Welsh Border and Mid Wales Hauliers 1950's onwards

A farmers Volvo FL6 livestock lorry.seen on the A483 near Beulah,Powys.

Ome of C M Mercer’s Volvo FH artics ftom the Leominster area,seen on the A40 between Llandovery and Llanwrda,Carmarthenshire.

A Scania four wheeler,seen on the A40 between Llandovery and Llanwrda,Carmarthenshire.

A Daf CF six wheeler reefer,seen on the A40 between Llandovery and Llanwrda,Carmarthenshire.

Hi Dave. Nice bit of kit the tractor,spreader and a novel way to transport the ramps.Beats when you were last man having to toss them into the spreader.Just on another theme ( I know there’s a cafe thread,so much on here I can’t catch up ) having just seen your photo’s around Llandovery use to lodge at the cafe on the Brecon Rd in the 60’s.Whats there now ? Best Regards Mike.

The cafe and petrol station on the Brecon road has long gone the site was turned into a supermarket first Sommetfield and now the CO-OP

thelongdrag:
Hi Dave. Nice bit of kit the tractor,spreader and a novel way to transport the ramps.Beats when you were last man having to toss them into the spreader.Just on another theme ( I know there’s a cafe thread,so much on here I can’t catch up ) having just seen your photo’s around Llandovery use to lodge at the cafe on the Brecon Rd in the 60’s.Whats there now ? Best Regards Mike.

Hi Mike,
Not to sure about the cafe,as we come into Llandovery on the A483 from this way.The cafe on the Brecon road was called Greystones ( I think ) near Trecastle I think,that’s if you mean the one that had a motel and filling station plus a cafe for drivers.That has been derelict for years. The only cafe I have been into in Llandovery is the West End Cafe which is still going and is very popular with bikers. Hywel Price is the man who would know more about the cafe you stayed at,as he is a retired Llandovery haulier and is a Trucknet member.Looks as Ianto has put you right.
Cheers Dave.

A Daf LF box van,seen on the A40 near Llanwrda,Carmarthenshire.

dave any pics of duggans of kimbolton all scanias i think very smart livery cheers gra

graham schroeder:
dave any pics of duggans of kimbolton all scanias i think very smart livery cheers gra

Hi Graham,
Often see their lorries,which as you say look smart.Haven’t been lucky enough to have the camera ready yet to capture one.Will get a pic one of these days.
Cheers Dave.

A Mercedes four wheeler,seen on the A40 Llanwrda and Llangadog,Carmarthenshire.

mission impossible hey dave i will keep a keen eye on your post thanx gra

graham schroeder:
mission impossible hey dave i will keep a keen eye on your post thanx gra

Not impossible Graham,just haven’t had the camera ready when we meet their lorries.Always annoying when its a smart motor,but we have a few that we either miss or the pic doesn’t come out well.
We will persevere :laughing: .
Cheers Dave.

A E Gough & Sons of Llandrindod Wells Radnorshire Scania eight legger,seen on the A40 near Llangadog,Carmarthenshire.

Another one from Llandrindod Wells.One of Willams Transport timber wagons,seen on the A40 at the snack van at Llangadog,Carmarthenshire

One of the South Wales tarmac artics heading back this way,seen on the A40 between Llangadog and Llandeilo,Carmarthenshire.

A couplke crossing,near Manordeilo on the A40 Carmarthenshire.

Dave the Renegade:

A E Gough & Sons of Llandrindod Wells Radnorshire Scania eight legger,seen on the A40 near Llangadog,Carmarthenshire.

Is that 440 bhp on an 8-legger Dave? :open_mouth: If so that’s bags of power for 32t gross,bet he doesn’t drop a gear.

Chris Webb:

Dave the Renegade:

Is that 440 bhp on an 8-legger Dave? :open_mouth: If so that’s bags of power for 32t gross,bet he doesn’t drop a gear.

Yes it is Chris,its an ex C W Griffiths,most of the eight leggers have that or more nowadays.A lot of the six wheelers are 400bhp,with a lot of four wheelers at 310bhp.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Chris Webb:

Dave the Renegade:

Yes it is Chris,its an ex C W Griffiths,most of the eight leggers have that or more nowadays.A lot of the six wheelers are 400bhp,with a lot of four wheelers at 310bhp.
Cheers Dave.

:laughing:
And I thought I was doing well with 280 bhp in a Marathon at 32t.400 bhp in a six - legger,puts my 1960s Reiver and 1968 Marshal to shame. :laughing: