West Yorkshire to Lancashire old routes

Lawrence Dunbar:
0IIRC This was taken on The Standedge near Motormans Café, Regards Larry.

Great home made radiator blind

Spud1960:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Great home made radiator blind

Yes very popular in those days, :laughing: :laughing: Regards Larry.

Memories of Snake Pass. I think I only ever went over it once in the truck. This would be about 1970. Maybe March. I was normally carting toilet rolls in a 40’ van from Bowater Scott in Barrow, with whatever return loads were available.

Freezers were the new ‘thing’. A car salesman whose name was, I think, Jim Diamond, had opened a freezer display shop in the middle of a housing estate in Barrow. A discussion with a chum in the ‘Bay Horse’, a Hawcoat pub for the under 25s, resulted in me arriving in front of the said shop at 5.00am on a freezing day when I had no load out of Bowaters. Repeated knocks on the door of the flat next door eventually exhumed a very drunk (I was going to put hung over, but he hadn’t even reached that stage yet) young man. He was to accompany me to the freezer factory in Sheffield.

‘Erm, we had a party last night.’ Were about the only words he uttered for about 3 hours. He had been to the factory before and was to be my guide. He instantly fell asleep. We went to Manchester and I headed over the snake pass with almost zero input from my sleeping chum.

As I’m sure many on here know, winter lasts longer on the Pennines! I spent about three wheel spinning hours across that pass. Eventually we descended into Sheffield. I realised that he had no clue to where the factory actually was when he said ‘Erm, it’s a sort of white building’.

I found it it without his help. We wasted an hour while my new friend established his company’s credit worthiness. At one point I thought we were heading home empty. After several phone calls we eventually loaded the freezers.

We headed back for Manchester and then Barrow over the snake. The weather had improved slightly and we arrived back in Barrow at about 7pm.

Salesmen are not willing labourers! By about 9pm I was empty. I asked for the money. Oh, naive! I should have asked for the money before unloading. A friend of a friend is not necessarily trustworthy!

I did get the money. My 90 year old Grandmother, who was harder than me, visited every day for a month. ‘He needs the money for his dissil!’

All part of the learning curve.

John

moomooland:

Lawrence Dunbar:
2IIRC This was taken on The Standedge near Motormans Café, Regards Larry.

It was actually taken outside the Eagles Nest cafe which was located just before Standedge cutting it was also an Esso garage which can be seen in the background of this picture below.
Below is another picture of the A62 were it passes through Waterhead.

The picture at Waterhead has woken bad memories. I was only a young van lad, (5 days a week, Central Manchester, Harrisons Of Dewsbury). No M62 in those days, we were coming home, Alan Ainsworth driving our Albion Chieften and we killed an old lady. The poor old dear had got off the bus, walked straight out between vehicles without looking, Sadly she was dead before she hit the floor. That was nearly 60 years ago, I still remember it. :frowning:

I can remember one winters night when stopping for a cuppa at Standege Services when a cattle wagon driver was in a spot of bother, He came into the Café in a terrible state, He had a load of Beast on & one of them was down on the floor, So all the drivers present offered there help & formed a wall around his wagon so he could let the cattle out & get the one up off the floor, It took about an hour to do this but Im pleased to say that it worked out OK & he offered to buy the teas for us but of course there was no need for his nice gesture as all the drivers were just pleased for him, This would be about 1959, When anyone with a problem in those days could be sure of some help from drivers, As we all stuck together in those good old days, Long gone sadley to say, Regards Larry. PS I was driving a A Type Bedford at that Time for Baxters Road Services Quayside Newcastle on Tyne, TVK 123. Perhaps this driver is on this thread ? That was driving this cattle wagon.

I think this photo must have been taken at Standedge, see the tunnel ventilation outlets in the background.
Regards. John.

old 67:
I think this photo must have been taken at Standedge, see the tunnel ventilation outlets in the background.
Regards. John.

Outside Motorman’s Café I think John.
What a cracking photo of my favourite wagon,the AEC MK5.I remember Tyburn very well.

Chris Webb:

old 67:
Regards. John.

What a cracking photo of my favourite wagon,the AEC MK5.I remember Tyburn very well.

Me to Chris, I wish I had a Shilling for every time I went across the old Standege, Before the Standege Services opened we all used to stop at Annies Café on the right when you took the right hand turn at The Horse & Jockey Pub, Of course she was only open from 7.30am till 9pm in those days so our stop was mostley on the way back from Manchester, First class grub I may add, Better the the Standege Services by a long chalk, I wish I could turn the old clock back & do it all again, My good Lady thinks Im a sad old ■■■■■ But that’s the way I am, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Regards larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
I can remember one winters night when stopping for a cuppa at Standege Services when a cattle wagon driver was in a spot of bother, He came into the Café in a terrible state, He had a load of Beast on & one of them was down on the floor, So all the drivers present offered there help & formed a wall around his wagon so he could let the cattle out & get the one up off the floor, It took about an hour to do this but Im pleased to say that it worked out OK & he offered to buy the teas for us but of course there was no need for his nice gesture as all the drivers were just pleased for him, This would be about 1959, When anyone with a problem in those days could be sure of some help from drivers, As we all stuck together in those good old days, Long gone sadley to say, Regards Larry. PS I was driving a A Type Bedford at that Time for Baxters Road Services Quayside Newcastle on Tyne, TVK 123. Perhaps this driver is on this thread ? That was driving this cattle wagon.

I think there was a different attitude then about ‘getting the job done’. I wrote a while ago about my uncle stopping overnight at a Nissen Hut shaped digs somewhere near Airdrie on a freezing night in the late fifties or the early sixties, where next morning, the only wagon to start belonged to a cocky young Liverpudlian, but every wagon was started before they all left.

That attitude still prevailed in 1969 when I started and carried on through my Middle East days.

I was reminded of an incident today, as I watched a Scania Artic negotiate his way through Grange over Sands. Took my wife and daughter shopping in Grange and Kendal.

When I came home in '87, I bought an Amtrak parcels Franchise which I ran successfully for 21 years. Our ‘trunker’ in '87 was a 307d Merc. By the late 90s it was an artic. We never got to a double decker, but we did sometimes need to hand load the parcels because they wouldn’t all go in the cages.

The A590 to the M6 is mostly single track and one accident can close it. In about 2002, I received word that there was an accident at the narrow spot at high Newton, which had closed the road. When the trunker arrived and loaded, I explained the situation and asked if he could turn off at Haverthwaite and go through Grange, thus avoiding the accident.

‘Nah, not doing that.’

‘Why not?’

‘The roads are all narrow there.’

‘Riigghhtt, but there aren’t any restrictions, you can still go that way.’

‘Nah, not doing that.’

He waited something like 3 hours on the A590 and our parcels missed the sort, leaving me to apologise to about 100 customers next day and swallow a load of charges to keep the customers happy. Looking at Larry’s post and ‘Albion Jack’ Butterworth’s poem, I can’t see that it would have happened then.

John.

Chris Webb:

old 67:
Regards. John.

No, sorry Chris and Larry, not The Motormans ( no tunnel vents near there ). I’m pretty sure it was taken from the Standedge services ( now The Carriage House ), just before the Standedge cutting. Google Street View would seem to confirm this.
Regards. John.

old 67:

Chris Webb:

old 67:
Regards. John.

No, sorry Chris and Larry, not The Motormans ( no tunnel vents near there ). I’m pretty sure it was taken from the Standedge services ( now The Carriage House ), just before the Standedge cutting. Google Street View would seem to confirm this.
Regards. John.

You are indeed correct John it certainly was taken at what is now the Carriage House.
During the 1960’s it was a regular haunt for lorry photographer Roger Kenny who took many pictures at that location.

The A62 at Delph in 1967 with a fully loaded Kenkast trailer hauled by a Bedford TK in the layby.

old 67:

Chris Webb:

old 67:
Regards. John.

Regards. John.

Hi John I have to agree with you on this one, The next café on the left was The Blue Peter Café next to Brun Clough Resevoir, Opposite The Floating Light Pub, & The filling station next door where the fuel was pumped by hand into large glass containers marked off in Gallons & gravity fed into the vehicles tanks, How things have changed , Im referring to the 50s the good old days IMO.Regards Larry.

Motormans Café, Still going Im pleased to say, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Lawrence Dunbar:

old 67:

Chris Webb:

old 67:
Regards. John.

Regards. John.

Hi John I have to agree with you on this one, The next café on the left was The Blue Peter Café next to Brun Clough Resevoir, Opposite The Floating Light Pub, & The filling station next door where the fuel was pumped by hand into large glass containers marked off in Gallons & gravity fed into the vehicles tanks, How things have changed , Im referring to the 50s the good old days IMO.Regards Larry.

Owned IIRC by Ma and Pa Johnson, one of the finest cafes in all the land. Before the M62 Standedge was OUR road over the tops, I only rarely used The Motormans, a lot of us regulars over there thought Ma Johnsons was superior.

The A62 at Mumps Bridge Oldham in 1956.
Every building in the picture has now gone along with the railway bridge.

Lawrence Dunbar:

A great photo Lawrence i thought maybe the A62 drag from Marsden , it looks like a load of waste paper on board , but i could be wrong i usually am :wink:

ramone:

Lawrence Dunbar:

A great photo Lawrence i thought maybe the A62 drag from Marsden , it looks like a load of waste paper on board , but i could be wrong i usually am :wink:

Hi “ramone”, Your correct in saying its the pull up to the top towards the Great Western Pub, Coming the opposite way heading East can remember the Tyresoles Clock on the left before the Floating Light Pub, It was only right twice a day :laughing: Regards Larry.

The Carriage House on the Standedge, Would I be correct in saying That some of the scenes from Regards Larry. Last Of The Summer Wine are filmed there ■■?, Regards Larry.