Welsh Border and Mid Wales Hauliers 1950's onwards

The FM7 290s were very popular with Hanson franchisees around this way until recently.

Muckaway:
The FM7 290s were very popular with Hanson franchisees around this way until recently.

Hi Nathan,
Most of the operators this way rated the FM7 ahead of the FM9, including Brian Griffiths who ran both.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Muckaway:

Hi Nathan,
Most of the operators this way rated the FM7 ahead of the FM9, including Brian Griffiths who ran both.
Cheers Dave.

I guess the cheaper purchase price and lower tare weight go in it’s favour. I don’t know if anyone’s heard of this but a subbie we use told me yesterday that Hansons are insisiting all subbies have grain hatches in their tailgates for use on barrow jobs. This’ll work until they get short of lorries :laughing:

Hi dave just found these on ebay may be of intrest old radorshire company ebay.co.uk/itm/TWO-VINTAGE-1 … 336a15c4e8

Muckaway:
I don’t know if anyone’s heard of this but a subbie we use told me yesterday that Hansons are insisiting all subbies have grain hatches in their tailgates for use on barrow jobs. This’ll work until they get short of lorries :laughing:

I’ve not heard about this but in all fairness, the only way you make any money in the job at the moment is on daywork.

I’m better off doing a 20miler with 4hrs handlay and buiggering off home than doing 3-4 thirty mile loads of stone.

Muckaway:

Dave the Renegade:

Muckaway:

Hi Nathan,
Cheers Dave.

I guess the cheaper purchase price and lower tare weight go in it’s favour. I don’t know if anyone’s heard of this but a subbie we use told me yesterday that Hansons are insisiting all subbies have grain hatches in their tailgates for use on barrow jobs. This’ll work until they get short of lorries :laughing:

The two four wheelers that are left this way have tarmac chutes,as have most of the six wheelers.

hammer:

Muckaway:
I don’t know if anyone’s heard of this but a subbie we use told me yesterday that Hansons are insisiting all subbies have grain hatches in their tailgates for use on barrow jobs. This’ll work until they get short of lorries :laughing:

I’ve not heard about this but in all fairness, the only way you make any money in the job at the moment is on daywork.

the same driver that told me this was asked to work for tomorrow but he’s on road planing instead. He said guaranteed money with little mileage and the option to have the odd load as payment if he wants it. I did 2 weeks planing at Raf Brize about 4 years ago; I think a tank of diesel lasted nearly all week :sunglasses:

Muckaway:

hammer:

Muckaway:

the same driver that told me this was asked to work for tomorrow but he’s on road planing instead. He said guaranteed money with little mileage and the option to have the odd load as payment if he wants it. I did 2 weeks planing at Raf Brize about 4 years ago; I think a tank of diesel lasted nearly all week :sunglasses:

He’s on a good thing there Nathan,as you say they don’t use much fuel and only take it a short distance.
Cheers Dave.

Rear view of Brian’s new FM7.

A pic to highlight some damage.

A closer look at the ripped mudguard,which happens in tipper work.

Apart from doing part-time lorry driving Brian is more into the vintage scene,now he’s retired.

Seen here threshing corn at a show. Brian Griffiths with Barry Evans ( in the cap ) ex manager of the Gore quarry for
Mann-Abell and Tilcon.

These two are worth seeing again.

A while back Dave, we were talking about 6wheelers with mid lift axles; I delivered to Country Supplies today at High Wycombe and they have a Scania with alloy body and mid-lift. There’s is only a little longer than a 4wheeler, is plated at 24mgw and carries 16ton. Apart from traction issues I can’t see why they’re not more popular…

Muckaway:
A while back Dave, we were talking about 6wheelers with mid lift axles; I delivered to Country Supplies today at High Wycombe and they have a Scania with alloy body and mid-lift. There’s is only a little longer than a 4wheeler, is plated at 24mgw and carries 16ton. Apart from traction issues I can’t see why they’re not more popular…

Quarry head offices don’t know what to do with them.

We had a lad wih a 6x4 and two axle drag - head office (they give out the work) couldn’t get their heads around it. Conversations went something like this;
“So its a 6-wheeler?”
No, its got a trailer.
“So its an artic?”
No, its pulled by a lorry.
“Whats a lorry?”

hammer:

Muckaway:

Quarry head offices don’t know what to do with them.

We had a lad wih a 6x4 and two axle drag - head office (they give out the work) couldn’t get their heads around it. Conversations went something like this;
“So its a 6-wheeler?”
No, its got a trailer.
“So its an artic?”
No, its pulled by a lorry.
“Whats a lorry?”

One of the hauliers this way had a Volvo five wheeler as it was referred too.It wasn’t kept long.I think that was 23 ton gross.
Cheers Dave.

Back to the recent stuff.This one seen on the A44 near Kington.

One of M A Evans takin a break on the B4357 near Evenjobb,Radnorshire.

One of KTH Renault’s taking a break on the A44 near Dunfield,Kington.