Welsh Border and Mid Wales Hauliers 1950's onwards

PAMB:

Dave the Renegade:

A nice E14 of T Henry Evans of Dolwen, Llanidloes. Courtesy of of Ron Weatherall.

HI RON. MY NAME IS TONY BEVAN. I SOLD THE ERF TO HENRY WHEN I WORKED FOR SOUTH WALES COMMERCIALS . I WAS WITH HENRY LAST OCT. HE NOW HAS A FH 750 VOLVO 6 WHEELER HAULING TIMBER.
WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO HAVE A COPY OF THIS TRUCK
email tonyvolvo1@aol.com

Hi Tony. When you say South Wales commercials, are you talking about Watts of Lydney when they had the ERF dealership in Newport?
That’s a nice looking truck.

Paul

You’re not Tony Bevan from Abergavenny are you?, used to have a yellow F86?
Cheers, Keith

Lymm Truck Stop, yesterday.
Scania R580 - V14TAJ - T Alun Jones Ltd:

zzznV14TAJ.JPG

Sad day for this site today, 3 years since the loss of Dave the Renagade, RIP mate.

Hi John. Three years already! Dave was a great contributor to this and other threads at TNUK. His input is most definitely missed along with his personality. RIP Dave.

altitude:
Sad day for this site today, 3 years since the loss of Dave the Renagade, RIP mate.

Yes ,and still very much missed ,Trevor

tastrucker:

altitude:

+1, RIP Dave, sadly missed.

pete smith:

tastrucker:

altitude:

+1, RIP Dave, sadly missed.

My sentiments also ,regards Keith

A wee prompt Lest we Forget.
Oily

oiltreader:
Oily

I miss seeing this thread regularly posting up

It was always a good honest topic
Without the drama and sniping remarks that most topics on here attract

oiltreader:
Oily

Wow that has got to be an old pic!

Nice pic of the Jones Scania. Have seen the yellow/ blue ones but never a gold one.

Volvo FH16 - V17TAJ - T Alun Jones Ltd:

Been in to Dave the Renegade territory today so I thought I would post a couple of pics in his memory.
Nice to meet you today Tracy, take care.
1st Pic in Presteigne and 2nd pic at the Showground in Builth Wells.

20220401_114858.jpg

Not exactly Haulage - but when I was a lad in the early 60s my Father was mates with a Farmer called ‘Bert Fiddler’ from the back of Skenfrith,
we used to go and stay with them a few times in the summer.

Can’t remember the name of the farm, but I loved visiting, heaven on earth - nearest I can find on Google Maps is where they stop recording the track at Google Maps

Maybe some of you went there on farm deliveries ■■

For many years i used to deliver concrete septic tanks all over the country and as properties that needed these tanks were usually remote roads like this was the norm for me. So narrow mirrors in and just drive and if it got really tight stop get out and walk to see what was ahead .

How many of you remember the tipper operators from the Kington and Knighton area on the welsh borders, many of them working out of the Gore, Strinds, Dolyhir and Nash quarries. Many tippers are still operating in the area, but only a handful of older operators.
Starting on page 2,there are over eight thousand pictures on this thread,but some are with the wrong caption,due to a ■■■■ up with photobucket.A lot of the older photo’s have been kindly lent to me by hauliers and drivers from the area.Also a lot of other members of TruckNet have posted pictures and comments which are much appreciated.
The majority of the photo’s have been taken by my good lady Tracy in the Counties of Radnorshire,Herefordshire and Shropshire which are all on the Welsh Border.Some are from further into Mid Wales and other parts of the UK.As you will see a lot of the photo’s are of modern lorries which aren’t meant to be on this forum,but most of the members enjoy them.Please feel free to post any pics you have or make comments.
Due to Trucknet changing their server some of the photos may be to big now.If anyone wants them re sized let me know via PM.
I try not to make any derogatory remarks about the hauliers or lorries that I post.The photo’s are meant to portray a good image of the hauliers vehicles.
There also photo’s of vehicles we have taken at various lorry shows and road runs.
Cheers Dave . 7th December 2012.

Here,s a few to jog your memories
S W Brisbane & son of Knighton. Pictures of these posted.
Hughes of Presteigne
Ernie Goodman
Freddie Brace of Hereford
Doug Dawe of Hereford ( now run by his Grandson ) Pics posted.
C M Philpotts of Kington. Pic posted.
William Powell & son of Kington. Pic posted.
Doug Jones .
John sheward Gray Pics posted.
Roberts of Knighton. Pics posted,also another thread.
■■■■ Davies
■■■■ Price Glasbury
Ivor Duggan & sons Glasbury ( still running ). Pics posted.
C W Griffiths of Llandrindod Wells ( still running ) Pics posted
A E Gough & sons (still running ) Pics posted.
Sharples of Eardisley ( recently finished) Pics posted.
A I Lewis of Peterchurch ( still running) Pics posted.
Kens Tipper Hire ( still running ) Pics posted.
M A Evans Transport Knighton ( still running ) Pics posted.
This thread has been stretched to post pictures of all types of lorries over a wide area.

I remember a lot of names on that list, when I worked for Tilcon we used to work out of Gore (near Kington) running to the M5 widening, the rate was that poor and not many locals would do it but we had no option. We would bring a load down to Lichfield from Ashbourne, pick sand up from Hints to Meriden, load sand at Meriden for Gore, take a load of scalpings from Gore to the M5, back to Gore to load Granite chippings back to Ashbourne. Just about fit it into a 10 hour drive (with a little adjustment here and there) and you slept well at night! My “avatar Foden” knew its way blindfold.
Good to know that some of the firms are still operating, I used to enjoy my time down there.

Pete.

A lot of the ex Tilcon boys bought their own wagons when the quarry was sold to Minorco, now run by Tarmac, Gore was the last place I drove out of, I live two miles across the valley and look straight at the quarry.
I still have regular contact with all the drivers and operators.

Dave the Renegade:
A lot of the ex Tilcon boys bought their own wagons when the quarry was sold to Minorco, now run by Tarmac, Gore was the last place I drove out of, I live two miles across the valley and look straight at the quarry.
I still have regular contact with all the drivers and operators.

I may have seen you then, I used to work for STB transport out of Ballidon during the early '90’s. Norman was the weighbridge man in those days. I am surprised that Gore is still open as Tarmac have done what they do best and “mothballed” a few quarries around here and closed some blockplants. Not the same type of company as Tilcon…unfortunately!

Pete.