Weight Limits

Muckaway:
I don’t mind weight restrictions for structural reasons ie weak bridges, but there’s an increasing number of perfectly good roads being restricted.

If you lived in a village which happened to be on a “rat run” which meant you couldn’t sleep at night for the vibration and noise of trucks rattling past; and couldn’t open your windows on a sunny day because of the noise and dust; then you might well ask the Council to do something about it.

The simplest way to stop up a “rat run” for trucks, is to impose a weight limit - if there are any businesses along the route then “Except for loading” has to be allowed. I believe “ACCESS” is being changed to “LOADING” to avoid the situation where a driver can argue that he wanted to visit his granny.

truckerjon:
I got shouted at once by a TM when going through a 7.5t weight limit in an artic, however, when i pointed out that i was SOLO, and UNDER 7.5t, there was not a lot more he could say! :laughing:

There was actually.

Weight limits are a form of Traffic Regulation Order, mostly introduced to protect parts of the highway network such as weak bridges. The signs associated with the weight limit indicate the maximum gross vehicle weight of vehicles permitted to use the bridge to which the weight limit applies.

You normally would not under a 12’ bridge with a 14’ trailer so what is the difference?

I’ve no time for these tossers who buy a new house next to a main road, then whinge about traffic; I live on the main route through our housing estate also a rat run and on a major bus route. I also have the Witney Bypass less than half a mile away plus RAF Brize Nortons flightpath (good old VC10s bless 'em) so I know what noise is. It was my choice to live here it’s about time NIMBYS shut up or moved on. Weren’t NIMBYS to blame for Brian Harris from Widdecombe packing up?

Muckaway:
I’ve no time for these tossers who buy a new house next to a main road, then whinge about traffic; I live on the main route through our housing estate also a rat run and on a major bus route. I also have the Witney Bypass less than half a mile away plus RAF Brize Nortons flightpath (good old VC10s bless 'em) so I know what noise is. It was my choice to live here it’s about time NIMBYS shut up or moved on. Weren’t NIMBYS to blame for Brian Harris from Widdecombe packing up?

My depot is on an industrial estate. They have built houses near it, by near I mean about 1km away. People in the houses kick up about noise from the site. We enclosed the external plant behind a fence, coordinated with VOSA and the TC so that now we test horns at certain points of road just outside of town rather than in the yard. We have forbidden any cages to be moved in the yard at night (not something we did anyway and the cages are stored on the far side of site anyway) No fridges are to be run on diesel until you are about to leave site, any repairs must be carried out on the far side of the yard to minimise noise, and finally we have forbidden drivers to use the shorter route on and off the estate to cut the noise of tailift plates rattling when crossing the rough road and general fridge/engine noise. Still they are complaining about noise, even though we do noise assessments on various parts of the estate and hear minimal noise from us. NIMBYS need shooting, especially the ones who move next to something that was already there and then complain about it.