What's it like to have a front wheel blow out?

I would tell you that in forty years driving I’ve never had a front blowout… but that’d be tempting fate wouldn’t it?
Drive tyres coupla times. Trailer tyres, yes.
Touching wood.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

You’ll be touching cloth, not wood if it ever happens Franglais.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:
You’ll be touching cloth, not wood if it ever happens Franglais.

[emoji2]
Daresay you’re right.
But, so far, so good.

Thanks everyone for these informative and scary stories!

It sounds like it makes sense to have the middle wheels down if you have them even if unloaded, as it seems to increase stability massively in a front wheel blow out situation.

TiredAndEmotional - I avoid the semi-colon, I find it too confusing :smiley: By the way - do you mean moving vehicles on the hard shoulder?

It seeems these stories happen on fast roads - is this coz that’s when the air pressure builds with heat or any seized parts get hot enough to go?

Anyone got any thoughts on one-handed driving on the motorway? I find it so much more comfortable but am unsure how risky it is.

Malcolmgbell - any idea why three tyres would go together? Does one go and start off a chain reaction?

I’ve been driving for over 30yrs, at least 3million miles and one front wheel blow out so far, which means the odds of a front wheel blow out are pretty low.

Most of those miles have been done with only one hand on the wheel, the other being busy picking my nose, smoking, giving someone the finger/self pleasuring gesture, eating, tuning the radio, texting when it was legal, scratching my arse and of course, changing gear, so a two handed grip is not really necessary.

Don’t stress about it, about the only positive thing you can do is Pat’s suggestion of never having one of those steering wheel knobs, not only will you not break your hand if you have a blow out, you also will be able to get out of the cab without ripping all the buttons off your shirt as I once did when moving a lorry with such a device fitted to it.

Thanks man - for the advice. I was hoping that was what the answer was going to be! I think there is something to be said in being relaxed while driving as I think it helps you stay alert longer.

I agree, when you let it flow, so to speak, you’re a much better driver when you just get on and drive than you are if you try and concentrate on one particular thing.

I remember Ray Mears said never drive off road in a jeep with your thumb inside the steering wheel as if you hit a rock it can flick the wheel round and break your thumb. In view of some of these posts I might start being more aware of that if the reaction can be equally violent. But on the whole I’ll remain chilled and be aware where I would want to try and direct the vehicle if a blow out did occur, and to remember no harsh braking! My TM recently said to me to be always planning a way out for yourself in any situation while driving.

wanderingstar:
I remember Ray Mears said never drive off road in a jeep with your thumb inside the steering wheel as if you hit a rock it can flick the wheel round and break your thumb. In view of some of these posts I might start being more aware of that if the reaction can be equally violent. But on the whole I’ll remain chilled and be aware where I would want to try and direct the vehicle if a blow out did occur, and to remember no harsh braking! My TM recently said to me to be always planning a way out for yourself in any situation while driving.

But how would you grip something firmly, such as a steering wheel, without having a thumb opposing the fingers or palm?
As NMM says don’t worry too much about rate events.

Franglais:

wanderingstar:

But how would you grip something firmly, such as a steering wheel, without having a thumb opposing the fingers or palm?

Most people have dislocated or broken a thumb with a starting handle, it doesn’t happen so much now [emoji23]

Ray is always right! Just had a quick Google to find the original clip but couldn’t find it, but there are others saying the same thing -

fourwheeler.com/features/160 … ing-wheel/

Wheel Nut:

Franglais:

wanderingstar:

Most people have dislocated or broken a thumb with a starting handle, it doesn’t happen so much now [emoji23]

Nowadays you don’t so many cases of sprained ankles from fleeing T Rex either.

wanderingstar:
Thanks everyone for these informative and scary stories!

It sounds like it makes sense to have the middle wheels down if you have them even if unloaded, as it seems to increase stability massively in a front wheel blow out situation.

TiredAndEmotional - I avoid the semi-colon, I find it too confusing :smiley: By the way - do you mean moving vehicles on the hard shoulder?

It seeems these stories happen on fast roads - is this coz that’s when the air pressure builds with heat or any seized parts get hot enough to go?

Anyone got any thoughts on one-handed driving on the motorway? I find it so much more comfortable but am unsure how risky it is.

Malcolmgbell - any idea why three tyres would go together? Does one go and start off a chain reaction?

Moving or stationary, if traffic permits I’ll move over. Ever stood on the hard shoulder? You’ve disappointed me WS!I don’t know whether I should just drop the semi-colon discreetly or persevere! :slight_smile:

Yes I’ve been stranded on a hard shoulder and I do nudge over for vehicles on it. I was just wondering if there was a special case with blow outs - eg your or they are possibly going to swerve suddenly and make contact.

“Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

wanderingstar:
Yes I’ve been stranded on a hard shoulder and I do nudge over for vehicles on it. I was just wondering if there was a special case with blow outs - eg your or they are possibly going to swerve suddenly and make contact.

If you’re unlucky enough to suffer a blowout then your onward direction of travel might be compromised. It’s something I have in mind when I see vehicles on the shoulder.

“Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

:open_mouth:

I had no idea! I’ll desist forthwith!

Live and let live but I steer clear of them, with both hands on the punctuation wheel :smiley: