What's this?

The cabs of all the lorries shown on this thread are different. It seems that some of them used Atkinson windscreens, while others had ERF KV ones. Are we sure they are all Homalloy?

PS the Leyland with the LAD grille and lamps looks superb- like a 1930s or '40s streamlined special.

[zb]
anorak:
The cabs of all the lorries shown on this thread are different. It seems that some of them used Atkinson windscreens, while others had ERF KV ones. Are we sure they are all Homalloy?

PS the Leyland with the LAD grille and lamps looks superb- like a 1930s or '40s streamlined special.

Windscreens used in coach-built and other proprietary cabs are another can of worms best left unopened. My uncle needed a windscreen for a Tillotson cabbed AEC Mercury and he got what looked to be an identical windscreen from a Park Royal cabbed Mercury. Were they the same? No, one of them was one inch smaller in every dimension than the other. All of the proprietary cab builders used “off the shelf” items wherever possible, windscreens being one such component.

albion1938:
Whatever it is, it’s a Homalloy cab. Variations of it used on all sorts of motors including a few BMCs Pete.
Bernard

Yes Bernard, Southern Gas had a few BMC’s with that cab powered by the 3.4 four cylinder engine. I re-engined a couple with Gold Seal units. Oh and I said it was a Leyland before Carryfast, even posted a pic with the same grille badge, but he can keep the cigar as I value my lungs too much! :laughing:

Pete.

windrush:

albion1938:
Whatever it is, it’s a Homalloy cab. Variations of it used on all sorts of motors including a few BMCs Pete.
Bernard

Yes Bernard, Southern Gas had a few BMC’s with that cab powered by the 3.4 four cylinder engine. I re-engined a couple with Gold Seal units. Oh and I said it was a Leyland before Carryfast, even posted a pic with the same grille badge, but he can keep the cigar as I value my lungs too much! :laughing:

Pete.

The ones I remember Pete, being a Londoner were FE or FF 5 ton box vans on the Greater London Council.

Anorak, the Scammell cab is Scammell’s own, I think the Mason Leyland started out as a pantechnicon, the cab was probably originally integral and built by the bodybuilder. Only guessing. Nice looking motor whatever.

Bernard

albion1938:

windrush:

albion1938:
Bernard

Pete.

The ones I remember Pete, being a Londoner were FE or FF 5 ton box vans on the Greater London Council.

Anorak, the Scammell cab is Scammell’s own, I think the Mason Leyland started out as a pantechnicon, the cab was probably originally integral and built by the bodybuilder. Only guessing. Nice looking motor whatever.

Bernard

And the Scammell cab was a Michelotti design, as was the later cab that gained the “cheesegrater” sobriquet.

albion1938:
I think the Mason Leyland started out as a pantechnicon, the cab was probably originally integral and built by the bodybuilder. Only guessing. Nice looking motor whatever.

Bernard

Correct, the Mason motor was a van originally, and I believe that the cab and body were built by Woodward’s of Formby. Woodward’s were also Atkinson agents, hence the use of Mk.1 Atkinson windscreens. It’s the only one on this thread with Atki screens, though, and which are rather different from Homalloy, Bowyer, ERF KV, etc

i started my life in transport as a trailer mate on the old aec mammoths with the starting handle and the autovac in front of the mates seat. starting with the handle was a two man job, one usually the mate on the handle and the driver on a length of rope. i suffered many a kick back off them sods. are there any on here remember them.