What was your 1st.job as a newly qualified HGV1

At 18 and just passed my driving test I was working for a local public works contractor ( Tarmac firm ) the bossman came out into the yard shouting and raving as was normal for him about a petrol engine O type Bedford lorry with a load of hot tarmac still standing in the yard, he was told the driver hadn’t turned in that morning which sent him of in another rant, well get a driver he said and was politely told all the drivers were out on jobs which nearly sent him into a fit, he turned to me and said you’ve got a licence take that motor to so and so, I cant drive a lorry said I, I’ve only had my car licence about a week, well he said by the time you get to where your going you’ll be an expert, on your way lad, fifty years later I retired from lorry driving a happy man…

OssieD:
At 18 and just passed my driving test I was working for a local public works contractor ( Tarmac firm ) the bossman came out into the yard shouting and raving as was normal for him about a petrol engine O type Bedford lorry with a load of hot tarmac still standing in the yard, he was told the driver hadn’t turned in that morning which sent him of in another rant, well get a driver he said and was politely told all the d rivers were out on jobs which nearly sent him into a fit, he turned to me and said you’ve got a licence take that motor to so and so, I cant drive a lorry said I, I’ve only had my car licence about a week, well he said by the time you get to where your going you’ll be an expert, on your way lad, fifty years later I retired from lorry driving a happy man…

Good for you, A bit like myself in those days, I think lots of lads the same age as you and me were subject to the same challenges when we were young and eager but not stupid to get on in life and make a few bob :exclamation: , Its just a pity that those days are long gone when people had to use their loaf and get stuck in and make the best of it Thats why we are still going today in our old aged years, , :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

OssieD:
At 18 and just passed my driving test I was working for a local public works contractor ( Tarmac firm ) the bossman came out into the yard shouting and raving as was normal for him about a petrol engine O type Bedford lorry with a load of hot tarmac still standing in the yard, he was told the driver hadn’t turned in that morning which sent him of in another rant, well get a driver he said and was politely told all the d rivers were out on jobs which nearly sent him into a fit, he turned to me and said you’ve got a licence take that motor to so and so, I cant drive a lorry said I, I’ve only had my car licence about a week, well he said by the time you get to where your going you’ll be an expert, on your way lad, fifty years later I retired from lorry driving a happy man…

Good for you, A bit like myself in those days, I think lots of lads the same age as you and me were subject to the same challenges when we were young and eager but not stupid to get on in life and make a few bob :exclamation: , Its just a pity that those days are long gone when people had to use their loaf and get stuck in and make the best of it Thats why we are still going today in our old aged years, , :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

We were lucky in them day that we had bosses who put trust in you to look after their equipment, same as when I got my fist job on an artic at 21, didn’t know the front end from the back but a major haulier from the North East that ran flats, tanks tilts and low loader and had a big contract with a firm in North London gave me a start and I never looked back got my licence by grandfather rights through that company…happy days.
ossie

Had to wait a week as work was booked for my current 6 wheeler and had a trip to Jock land to do
But the week after is was local shunting on 1st day then 2nd day went to Deep cut to pick up old docs for shredding

Sent from my truck

Juddian:
Can’t recall the first load, but the first class 1 job they threw the key to an S39 Foden at me and just left to get on with it, that first trip saw me come to a complete stop several times to start again cos lost where i was in that, er, interesting gearbox, once lost the novice hads little chance of recovering on the move, well that’s my excuse.

Well recall the first reverse, 4-in-line flatbread (they were all flats) trailer from a narrow road into a narrow gateway, many many shunts later :blush: i was finally in, however that lack of power steering helped you learn pdq how to reverse proper like.
Have an idea that first load was a piece of machinery from Leicester up to Liverpool area, back load was drums of oil out of Castrol i think…recall Castol’s site well, it was where i learned from watching incredulously the bod shunting how it should be done…take one BigJ and reverse as fast as possible and i mean flat out and ram into the trailer, empty or loaded made no difference :open_mouth: , can’t say i’ve ever done that meself and i’m still wondering what the thinking was.

Nope, just told you a lie, memory playing tricks, that first trip was with a Leyland Badger (ergomatic cab) tractor and 4 in line, still no power steering mind, the Foden wasn’t ready for use when i started so got handed that when i got back the next day.

Can I use that excuse as well ? Covering for a driver on holiday for 2 weeks that gearbox had me completely beat. It was the only box that I never managed to master. :blush: :blush:

Lawrence Dunbar:

OssieD:

Good for you, A bit like myself in those days, I think lots of lads the same age as you and me were subject to the same challenges when we were young and eager but not stupid to get on in life and make a few bob :exclamation: , Its just a pity that those days are long gone when people had to use their loaf and get stuck in and make the best of it Thats why we are still going today in our old aged years, , :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.[/quote

Like me at Fred Chappells, 8 wheel Atky tipper (AEC engine) “get off with that Brian, give us a ring when you’ve tipped”
" I can’t do that Fred, I’ve never driven owt like that"
“Well now’s your chance to learn…take it to Hedleys (Trafford Park) and get it tipped”
50 years later I retired a happy man

grumpy old man:

Juddian:

Can I use that excuse as well ? Covering for a driver on holiday for 2 weeks that gearbox had me completely beat. It was the only box that I never managed to master. :blush: :blush:

2 weeks was hardly enough time to be fair Grumpy no excuse required :sunglasses: , took me month**s to perfect it, but doing so gave me an edge when presented with a column change MAN and again later whe the Eaton Twin Splitter came about.
In the end i loved that Foden box for what it did for me, i know some (most :blush: ) on the PDF take the ■■■■ when i suggest we go back to proper gearboxes, but if we did go back to lorries that needed to be driven there wouldn’t the oversubscription of sub standards out there and as a result the wages would have to rise to tempt those who can to do :bulb:

** do we ever stop learning? after all these years i’m still tweaking what i do on the road and after 2 years with my current steed still fine tuning how i use it to get the best out of it, whats they say about every day being a schoolday.

Juddian:

grumpy old man:

Juddian:

2 weeks was hardly enough time to be fair Grumpy no excuse required :sunglasses: , took me month**s to perfect it, but doing so gave me an edge when presented with a column change MAN and again later whe the Eaton Twin Splitter came about.
In the end i loved that Foden box for what it did for me, i know some (most :blush: ) on the PDF take the ■■■■ when i suggest we go back to proper gearboxes, but if we did go back to lorries that needed to be driven there wouldn’t the oversubscription of sub standards out there and as a result the wages would have to rise to tempt those who can to do :bulb:

** do we ever stop learning? after all these years i’m still tweaking what i do on the road and after 2 years with my current steed still fine tuning how i use it to get the best out of it, whats they say about every day being a schoolday.

Can you give me any tips on getting the best out of a Merc 12 speed auto box ? :smiling_imp:
After 6 years of driving it, it still pishes me off, so i am obviously doing something wrong

Suedehead:

Juddian:

grumpy old man:

Juddian:

Can you give me any tips on getting the best out of a Merc 12 speed auto box ? :smiling_imp:
After 6 years of driving it, it still pishes me off, so i am obviously doing something wrong

Not a hope in hell, if its any consolation you have my sympathy :laughing:

A i avoid 'em like the plague
B never found anything you did the few times i drove 'em made the slightest difference

One of the most underrated motors i drove for a decent period was the good old square Axor in 2543 model, so the 430 engine but with a simple slapover 8 speed box, that engine’s a peach in that its the nearest i found to an old ■■■■■■■■ lug right down to 800 rpm and as you apply the throttle the tell tale whistle of the turbo spooling up was accompained by masses of smooth climbing torque, all those i used with the autobox were bloody awful by comparison, completely ruined an otherwise very decent simple working wagon.
Only driven the newer shape Actros a handful of times and if i never have to use one again that’d be fine, again suspect if fitted with a manual box it would be a different motor altogether.

Like Ossie D and grumpy old man,above,I first drove a 4 wheeler when I was 17/18.I used to work for Warwicks Brewery in Newark when it closed and i signed up as a mate on the drays.After several pub deliveries and a pint after each the driver would be “sleepy” and I was encouraged to drive the lorry back to Newark,stopping just out of town to wake up the driver and swap seats.

Carryfast:

carryfast-yeti:

Carryfast:
Finally left the council and started 15 years of night trunking based Feltham DAF 2800 and two return runs to Kilworth.

proper job :slight_smile:
can you remember Jeff Rabone? …at one time night manager at NK,as well as being a part-time plod.

Often don’t even remember the names of my own depot staff now.I can remember Tony Kersey the phone chucker and someone from the old firm on here later reminded me of Chris Aldridge.Tony died quite early on.
That job especially was generally just a quick trailer swap and back to Feltham for my break and then same again to avoid the morning traffic on the way back on the second run.
Bonus points if it was just a single trailer for the shift.Get back quick go home proper job and finish terms in those days.But I think some of them transferred to Nuneaton ?. :smiley:
Do you remember Kelly at Dewsbury he was reputed to have a bad temper but I got on with him fine.Although I had a few ‘arguments’ with Krska based there in my time.

i remember Kelly…i got on fine with him too…but they say you could hear his voice bellowing away at the top of the hill on a still night :laughing:
yes,when Kilworth closed (a very sad day for me :frowning: ,as i was also courting the girl from the nearby Rose Nurseries at the time),a few transferred to Nuneaton,but i took redundancy and got a job with my dad on tippers for Redland.

Wasn’t newly qualified as took me years to find someone who would give me the chance and not bleet on about experience. That I was driving coach loads of people around Europe at time didn’t seem to matter. First job 3 years after passing was with Nolans, ship out to Liverpool and deliver a load of timber Manchester. Fun times

[attachment=0]4A562620-1724-44E6-B69E-376ABB2AE41E.jpeg[/attachment]

switchlogic:
Wasn’t newly qualified as took me years to find someone who would give me the chance and not bleet on about experience. That I was driving coach loads of people around Europe at time didn’t seem to matter. First job 3 years after passing was with Nolans, ship out to Liverpool and deliver a load of timber Manchester. Fun times

Must have been a bit of a ball ache loading timber in a fridge trailer Luke :stuck_out_tongue:

Switchlogic.You never drove the old single cab double deckers around Europe did you?When i lived in Belgium and spent some time in the Monte Carlo Bar in Zeebrugge(1980s/90s) the old buses were a fairly regular sight chugging off the ferries.

Suedehead:

switchlogic:

Must have been a bit of a ball ache loading timber in a fridge trailer Luke :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a box :wink: And you can tell I’d been there a while at that stage from the tanks :smiley:

Gidders:
Switchlogic.You never drove the old single cab double deckers around Europe did you?When i lived in Belgium and spent some time in the Monte Carlo Bar in Zeebrugge(1980s/90s) the old buses were a fairly regular sight chugging off the ferries.

Good lord no! Sort of the opposite

Pictured at a Chateau we used to stay at in Chantilly on southbound tours. That full sized coach has 28 airline style seats in it and all hotels were 4 and 5 stars. Very small part of my work history (months not years) but one of the very best

switchlogic:

Gidders:

Pictured at a Chateau we used to stay at in Chantilly on southbound tours. That full sized coach has 28 airline style seats in it and all hotels were 4 and 5 stars. Very small part of my work history (months not years) but one of the very best

Hope you dont mind me asking. If the job was that good, why the switch from PSV to HGV driving?

I don’t remember my first class 1 job as it took me a couple of years to save up for a unit & trailer (in the process HGV licences started & I hadn’t quite got enough time in for Grandfather rights).

I hadn’t intended to take up truck driving, but bought a motor to live in whilst at college as I couldn’t get a grant on the Basis I was already qualified as a Merchant Navy officer.

My first HGV drive was a real bum clencher, I was living in London at the time and bought a BMC FFK 150 with a 35ft 2,000 cu ft body from a motor dealer’s yard in West London, no MOT but I was going to register as a motorhome so back then MOTs were not needed for over 3tons ULW.

I hadn’t driven anything bigger than a 15cwt Ford Thames, so getting it home was a challenge especially as it was missing a near side mirror.

The first challenge was a tight T Junction, I misjudged it and needed a shunt - that was lesson 1 and quickly learnt.
But I made it, and after that and a new left side mirror driving it became quite enjoyable, in spite of the noise in the cab or having to reach back for the gear lever.

The college gig went ■■■■ up and I had a wagon needing a new purpose, luckily it went through testing & plating, albeit needing a going over on the sump with rags to hide a slight oil leak.
I applied and got an interim O Licence, so started a new career as an owner driver, no idea how things worked in the industry but through reading Trade Mags like Headlight & Commercial motor and asking lots of questions I gradually got to grips with it.

In the early days I carried all sorts like Brillo Pads, Sleeping Bags and on one occasion Shredded Wheat from Welwyn to up Durham way, they had ordered a 40 footer but with 2000cu ft I matched it on capacity.

After using up a library of Log Books and working through 2 more rigids, a Bedford KM unit, and passing Class1, I had saved enough to buy a Mercedes 1418 and was kitted up for International work, in no time at all running regularly to the Middle East with a fair bit of my own work too. Then replacing the 1418 with a V10 320bhp LHD Merc LPS1932, the forerunner of the NG Mercs.

Although I hadn’t set out to be a driver, it turned out to be something that I took to like a duck to water and had some of the best times of my life.

Definitely started at the right time when the opportunities were there, no way now to start in the industry the way I did, and not the same help from other drivers as there was in those days.

Suedehead:

switchlogic:

Gidders:

Hope you dont mind me asking. If the job was that good, why the switch from PSV to HGV driving?

Not at all- I didn’t leave that particular job to drive trucks, they went bust, was driving coaches another couple of years after that. But I always dreamed of driving lorries, bus and coach driving was incidental after a local company offered to put me through my PSV at 19. I’m glad they did, I’ve loved the variety of doing both and will do a mix of both when I return to work as I had been for the year before the crash.

I learnt to drive on a Guy 4 wheeler with 5 speed box and 2 speed axle, the first job was a multi drop to the car factories around Coventry , when I got back to the yard one of the old drivers commented how fast my lorry was, I replied that it wasn’t bad but I was disappointed it hadn’t got the two speed axle, he then said that sixth gear more than made up for it though for top speed, surprised, I said I hadn’t realized it had a sixth gear, I had driven from Derbyshire to Coventry and back without realizing it had another gear, the following day I found out how quick it really was, once I got it rolling.
Steve