What's The Fastest you Clocked

Oh bye the way.
Coach diffs fitted to lorries = load of old bollox
High range diff more like.

Suedehead:
Oh bye the way.

I had an f12 with what Volvo called a motorway diff, it went off the end of the tacho at the same time as it got to the end of the green band on the rev counter :sunglasses: :smiley:

A lot of drivers say this done that and that done this.all is not untrue but to be taken with a pinch of salt.i drove a tourque ■■■■■ 350 twin turbo merc.repo.no throttle stop on pump it just kept going.i wont divolge speed or company.but the driver who used my lorry while i had my week off said ■■■■ dangerious .95.mph and still goin.i thought you got to stop the fuxxxer

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Juddian:
Not going to say too much here about speeds, but interesting when you speak of pre limiter days, lots of lorries had limiters long before they became a requirement, the trick was to be able to by pass the limiter without disconnecting anything or interfering with any wiring or connections, and for the er modification to pass the regular inspection periods and road tests by the mechanics, one of mine was limited to 71 mph, it would cruise somewhat faster than that without even the mechanics having the the slightest suspicion.

Looking back now i can’t believe the speeds we used to use at night in particular, you’d last 5 minutes now before they locked you up, different days different outlook.
These days it feels like i’m flying if i run on the limiter at a genuine 56.

The old Diesels had a govenor.this would stop them over revin.not limiting the speed or output they wereable to do

All this sàid about speed i did see a speed rating on the tyres one day just lookin round as you used to do.(walk around checks) it said raited at 65 mph.i very ofteñ drove faster.when possible.that was only 30 yeaŕs ago

Johnyplugg:

Juddian:
Not going to say too much here about speeds, but interesting when you speak of pre limiter days, lots of lorries had limiters long before they became a requirement, the trick was to be able to by pass the limiter without disconnecting anything or interfering with any wiring or connections, and for the er modification to pass the regular inspection periods and road tests by the mechanics, one of mine was limited to 71 mph, it would cruise somewhat faster than that without even the mechanics having the the slightest suspicion.

Looking back now i can’t believe the speeds we used to use at night in particular, you’d last 5 minutes now before they locked you up, different days different outlook.
These days it feels like i’m flying if i run on the limiter at a genuine 56.

The old Diesels had a govenor.this would stop them over revin.not limiting the speed or output they wereable to do

If I’m not mistaken it was either pulling the fuse or there was something about a magnet
Saying that i have driven trucks that never had a limiter

My f12 came home brand new without a limiter but had to have one retro fitted at about 18 months old. It was set at 100 k’s and I could only just get into top because of the high gearing :smiley:

I’ve been reluctant to admit to past sins as I rarely go over 80 in my car now

But I fondly remember doing Agency for Eden Vale in Bristol in the early 1980s, Filton to Prestwich, drop & swop (nights)
paid 10 hours and with an F12 normally done in 4 hrs cruising on the M5 at around 94 in the green
Just slightly faster than Geest out of Barry with their Fodens !!

AS an owner-driver I rarely went over 75 in my own motors, but the F12s were on contract hire & never missed a beat

Suedehead:
Oh bye the way.

Well I know of two Scania 142’s that we’re fitted with “coach diff’s” in the 80’s. Dougie Towler had one and Robin Borthwick ran another.

76167B7C-1732-4AA0-BE6A-2B8EA3DB5D3D.jpegOn the cruise coming over the summit on I-29 yesterday morning. My gps is needing updating as it says 75 max but it’s 80 now. And I was still getting overtaken by locals.

Can somebody help put it right way round please

JIMBO47:
Can somebody help put it right way round please

Turn the phone.?

JIMBO47:
On the cruise coming over the summit on I-29 yesterday morning. My gps is needing updating as it says 75 max but it’s 80 now. And I was still getting overtaken by locals.

thanks

I like the…

Way that the days of December are crossed off. Just like prisoners do in cartoons.

yup, all leading up to 20 dec HOLIDAYS till march. xmas and new yr at home then Mazatlan for sunshine.

Never had the luxury of driving before limiters, but I still managed 73mph coming back from Scarborough on the A64 just after Malton on that steep descent [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk