well thats it

good on you mate… i done the same when i was working in the warehouse for a UPN franchise… worst company i ever worked for… wages were never in the bank on time never the right amount… kit was worse than worse… the lorrys spent more time in the fitting shop than on the road… he allways bought cheep crap that no one else wanted and had worked to death… he never kept a driver longer than a few months… due to wages and his night trunker was on about £280 a week.

maybe the dole aint the answer but at least its money comeing in while hes out looking for a new job…

LR18-8:

Armagedon:
Should have paid more attention at school you might have been able to get a better paying job.

That’s not very fair.

I don’t know about others but I drive a lorry because it’s what I want to do for a living because I enjoy it.

I left school with gcse’s and a levels then went to college for a year or two and started working as a freelance web designer. I’m a certified it professional and have the papers to prove it.

I don’t have to drive
Lorries to live, I want to!!

I’m sure there are a lot of others here that could go into other industries of they wanted to.

+1

agree mate… these days qualifications mean jack mate

terriers:
maybe the dole aint the answer but at least its money comeing in while hes out looking for a new job…

Exactly, he didn’t say he’s quit the job so he can go and sign on and stay signed on.

I don’t understand peoples who say signing on is a bad thing.

The bad thing is the scum who don’t try to find work and just sign on week after week. The people who use the service to try and keep them afloat while looking for work is what it’s there for.

Christ sake we all pay enough into the pot why not take the help when we need it??

terriers:

They really don’t do they, as long as you can prove that you are capable it’s surprising how many people will give you a chance.

I know a bloke who works on auto CAD and other 3d software he’s got a pretty high paying job and even been head hunted.

He doesn’t have a single qualification relating to that sector.

LR18-8:

Armagedon:
Should have paid more attention at school you might have been able to get a better paying job.

That’s not very fair.

I don’t know about others but I drive a lorry because it’s what I want to do for a living because I enjoy it.

I left school with gcse’s and a levels then went to college for a year or two and started working as a freelance web designer. I’m a certified it professional and have the papers to prove it.

I don’t have to drive
I’m sure there are a lot of others here that could go into other industries of they wanted to.

I agree, I was an IT manager for 8 years, got made redundant and was able to self fund my licence. My choice was because I love driving and wanted to drive lorries (father and grandfather have done) :grimacing:

Armagedon:
If the company was paying the same wages for the last 11 years you knew the wages before you started,so that excuse is out the window.As for leaving one job before you had another,error number 2.I am not going to comfort your whingeing,the job wasn’t for you and you have probably spent too much time reading half the dross on here.In this industry wages have always been crap,no one will ever pay us what WE believe we’re worth.Your next job…if you find one…make sure you have all the facts before you join.

He’s not far wrong

sane-scotty:
told the company I work for at Donington to stick it Friday night and walked off home so had a phone call the next day saying they were letting me go.

It may be just me but I dont think its right that drivers get £6.40 per hour or that night drivers get trip money of £85 for doing a 15HR SHIFT! because the company isnt happy with you doing just one trip, oh no, they want to stick on an extra pickup which will take 3 or 4 hours to do then do your trip or make you wait 3 hours in the drivers rest room waiting for your load!
Its supposed to be job and knock but if youre on your way back having worked like a [zb] to do the trip in 10/11 hours, they ring you up demanding you do more work to get the hours out of you, now offering me £15 for 3 hours more work isnt my idea of fun so I dont think its right you get a rollocking when you refuse to do extra work.

I also dont think its right that the drivers there haven`t had a pay rise in 11 years, and I dont think its right that start times vary so much you struggle to get sleep, start 11pm one night, then 4am the morning after, then maybe 5.30 (how that is a night shift I dont know) then you have to miss a shift without pay, to start the next shift at 9pm again.

so, after only 8months of being a HGV driver Im now unemployed and will be signing on the dole in 2 days. The agencies dont want to know with less than 2 years experience, and you know you will all be calling me a [zb] for loosing my job but sometimes you have to make a stand against unscrupulous, exploitative employers who dont give a ■■■■ about their staff and want to screw you every way they can!

Theres a line in the sand which sometimes you just cant cross, call it self worth, self respect of whatever, pride even, but if this is the way all haulage firms work, please Lord, help me get that toilet cleaning job at £7 p/hr!

Hi Scotty,
Think it was you I was talking to in the yard also that night.
Nick

LR18-8:

terriers:

They really don’t do they, as long as you can prove that you are capable it’s surprising how many people will give you a chance.

I know a bloke who works on auto CAD and other 3d software he’s got a pretty high paying job and even been head hunted.

He doesn’t have a single qualification relating to that sector.

exactly i got a mate whos a machanic and hes the dogs nads at it… but he got no bits of paper to say he can do that job… just he hung around garages and picked it up and learnt his trade that way… so i do belive that qualifications dont mean alot…

thanks for the support. In the cold light of day I stiIl think I have done the right thing. I did good work for that company and when I 1st started there I did 2 weeks of days to get into it and the day shift supervisor desperately wanted me to stay on days instead of going onto nights.

I have an assessment drive for Norberts in Grantham on Monday, £8.70 per hour for the 1st 8 hours then £12.70 after that which i way more than the other firm paid.
I know driving an HGV isnt perfect, but I love driving an artic. The best job I did for the Donington firm was a trailer changeover in Penrith, 4 hours driving there, hours rest then 4 hours back, only paid £85 but I had the open road of the A1 before me and the radio blasting out, perfect. But then the, youve only done 10 hours work, we need to get more out of you` crap came into it so a good job was ruined.

Fingers crossed I wont mess up my assessment but I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Hi Scotty,
Nick

If it was Thursday night around 8pm ish, and the guy you talked to was calling them a bunch of ■■■■■ for trying to send me to cambridge then yes, yes it was.
Good luck mate, stick to days there, get paid by the hour and whatever you do, dont do nights.

There’s lots of jobs on a job and finish basis, and drivers are encouraged to fly about and off home in double quick time, they even sell the job on that basis, at first.

A few months down the line when your established pattern has been proved they then want a bit more job before the finish, difficult to show the job should take longer when every man and his dog has been compacting 13 hours into 9, ‘just do us this favour’, then it becomes part of the standard day cos by flying about its getting done.

Regardless of job and finish, and i’m on such as salaried, i work at a rate that’s comfortable to maintain, stop for a cuppa and a leg stretch as well as statutory breaks.

Balance in everything.

sane-scotty:
thanks for the support. In the cold light of day I stiIl think I have done the right thing. I did good work for that company and when I 1st started there I did 2 weeks of days to get into it and the day shift supervisor desperately wanted me to stay on days instead of going onto nights.

I have an assessment drive for Norberts in Grantham on Monday, £8.70 per hour for the 1st 8 hours then £12.70 after that which i way more than the other firm paid.
I know driving an HGV isnt perfect, but I love driving an artic. The best job I did for the Donington firm was a trailer changeover in Penrith, 4 hours driving there, hours rest then 4 hours back, only paid £85 but I had the open road of the A1 before me and the radio blasting out, perfect. But then the, youve only done 10 hours work, we need to get more out of you` crap came into it so a good job was ruined.

Fingers crossed I wont mess up my assessment but I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Hi Scotty,
Nick

If it was Thursday night around 8pm ish, and the guy you talked to was calling them a bunch of [zb] for trying to send me to cambridge then yes, yes it was.
Good luck mate, stick to days there, get paid by the hour and whatever you do, dont do nights.

probably worked since then, was the convo also about waiting for 2hrs for load to be ready :wink: deffo cambridge was mentioned then brum was it?
:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah that was me. 3 months been there. I think it must just be the donington depot cos if u ever do work for the newmarket depot (which i did a few times) then everything is well organised there. Trailer all ready with paperwork inside and correct settings etc…

Juddian:
There’s lots of jobs on a job and finish basis, and drivers are encouraged to fly about and off home in double quick time, they even sell the job on that basis, at first.

A few months down the line when your established pattern has been proved they then want a bit more job before the finish, difficult to show the job should take longer when every man and his dog has been compacting 13 hours into 9, ‘just do us this favour’, then it becomes part of the standard day cos by flying about its getting done.

Regardless of job and finish, and i’m on such as salaried, i work at a rate that’s comfortable to maintain, stop for a cuppa and a leg stretch as well as statutory breaks.

Balance in everything.

The real job and finish is probably a thing of the past now.Firstly you need to know exactly what ‘the job’ is before you decide wether it pays or not and then you need the benefit of a decent truck with no limiters and the clear roads of a typical night trunking job of the 1980’s.The combination of which produced the situation where it was possible to get paid a good wage for around 40-45 hours per week sometimes even less + ‘voluntary’ overtime ( notice the words ‘voluntary’ and ‘overtime’ because if it’s not voluntary then it’s not overtime :wink: ) for any extra work over and above that which had actually been agreed as to the definition of ‘job’ in job and finish’.

Those days will never return unfortunately and the idea of accepting any job on the basis of job and finish these days in a non starter.It’s just a case of working out the type of hours which the you’re actually contracted to do against the rate offered and it’s then just a case of take it or leave it. :bulb:

However the OP might find that the Jobcentre will have some ‘issues’ about leaving a job voluntarily and then signing on.

However the OP might find that the Jobcentre will have some ‘issues’ about leaving a job voluntarily and then signing on.

He didn’t. He walked out of the yard because of what they were doing (not quit the job) then they rang him and said not to go back.

The company were the ones no ended his employment not him.

If they hadn’t of rang him and he went back he following day he probably would have been in line for a disciplinary BUT would have still been employed.

It seems like the company might have had other opportunities, seems like jumping out of one hot frying pan into a casserole dish avec chaud.

If you are only a number here, turners-distribution.com/index.php

Then you will certainly be the same here, norbert-dentressangle.com/

If you want to drive lorries, go the whole hog where you can make the vehicle pay for itself, Spalding to Penrith and home again!!!

A Newmarket or a Cambridge would round that off nicely and would even give you a night out, not part of the wages, but a part of your wallet at the weekend.

LR18-8:

He didn’t. He walked out of the yard because of what they were doing (not quit the job) then they rang him and said not to go back.

The company were the ones no ended his employment not him.

If they hadn’t of rang him and he went back he following day he probably would have been in line for a disciplinary BUT would have still been employed.

But you need to look at it from the angle which the government might do.Walked out after a ‘disagreement’ abount contracted hours and then effectively subjected to summary dismissal.I’m not sure but think that being sacked without an ongoing claim for unfair dismissal or having won a case of unfair dismissal puts the claimant in an iffy situation with the old dragon behind the desk who’s probably been assigned to assess the claim.That type of situation can be a minefield and needs some thought before just walking out and asking questions later. :bulb:

The defence in this case might be along the lines of being subject to enforced overtime that wasn’t part of the contracted hours,possibly at less than minimum wage without enough service time in the job to have a claim for unfair dismissal. :bulb:

Keep your chin up… you will find the right job… i found out a few times over the years, just do the job you are asked to do… no more no less, if you let them take the ■■■■ they always will… good luck with your next venture, shytalk… :slight_smile:

LR18-8:

Armagedon:

That’s not very fair.

I don’t have to drive

Not sure I could these days as my qualifications and experience are now old skool, but I was a network engineer before I gave it all up 14yrs ago after deciding I didn’t like being indoors.
My qualifications and experience are mainly Unix, Xenix and Novell based, not much of which is used anymore :neutral_face:

But, I also have my PSV, and live in a town centre that still has factories, supermarkets and an IKEA - oh and a Macdonalds, so depending what I felt like, I COULD leave the industry, it’s just that I don’t want to, when I think of other jobs, I just stay in this industry :blush:

Good luck with the assessment mate and hope all goes well in the future.

This job n knock mallarky is why everyones in an almighty hurry all the effin time.

Things may go quiet in the next month or two, but then its the xmas madness so you might pick up something then.

briscoe05:

LR18-8:

Armagedon:

That’s not very fair.

I don’t have to drive

I agree, I was an IT manager for 8 years, got made redundant and was able to self fund my licence. My choice was because I love driving and wanted to drive lorries (father and grandfather have done) :grimacing:

Ill go with this. I drive trucks because I love the freedom of the job and the travel. I’ve been to some great places and see some great sights and good pay to boot :slight_smile::slight_smile: