We're agency we can drive anything!

citycat:
Think I’ll stick with my auto, thanks.

youtu.be/8mBgrsS5rDU

Not as hard as you think mate, (well, I never had an 18 spd Fuller afai recall, only a 13)
Like everything else, strange at first but a piece of ■■■■ after practice and getting used to them…but nothing clever about it.

After saying that, not sure I’d like to go back to them (although I’d love a nostalgic go again) …so I agree with you, I’ll also stick to my auto. :laughing:

robroy:

citycat:
Think I’ll stick with my auto, thanks.

youtu.be/8mBgrsS5rDU

Not as hard as you think mate, (well, I never had an 18 spd Fuller afai recall, only a 13)
Like everything else, strange at first but a piece of ■■■■ after practice and getting used to them…but nothing clever about it.

After saying that, not sure I’d like to go back to them (although I’d love a nostalgic go again) …so I agree with you, I’ll also stick to my auto. :laughing:

I’m just wondering what Sammym’s American cousin would be saying on TNUSA, if he turned up to a yard on agency at 6am, and found one of these manual Eaton Fuller wotsit thingamyjigs.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, ‘my’ truck has got the best transmission ever fitted to a truck. End of.

I’m agency, I’ve driven plenty of manual shift lorries. Stop talking shiett

Shandy123:
I’m agency, I’ve driven plenty of manual shift lorries. Stop talking shiett

Wow. Has it come to this? The dumbing-down must surely be complete.

Could I drive something with an obscure gearbox? Of course I could, I cut my teeth on weird ■■■■ and I’m also a professional lorry driver. Would I want to? Of course not! The one and only advantage of one would be the fact that none of the turnips where I work would be willing to drive it when I wasn’t.

nomiS36:
Said it before and I’ll say it again, ‘my’ truck has got the best transmission ever fitted to a truck. End of.

You need to get out more, the cable shift fitted to the new MAN’s is woeful. The old comfortshift with the hydraulic shift was good but those cable shifts are notchy and lack feel once they’ve got a few miles under their belts.

I’m not sure it is cable shift is it? It feels like how I remember them years ago. Is certainly air assisted as it does the psst on gear changes and not just from the clutch peddle. I believe DAFs are cable change but didn’t think MAN was?

You’d have to be really hard of thinking not to understand the Scania box. It’s literally written out in front of you.

Fantastic gearbox, I manage across Europe with one quite well, prefer the splitter being at my thumb like on the old style gearstick though.

I always thought the scania 12 speeder had a very vague sloppy change. The 16 speed DAF/MAN is much better imo and with 16 ratios to choose from you’re always in the right gear.

nomiS36:
I always thought the scania 12 speeder had a very vague sloppy change. The 16 speed DAF/MAN is much better imo and with 16 ratios to choose from you’re always in the right gear.

I like the DAF box, can’t say I’ve ever been searching for more gears with the Scania.

I’ve driven Scanias with close to to 2 million klicks on then and not found them “sloppy” or “vague”. Not sure DAFs or MANs even make it that far.

nomiS36:
I’m not sure it is cable shift is it? It feels like how I remember them years ago. Is certainly air assisted as it does the psst on gear changes and not just from the clutch peddle. I believe DAFs are cable change but didn’t think MAN was?

Yes it’s cable shift now, they done away with the hydraulic shift years ago because it was too easy to overload the synchro’s with the hydraulic assistance.

good truck , drives nice , but back in a hire car / works van as of Monday so lost interest in it now , a truck is a truck anyway , I don’t care if it’s manual / has a tag axle you get paid the same what ever it is , roll on Friday

dozy:
well apparently not , this truck was going to be de- hired as it was causing a major headache as agency were refusing to drive it as its a manual gearbox not a auto gearbox :unamused: , it was going to be replaced by a automatic so it could be used all weekend unlike this manual that stood due to agency refusing to drive it .
I’ve got it now , I’m driving it which in its self is amazing as apparently us company drivers are only capable of driving one type of truck , that’s all we know according to agency drivers :exclamation: ,
so come on you agency drivers , what’s so difficult :question:

Perhaps it’s not that they can’t drive manuals, but just don’t expect to in this day and age! :laughing:

I suppose it’s nice once in a blue moon to drive a manual again, but realistically once you’ve sat in crawling traffic with it, you’re then happy to leave it until the next blue moon.

Certainly I know when I’ve come across a manual in the past couple of years, it has also said a lot about the condition of the vehicle and the state of the firm as a whole. It’s usually a knackered old DAF with a dirty interior, and with a clutch pedal that now feels like it offers more resistance than some weightlifting machines.

The firm would have to be paying top money for me to consider using a manual again on a daily basis. There’s just too many queues and complex junctions nowadays to put up with it.

I keep saying my next car will be an automatic as well, because I’m just sick to death of stop-start conditions everywhere.

do you know , at salvesen northampton we trialed auto boxes around 2002 we had an actros full auto and a volvo FM in tractor units, a daf 7.5 tonne rigid , (it was all we could get in auto rigids ) comparing all the usual stuff and including driver fatigue , we even went to the extreme of having a DAF LF 18 tonne built with an allison auto box (best motor i’ve ever driven - by far). couldn’t get drivers in them for love nor money, universally hated , especially the tractor units for some reason , spin forward 15 years and its auto or it wont go out the yard. once i’d got a driver into the LF though, i couldn’t get him out of it, until a numpty night man destroyed it.

dozy:
well apparently not , this truck was going to be de- hired as it was causing a major headache as agency were refusing to drive it as its a manual gearbox not a auto gearbox :unamused: , it was going to be replaced by a automatic so it could be used all weekend unlike this manual that stood due to agency refusing to drive it .
I’ve got it now , I’m driving it which in its self is amazing as apparently us company drivers are only capable of driving one type of truck , that’s all we know according to agency drivers :exclamation: ,
so come on you agency drivers , what’s so difficult :question:

Nothing. See you left it a mess again Dozy, us A boys clearing up after ‘lazy company drivers’. What’s wrong with a bin bag?
That’ll be a big no in the box ‘Was the cab clean and tidy?’ :smiley:

To be serious you’d think any sensible employer would request that drivers must be able to drive a manual box. Which bunch of inadequates do you drive for then? :grimacing:

3 wheeler:

blue estate:
No George cross medal for bravery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s his wife who deserves the medal !

She gets one! Off eager every Friday night while dozy is sleeping on the a14 :imp:

tonyj105:
do you know , at salvesen northampton we trialed auto boxes around 2002 we had an actros full auto and a volvo FM in tractor units, a daf 7.5 tonne rigid , (it was all we could get in auto rigids ) comparing all the usual stuff and including driver fatigue , we even went to the extreme of having a DAF LF 18 tonne built with an allison auto box (best motor i’ve ever driven - by far). couldn’t get drivers in them for love nor money, universally hated , especially the tractor units for some reason , spin forward 15 years and its auto or it wont go out the yard. once i’d got a driver into the LF though, i couldn’t get him out of it, until a numpty night man destroyed it.

Those Allison boxes are great , touch button key pad and change gear quick as you like

yes the kick down was pretty amazing on it

blue estate:

tonyj105:

Those Allison boxes are great , touch button key pad and change gear quick as you like

Are you saying you’ve spent all day ■■■■■■■■■ Allison? :wink:

Years back i had a go in a Bell 6 wheeled rear tipping dumper fitted with one was very good i thought!