to do 58mph - but you all knew that…

Anything on the tachograph becomes an issue with either your company keeping to the legal undertakings of there operator licence where they agree to certain terms and conditions ( if proven other wise risks there operators licence )
Or the dvsa trying to prove you were doing something wrong……

Yet if you do drive over the limit, over loaded, over your hours, it’s just If you get caught doing these by either dvsa which should only then look at the last 28 days ( unless have reason to look back further ) or the company monitoring there drivers hours, working time directives, infringements etc…

There is one hundred percent definitely drivers out there getting away with madness but not being caught….
Either there company doesn’t check the digi card or vehicle unit
Or the dvsa hasn’t pulled them over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason for the 90 kmh limit is for vehicles operating under EU regulations. This was done for reasons of fair competition, so that all countries competing against each other follow the same rules. Therefore a vehicle operating under EU regs should be limited to 90kmh. If the vehicle is private or used under domestic regs then the UK speed limit of 60mph applies and the limiter may be disabled.
Exceeding the 90kmh limit as not speeding but is an infringement under EU regs. It is extremely unlikely anyone would get prosecuted for this unless an operator was brought in front of the TC with many other infringements and was shown to be willfully ignoring it. It may then be used in a case against them.

stu675:

You would have to have a tacho manufactured after June 2019 for this to happen. Even then they can only access limited company data such as; when the tacho was last calibrated, when was the VU last downloaded and how many security breaches are on it. These will then be used alongside the OCS to ‘profile’ and determine whether a stop is on the cards.
Basically, if an operator can’t be bothered to calibrate their tachos on time, what else are they doing wrong? Probably a lot.

Road2ruin:
The reason for the 90 kmh limit is for vehicles operating under EU regulations. This was done for reasons of fair competition, so that all countries competing against each other follow the same rules. Therefore a vehicle operating under EU regs should be limited to 90kmh. If the vehicle is private or used under domestic regs then the UK speed limit of 60mph applies and the limiter may be disabled.
Exceeding the 90kmh limit as not speeding but is an infringement under EU regs. It is extremely unlikely anyone would get prosecuted for this unless an operator was brought in front of the TC with many other infringements and was shown to be willfully ignoring it. It may then be used in a case against them.

Thanks for the explanation, we pretty much only have 44 ton artics so they all gonna be under EU regs, correct? It’s an infringement but no one is going to bother about it, unless, as you said there’s other issues.

Road2ruin:

I don`t think being under Domestic regs is enough to be exempt from speed limiter.
Here is the exemption declaration document
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … n-form.pdf

Franglais:

Road2ruin:

I don`t think being under Domestic regs is enough to be exempt from speed limiter.
Here is the exemption declaration document
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … n-form.pdf

Thanks for that, never actually seen the doc before. I would guess that is used or vehicles that were previously under EU regs, interesting read though. Ta

Road2ruin:

Time for a new rule then.

If the vehicle is on an international O licence the 90kph limit applies if not then a higher limit of 97kph limit will apply. It shall be an offence to use a vehicle calibrated to 97kph to be used on international journeys.

Over to you Grant…

It’s all just nonsense. It’s flagged up as an infringement because the maximum speed limit for trucks in mainland Europe is 90 kph. In the UK it is 96.56 kph and nothing below that will be of any interest to the authorities.

Harry Monk:
It’s all just nonsense. It’s flagged up as an infringement because the maximum speed limit for trucks in mainland Europe is 90 kph. In the UK it is 96.56 kph and nothing below that will be of any interest to the authorities.

Unless said vehicle is being driven on a single carriageway road, of course…