What would you do!? Part two

there’s a logistics place in france I’ve been to a few times where the only bay setup up for fresh refridgerated goods is round the back, so you ignore all the brand new wide open bays on the front, and have to go round the back that is literally half building site, half abandoned warehouse. because it’s in france to begin with its setup for left hookers, the yards too small to spin round or come at it from the “right side” so you have to blind side it in, jack knifing the unit round the corner of a building onto the bay itself, avoid the 30ft stacks of containers, avoid ripping the bottom of your unit or steps off on the 3 foot high wall in front, and then those metal bay “guide” bars werent put in with artics in mind, so you squeak the tyres in both sides. if you dont get it straight, or forget to raise the arse end of the trailer to begin with, they’ll chew up that bottom bar at back. another of our drivers lost both mudflaps there recently. last time i went took me well over 30 minutes to get on, backwards and forwards, hopping in and out the cab to see where i was, all with the guys in the factory watching and waiting, probably taking the ■■■■.

It’s one of those places where they dont have any other bays for it, and the whole “we’ve had bigger in here”, and they probably have so you just have to do it, but even if it takes me an hour everytime i go there, i’ll take my time, get in and out as many times as it takes, and take the “stupide anglais” remarks. rather that than the gaffer ripping me a new one for damaging the truck/trailer/building.

as someone else has mentioned too, that tesco rdc in snodland is an absolute bugger when its busy and you get given one of the end bays with the trailers parked opposite, then get made to wait an hour and half to get tipped even though you made your allotted time slot.

alix776:
Should have gone back in and said your refusing the bay as there is a of damaging the truck if he insists they will be responoble le for any damage. And if he’s such a smart arse he can back it on the bay at that point hand him the keys. Get the truck as close to the bay as possible then take some pics ring boss explain what’s going on.

Why should they be responsible for your inability to drive? Plenty of other people have reversed on that bay so it is possible. Ringing the boss to say you can’t drive your truck…is that really the best idea? I can understand ringing the boss to say you can’t get in at a tight yard in some crappy company but at a RDC is not going to look good.

Why hand him the keys because he expects someone doing a job to be able to do it?

Conor:

alix776:
Should have gone back in and said your refusing the bay as there is a of damaging the truck if he insists they will be responoble le for any damage. And if he’s such a smart arse he can back it on the bay at that point hand him the keys. Get the truck as close to the bay as possible then take some pics ring boss explain what’s going on.

Why should they be responsible for your inability to drive? Plenty of other people have reversed on that bay so it is possible. Ringing the boss to say you can’t drive your truck…is that really the best idea? I can understand ringing the boss to say you can’t get in at a tight yard in some crappy company but at a RDC is not going to look good.

Why hand him the keys because he expects someone doing a job to be able to do it?

Yet again you fail to understand the point of my post. Engage brain before keyboard next time

Dipper_Dave:
Also look at the blind side option as sometimes this can be easier (yes I know its sounds daft).

Doesn’t sound daft to me. Best bit of advice on this thread.

Try fowler welch in heywood first 4 bays are a buggee especially when units are conected up as theres a building in front of them very tight but just ask another driver towatch you Iif your unsure better safe than sorry.

Sometimes… as long as its on

To be fair to the OP they got in ok just asked if there was another option.

Based on the OPs limited experience they have done very well and have learnt a good lesson that drivers will help fellow damsels out but goods in staff not so much.

I did a tricky blindside today and another driver said bloody hell mate I thought you was left hand drive how well you did that, one of the rare moments I didn’t realise i had an audience as usually its a 10 shunter to slip her in.

Wouldie:
I take it as a challenge and will sometimes do a blind reverse just to keep my eye in. You did the right thing if you weren’t sure you could do it.

Blind is always hard work. I used to work Purfleet docks and most trailer spaces were designed for LHD. Shunters there used to get great glee watching you going blind! Not too much of an issue when fresh,but after a long day a blind reverse is hard work. All IMHO of course.