What the hell has gone wrong?

I think one of the biggest issues with the job these days, it just that, it’s just a job to pay the bills. Very few have grown up around the industry or have any interest in the job or vehicles, they just see the wage and nothing more.
Whereas for those of us who, grew up learning the job years before we could hold licenses, understood that this is far from just a job. It forms such a huge part of your life , that you are better seeing it as a lifestyle choice. Of course with the fact it’s now logistics rather than haulage it makes it a far less of an enjoyable lifestyle.

Chunkzilla:
I think one of the biggest issues with the job these days, it just that, it’s just a job to pay the bills. Very few have grown up around the industry or have any interest in the job or vehicles, they just see the wage and nothing more.
Whereas for those of us who, grew up learning the job years before we could hold licenses, understood that this is far from just a job. It forms such a huge part of your life , that you are better seeing it as a lifestyle choice. Of course with the fact it’s now logistics rather than haulage it makes it a far less of an enjoyable lifestyle.

This about sums it up plus from what I have experienced the new drivers seem to shun any kind of help.

There was a lad where I work that was loading a trailer that had a specific way of doing the curtains up I see he was doing it the wrong way so I went to help him only to be told to ■■■■ off.

After 40 odd years of doing the job I still ask if I don’t know the craic even if it’s newb that’s done the job.
That’s how it should be in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beetee07:

Chunkzilla:

This about sums it up plus from what I have experienced the new drivers seem to shun any kind of help.

There was a lad where I work that was loading a trailer that had a specific way of doing the curtains up I see he was doing it the wrong way so I went to help him only to be told to [zb] off.

After 40 odd years of doing the job I still ask if I don’t know the craic even if it’s newb that’s done the job.

I’m glad to see someone who’s been around the block who is willing to ask us who are not long out of nappies if we know the answer, ya never know we might surprise you!

Chunkzilla:

beetee07:

Chunkzilla:

There was a lad where I work that was loading a trailer that had a specific way of doing the curtains up I see he was doing it the wrong way so I went to help him only to be told to [zb] off.

I’m glad to see someone who’s been around the block who is willing to ask us who are not long out of nappies if we know the answer, ya never know we might surprise you!

Sorry but no you won’t when I passed my test a long long while ago my instructor said to me now you learn to drive never be afraid to ask and you will learn something new every day.

With 2 years to go till retirement I still learn and will still ask.

Think I’ve learnt the drive bit by now but still prefer a stick and clutch.

Chunkzilla:

What is so special about this job that makes you feel you need to have grown up around it? How many people go to work every day to pay the bills, you are making the job into something more complex than it actually is, all jobs form a huge part of your life. You don’t need to have grown up around it nor is there any prerequisite to have an interest in the vehicles. I personally have very little interest in what vehicle I drive. Only thing I agree with you on is the job of tramping is most certainly a lifestyle job. Multi drops, day work etc is not a lifestyle job that gets handed down through generations.

UKtramp:

Chunkzilla:

What is so special about this job that makes you feel you need to have grown up around it? How many people go to work every day to pay the bills, you are making the job into something more complex than it actually is, all jobs form a huge part of your life. You don’t need to have grown up around it nor is there any prerequisite to have an interest in the vehicles. I personally have very little interest in what vehicle I drive. Only thing I agree with you on is the job of tramping is most certainly a lifestyle job. Multi drops, day work etc is not a lifestyle job that gets handed down through generations.

I think you will find the op was referring to tramping.

When I started no one in my family had been anywhere near transport but it does get in your blood I’ve come away from it 3 or 4 times but always come back to it.

If you had a blood test done at the doctors, I doubt he would come back with the diagnosis of you have trucking in your blood. However I understand what your saying.

Uktramp, it helps to have grown up around it. You know what you are signing up for.
Tramping especially, but the majority of the industry as well is crazy hours, early starts, late nights etc. If you come into the industry (particularly when you’re young), if you aren’t passionate about the job it will not be a pleasant learning curve.
I don’t believe that you need to have been around it your whole life, but it certainly helps you to make an informed choice. It isn’t like the majority of jobs with fixed hours etc.

Chunkzilla:
Uktramp, it helps to have grown up around it. You know what you are signing up for.
Tramping especially, but the majority of the industry as well is crazy hours, early starts, late nights etc. If you come into the industry (particularly when you’re young), if you aren’t passionate about the job it will not be a pleasant learning curve.
I don’t believe that you need to have been around it your whole life, but it certainly helps you to make an informed choice. It isn’t like the majority of jobs with fixed hours etc.

I know exactly what your saying, but the way you have wrote it out now makes more sense than in your first post.

UKtramp:

Chunkzilla:

I know exactly what your saying, but the way you have wrote it out now makes more sense than in your first post.

Fair point, I should have put more thought into my initial post.

Todays society litterly has everything done for them including a##es getting wiped.
Can’t think or do for themselves.
Must post everything I do on social media. We’re dommed a tell yi doomed.

We’re paided to do not paided to ask.

Chunkzilla:

I thought I knew what I was signing up for thanks to reading TNUK… I’ve been pleasantly surprised! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

When I started in transport some 24yrs ago @ 22yrs old (first job tramping Sun-Fri)
I knew what was ahead and expected. (Make ends meet with a wee bit of fiddling).
Yes things have changed with the fiddling bit but come on.
Today’s greenhorns seem to expect it all on a plate.
I ask you would you have gotten on the Titanc?
No I doubt it so why moan.

Rant over, coat collected.