What age did you get your first driving job at?

Passed me class 1 in 1982 at the age of 21 but spent the first year or so on rigids. First "proper job was for Bees tpt- Feltham depot.

OllieNotts:
Don’t own a unit no meant my own regular unit to myself. Having a few issues with the gaffa and think it would be best I move on. Had head office about it And its made him worse so don’t know what I’ll do now. Not much about though so I’m putting up with his [zb] :stuck_out_tongue:

I know what that can be like as I had more guvnors over the years who I did’nt get on with than those who I did.It’s all part of getting experience in the industry and it’s just one of the reasons which made me think that owner driving was the best way of progressing.I always found that many guvnors’ attitude seemed to be worse when times were like they are now with less jobs to choose from but uk long distance/international and most jobs where they treat you well were always in short supply as word got around and it’s difficult phoning around to see what’s going when you’re working but things were even worse than today when I started out.Reading all this on here brings back memories.

the maoster:
17 years young. (Army). Did my Class 3 one Friday, my Class 1 the Friday after (no Class 2) and on the Monday got given a dirty, drab olive green Antar tank transporter to play with! No wonder BAOR paid so much in damage claims. :smiley: :smiley:

Probably to Germans driving into the back of it because of the speed they went.The Diamond T was just as quick but maybe not with a Cheiftan on the back.

past class 1 and 2 at 17 (army) got out bit later did a year on class 2 then mved to class 1 not looked back since
not really had any problems finding work although should be much easier in january i turn 25 then the worlds my oyster :laughing: :laughing:

i left school at 16, worked in a transport office until i was 17 where i built up a few contacts so to speak, and got a job at 17 on a van, which i then progressed up through 7.5 tonner, rigid and then artic all payed for by my old boss

I started driving a 7.5 tonner when I was 18, passed my Class 1 at 21, 1 hour after I passed was on my way to Great Yarmouth with a 1635 Merc loaded with pipes, that was an eye opener, from driving an empty training vehicle with a 20ft trailer to driving a 38t, 40 footer within an hour, I had a few brown pants moments I can tell you :grimacing:

I’m back to driving a 7.5tonner again though, but fingers crossed i will get back on the artics one day :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

passed C in Nov 2008 aged 22, got job driving 7.5 tonne in March 09. Did my C&E April 2009, got C&E job in June 2009. I’m now the ripe old age of 23

Passed my first driving test aged 19 in the army.Went on to be a Chieftain driving instructor by the time I left in 1968,aged 25.
This was before the HGV licence came out.
My first job in civvy street was tramping in a Bedford TK,and within 6 months had moved up to my first artic,an AEC Mandator with a 30 foot single axle trailer.
Got my class 1 licence under grandfather rights when they first came out.

I was 17 but went to Germany in a 7.5tonne caravan transporter when I was 18

I have been involved with the trade since my mid-teens, but have been driving trucks since I was eighteen.
I passed my class 3 in 1981 on a young driver’s scheme. My Dad had two trucks a Bedford TK 1260 and an AEC Mercury.
I used to love the AEC, because it had power assisted steering and it sound ‘meaty’. It was a noisy bugger and between that
and a few doses of ’ Heavy Metal ’ , I’m as deaf as a post in my left ear.

Used to be all Farm work. Fertiliser, Hay,Straw, Beet pulp and livestock. Mostly hand ball. If you saw a fork truck on a farm,
you would think you had died and gone to heaven.

Usually met with a paper note saying ’ Gone to market, can you stack it in the loft ? ’ :smiling_imp:

driverofhope:
?

driverofhope:
And what about first class 1?

Passed my Class 1 at 21 and 3 days later was sent of to Rungis in a Lhd FH12 on my own!!

Never looked back!!

Griff82:
Passed my Class 1 at 21 and 3 days later was sent of to Rungis in a Lhd FH12 on my own!!

Never looked back!!

Hope you looked forward though ? :smiley:

Drove an old 10 ton Bedford tipper on a car licence at eighteen, the tipper was classed as ‘plant’ and used on road resurfacing work, was never entirely sure as to if that was really legal or not :wink: . Took my HGV1 at 21 years and nineteen days old. 55 now and still at it…seen the best days of this game for sure.