What happened to Chris Hudson International?

Hi Kirbs, do you know what the connection was ( if any ) between Chris Hudson International and CHET TRUX who ran out of I.I.R.C. Ostende or Zeebrugge in the seventies. Chet trux had a few english drivers working for them
Jim Smethurst and Brian Cobb being two of them running Spanish Pagasos down to the Middle East. Chets colours were identical to Chris Hudsons and I seem to remember that they were all on Belgium number plates. I have asked this question on here before but it drew a blank as somebody once told me that CHET stood for Chris Hudson European Transport or was this just another ferry story ( or should it be fairy story ).

Like a transit on steroids. Exactly right. When I was writing about my time at CHI, I thought they were like transits but surely that couldn’t be right. But it was. And yes, they did have tilt trailers.
I don’t think I knew Mark Saunders. I left in 1982 during (what I saw as) the IBM fiasco. A few trailers with jo-loader rails - not enough for the contract and those that had them were often damaged and rejected by IBM. I also had to do the accounts for the contacts, and I’m not good with num8er5 and accounts. That’s why I’m in graphic design now.
The West Thurrock mention may have been MVH, where the trailers were serviced, repaired and MOT’d. Does Dave Learmouth ring a bell?
Hudsons did have a small fleet of tractor units, but mostly it was owner-drivers and sub-contract firms. Don Collison’s from around Dagenham, a firm in Matlock - the name will come to me, A(miram) White - he used to fill the office with pipe smoke. Can’t remember, but I think the rate was 15p or 55p a mile in the early 80’s. Well I did tell you I was no good with figures.
There were about 30-40 trailer deliveries a day. Pick up from Felixstowe through the night, drive, tip, drive, pick up, back to Felixstowe. No mobile phones, so drivers had two numbers to call, Import (I’m at Felixstowe and need another trailer) and export (I’m empty, where do I go now?). I remember clients seemed to think we were running an airline rather than a road haulage company - ‘where’s my trailer, it’s 15 minutes late’.
I used to do the in-house magazine (typewriter and photocopier) and there are still some copies in the loft for those who have no life at all. There might even be some photos. I had a camera, so I became the company photographer (the A-class - see above, the first outing for the monoframe, the company brochure…)
If you had anything to do with Chris Hudson’s, you may remember Chas King, an absolute gentleman, sadly long gone I guess. Other names come to mind, Terry Poulson, who hired me, Chris himself, Chris’ sons, his brother Russell, their wives/girlfriends/ex’s who worked there; Terry O’Brien imported from Ford’s along with his son Michael - and his girlfriend Julie. David Farren, John Furness, Mike Evans, Frank Barrow, Roy Rosier, Julian… can’t remember(again), I’ve had a beer or two, but his mum/aunt was there too. Jackie and Yvonne Finn, Stuart Pinnock, Laurie (good name for the business, don’t you think?) Derry the lay preacher in repairs… If any of my former colleagues are reading this, I can see your faces, but… If you want to get in touch, go to uk.linkedin.com/in/colinkirby247. I’d like to hear from you.
As for the drivers, we saw too little of them in the office. Great characters, but at this time of night I can only remember Eric Lucas from Liverpool and Micky Tisdale from the West Midlands.
Hudsons used Allport at Felixstowe for export/import documentation (hello, Gerry Hatt and John Disney) and Ewals of Tegelen on the continent (Gus Doove, Jack van der Kerkhof). Now I see their trailers where Chis Hudsons should be, if it weren’t for the obsession with the monoframe.
Inevitably, my recollections are skewed to the office life. It was a good place to work, very sociable. Subsidised canteen and bar, they used to invite clients for table tennis and Scalextric evenings. Not great now, but in the late 70’s -early 80’s… well, no, not great then either.
By the way, Len Woolard at Ford’s, (if you’re still with us) did you ever consider treating people with respect? I’ve found it’s a great way to get what you want.

mushroomman:
Hi Kirbs, do you know what the connection was ( if any ) between Chris Hudson International and CHET TRUX who ran out of I.I.R.C. Ostende or Zeebrugge in the seventies. Chet trux had a few english drivers working for them
Jim Smethurst and Brian Cobb being two of them running Spanish Pagasos down to the Middle East. Chets colours were identical to Chris Hudsons and I seem to remember that they were all on Belgium number plates. I have asked this question on here before but it drew a blank as somebody once told me that CHET stood for Chris Hudson European Transport or was this just another ferry story ( or should it be fairy story ).

Greetings,
Our postings have crossed, but I’d forgotten about CHET.
Chris Hudson Ewals Tegelen. (I went there once during the Falklands war. We were taken to a restaurant that served horse. Fresh, mind you. Some were still wandering the paddock with long faces.) Most likely Felixstowe to Europort or Zeebrugge. Sometimes Dover if the weather closed Felixstowe. There were 2 nightly spaces on the 23:30 Dover-Zeebrugge crossing. During my time, the furthest we went was northern Italy (Permasso■■?). Most traffic was Belgium, Germany, Holland
This is desperately sad, I’m planning a trip to the attic to see what I can find.

would love to see the newsletters and photos - yes, i have no life :wink:

hi my name is alan newton i worked for chet truck in 77/78 driving a transcon based at tegelen near venlo running mainley germany the boss was jack van der kerkoff but was owned by chris hudson other drivers i can rember were steve shearer a guy named ron and cliff i left and went to work for s jones saudi hope this sheds alight on chettrucks by the way transcons supplied by neyt at lorkeren yours alantruck

jj72:
would love to see the newsletters and photos - yes, i have no life :wink:

me too, I have no life either

Blimey, Chet trucks, what a palava.
I used to leave my car on the top of the car park in Eastern Docks for 2 weeks at a time!
bet you couldnt do that now!

At least I could stand up in the Ford to get dressed !

Bloody hell.
Colin Kirby ! you dragged up some names from the past for me.
I must admit, everyone in CHI was very nice to me !
The best firm anyone could work for.

The DAF was hired from BRS in Cambridge Road,by Chris Hudsons before they bought the 81`s.

They forgot about the O licence that was needed! [we never got done though] :unamused:

Where are the old Chris Hudson drivers then?
Anyone remember loading milk powder in Totnes or Sturminster Newton ?
Or trying to find your trailer in Beckton, then at 2 in the morning finding it sunk 9 inches into the ground and using a mixture of leg winding and the old Ford shunter to get the ■■■■■■■ thing high enough for the the crappy 81 to get under it!

Or the subbies…
Don Collison
Stewkley Haulage
The guy with the 86 that used to cook everyone dinner in the cab !
Traction 76 [nice dark blue and orange livery]

The ex copper from Staffordshire who drove for CHET trucks and CHI
The original driver from Witham who drove the A series mini artic

ex CHI driver “Crunchie” from York and all his mates of course!

Not forgetting the wonderful transport manager,Brian Bunker, who was a tanker driver at heart really!

if my memory gets better I will add more!

More names to stir memories… (some already mentioned)

Terry Poulson (he hired me in 1975/6) - see posts and photos from terryavc; Chas King; Colin Clayton; Frank Barrow; Chris Hudson (+ 2 sons); Russell Hudson; Terry O’Brien; Michael O’Brien; Brian Bunker; Jackie and Yvonne Finn; Alan White; Mike Evans; Roy Rosier; Julian (? - his mum worked in admin); John Furness; Derry (?);

Drivers/Contractors
Don Collison in Dagenham; Amiram White; Dean (and Winifred) Bowers from Matlock; Robin Taft; Peter Roff; Micky Tisdale; Eric Lucas;

Allport Felixstowe
John Disney, Gerry Hatt

Ewals Tegelen
Gus Doove; Jack van der Kerkhof

Not forgetting the magnificent Colin Kirby!

This could turn into a mini-friends reunited. Anyone want to fund it? No, I thought not.