What was the first lorry you drove .

After fitting my own radio to Atkinson and Guy Big J lorries I drove, the first factory fitted was in 1976 a Volvo F88 I used for Middle East work, it was nice to have a bit of music on them long journeys.
Steve

The first lorry I drove legally was a 1974 B series 6x4 with a David Brown box & a 150 Gardner, it had a radio fitted which worked
well, but the best tunes come from every gear change for quite some time :laughing:

First lorry I drove was a Thornycroft Trident ex Valley Carriers Penarth 215 UTG registered iirc 1961.
In order for me to drive it aged 18 in 1965 had to take everything off it we could get away with to get it under three ton unladen weight. Would have had to be twenty one other wise.
I drove it delivering steel around South Wales from Port Talbot steelworks which was what I did until I retired in 2011 but obviously on heavier stuff as time went on.
As for a radio in the Thorny, never even thought of it
Regards, Mr Steel

Hi all, my first lorry in 1972 age 18 was a bedford TK last one age 64 in 2017 was a DAF CF in the 45 years i drove lorries all over europe i never ha on with air conditioning, but must admit i think they all had radio’s. :sunglasses:

Radio - what was that? Didn’t even have a bloody heater!

Steve

Well I drove an Austin 3 way loader van, Along with another Austin 2 Tonner with a Burtonwood Tail lift,But when I reached 21 in 1956, I dove my first artic, The good old Scammell mechancil horse JVK 44, For Baxters Road Services Ltd Quayside Newcastle on Tyne, They were some of the best times I had, I went on to drive several motors But sadley not a lot of photos, Regards Larry.

I got this 4 wheeler Atki, in 1960 Brand New, It was very underpowered, A Gardner 4 LW. , With a silly 5 speed box, With the fith gear as an overdrive, It did have a heater in but not the best, One had to commit the Cardinal sin and put a sheet of newspaper on the Rad, Oh dear naughtey doings in those days,But Im still here & enjoying what years ive got left :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: , Regards Larry.

Of course a French lorry when I got my heavy licence in 1979, and certainly a Berliet. Either a GAK (top), or GLR (yellow). No pictures of the true lorries unfortunately, just because I never thought I would one day be interested in having one! How silly and short-sighted I was.

Did they have radios though. :question:

Trucks of the '60s and '70s sometimes had radios, but the noise of the engine often was so high that one couldn’t hear it properly. Excepted when stopped, of course, and waiting for loading/unloading. I remember that, when driving my 1969 Unic P200, I had to put in my ears chewed toilet-paper balls, so the engine noise was deafening!

First non HGV with a fitted radio would have been a Ford A series 7.5 tonner, circa 1973/4/5.

First HGV would have been a Scania 110 circa 78/9 (vehicle made in 72? K regd), before that i’d had Fodens without a radio, after that ERF’s the same, used to take a tape player with me on nights on the ERF, screwed to a board together with two wedge speakers popular at the time for placing on a rear parcel shelf in your car, long cable and two croc clips for connecting to one of the batteries, that sat on the bonnet and lasted several months till inevitably i gave it 24V instead of its required 12 and the thing worked better than ever for about 20 minutes then it went up in smoke :laughing:

Suedehead:
. . that had a factory /dealer radio fitted

I think it was CLC 804Y (a Bedford TL) in 1983. Up to that point I’d been lumbered with an assortment of TKs and D-series that had an MW/LW radio bodged in or nothing at all.

Suedehead:
Sorry for the ramblings.

Don’t be daft. I used to love listening to John Peel at night, even if some of what he played wasn’t my thing.

AEC Mandator. Tractor only from Dover to London for Avis Truck Rental, before HGV licensing!

Ford D Series - MW LW only.

1985 , radio cassette in a y reg Maggie deutz drawbar on distance work .

I remember a new Dodge in 1966 that had a Mopar radio fitted, a chap across the road who just passed away had a J reg Guy big J. He fitted his own and I would sit in it for hours in the yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk