What happened to ponsonbys

Carl:
thats mike ponsonby hanson i used to work with mike at a s taylor mike is a relative im sure his uncle ran ponsonbys of brum mikes trucks are sprayed in the same blue as ponsonbys

But Mike left the family firm back in the 80s I think to be a manager for Ryder. I knew him when we set up the Ryder takeover of the fleet at Courtaulds/Toray .
We were good friends for a while but fell out later over various matters. Has he gone back into haulage then?

I did 12 months with them,Then the work dried up so i left,shortly after the packed up,
Dj ponsonby became highcare solutions,
Looked a good outfit on the outside but it wasn’t very well run and they were loosing a fortune,Like we’d load for glasgow on a regular night trunk,park up ring in for a back load,nothing.Run back empty,

We did alot of airfreight to brussels and amsterdam.

The motors were always top notch and when i was there it was a great bunch of drivers aswell.

I believe mark is now doing something feom solihull but i don’t know what.
I wished i had some piccies to post on here

Tonyb

Is this related to the piano shifter ponsonby too?

I have several pics from truckfest’s that i’ll stick on here when i get a chance. Some Scania’s, FL’s early FH’s i believe and a Eurotech and fridge trailer in Cadbury colours which i believe was theirs.

des ponsonby is the man you are thinking of with highcare/low wages basic fleet spec scanias. bit of more than he could chew rates and work wise. if you hit good fuel consumption etc etc. your reward was to be able to park your car in the md’s parking space. wow that would feed the kids. there was a article in truck&driver about them years ago.

over to you dreva ■■?

r slicker:
des ponsonby is the man you are thinking of with highcare/low wages basic fleet spec scanias. bit of more than he could chew rates and work wise. if you hit good fuel consumption etc etc. your reward was to be able to park your car in the md’s parking space. wow that would feed the kids. there was a article in truck&driver about them years ago.

over to you dreva ■■?

I t wasn’t like that when i was there it was all new or newish kit and we were paid for every hour we did,didn’t even get deducted a break.

I had a 113 streamliner when i started on a N plate.When it was sold it went to irleand.Then when i saw it next it was repainted and overtook me a hell of alot faster than when i had it.

They lost alot of contracts in the end and thats what finished them.

But as ive said,The bunch of drivers were top notch.Probably the best ive ever worked with, and not a load of backstabbers and bum lickers ive had the pleasure to work with

Tonyb

i remember the article in one of the mags and the director really fancied himself going on about driving assessments and the drivers wearing ties… not the place for me.

r slicker:

over to you dreva ■■?

do have the said article and the one when he went into administration will find them and post them up :wink: :wink: :wink:

Wheel Nut:
Is this related to the piano shifter ponsonby too?

That will be paul ponsonby from redditch.He’s part of the same family.

Tonyb

Roger Breaker:
I have several pics from truckfest’s that i’ll stick on here when i get a chance. Some Scania’s, FL’s early FH’s i believe and a Eurotech and fridge trailer in Cadbury colours which i believe was theirs.

I’ll look forward to seeing them.

Tonyb

Paul Ponsonby’s place is on Hurricane park in Erdington/Washwood Heath.
You can see it as you pass by on the M6 s/b just before the Fort shopping centre.

jase:
Paul Ponsonby’s place is on Hurricane park in Erdington/Washwood Heath.
You can see it as you pass by on the M6 s/b just before the Fort shopping centre.

Do you know the pianos on my foot?

You hum it son. I’ll play it :stuck_out_tongue:

still looking for the articles sorry :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:but been routing and found the 1987 truck interview with the brothers so hope that will keep you going till i find the other one :wink: :wink:

A good read that, thanks dreva.

jerry

has anyone else noticed, the two businesses in the LLD have both gone now? Is it the curse of TRUCK magazine again??

macs and ponsonby were in both several times :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

spardo differant mike the mike i worked with is in his early 30,s
a link to pics of mike ponsonby,s trucks

Carl:
spardo differant mike the mike i worked with is in his early 30,s
a link to pics of mike ponsonby,s trucks
fotopic.net

Could it be a son then Carl? But Mike (the one I knew) definitely said Des was one of his brothers and that 2 of them had taken over the business from his father. There was a hint that they didn’t get on which was why he was no longer connected with the family firm.

jerry truckartist:
This outfit used to load out of Bibby distribution’s Leeds depot when i worked ther during the early 90’s, about the time when they’d just bought a some scania topline’s & had the Highcare tautliners. I knew a few of the drivers, but can’t remember any names, apart from Fred … one of their night drivers, a mad Brummie, a real character, who i think was shown the door for doing a bit if wheeling & dealing out of hours… Also at this time There was an immaculate scania 111 running in ponsonby’s colours, not sure if it was one of there motors, or if it belonged to a subbie, any info ?

HELLO JERRY YES FRED WAS A CHARACTER AND HARD AS A ROCK A REAL GRAFTER ! HE NOW WORKS AT A TURKEY FARM IN REDDITCH.THE 111 LRS860W WAS A DAYCAB USED FOR LOCAL WORK BUT IT WAS SO GOOD THEY SENT IT AWAY TO BE CONVERTED TO A SLEEPER CAB AND WENT UP AND DOWN THE RD IT WAS SOLD TO ONE OF THE DRIVERS WHO RAN IT AS A FULL TIME SUBBIE IN D J P COLOURS I WISH I HAD SOME PICS OF IT.
MIKE PONSONBY