Weekly rest - compensation??

Harry Monk:
If you have a reduced 43 hour rest one weekend, and you compensate for that by adding two hours to a nine hour rest the following Wednesday, can you reduce your rest the following weekend on the grounds that you have already compensated for the previous weekend?

I’m thinking “No” but I’d be interested in any feedback on this.

As turnip said you still need to have a regular weekly rest period the following week.

If the regulations had been worked out by people who knew what they were doing they could have made allowances for such small reductions when the compensation is paid back quickly, still too late now I suppose :frowning:

tbh this just proves how stupid the rules are when even the people they apply to have a problem working them out! Could do with serious simplyfying!

dew:
tbh this just proves how stupid the rules are when even the people they apply to have a problem working them out! Could do with serious simplyfying!

Completely agree, even High Court judges will argue for days about the interpretation of Tachograph Law, so if they can’t agree on it then what chance have we got?

Harry Monk:

dew:

Completely agree, even High Court judges will argue for days about the interpretation of Tachograph Law, so if they can’t agree on it then what chance have we got?

+1

This is so confusing, this it what I do and I believe it’s OK?

week 1 = 6 days with a rest of 24-36 hrs
week 2 = 6 days with a rest of 24-36 hrs
week 3 = 5 days with a rest of 45-48 hrs

been doing this for three months now and not had any problems.

Madguy :imp:

I’ve looked at that diagram that tachograph put up. My eyes are bleeding and my head hurts. And I still don’t understand it.
My understanding was if you reduce one weekend, then you can’t reduce the following weekend. Compensate by the third week?
Ie
Week 1, 35 hours rest.
Week 2, 45 hours rest.
Week 3, 40 hours rest.
Week 4, 55 hours rest. - 45 plus 10 from week one.
Week 5, 45 hours rest (although could be a reduced one)
Week 6, 50 hours rest. - 45 plus 5 from week 3.

madguy:

If you’ve repeated that sequence over repeatedly for three months I don’t see how it could possibly be legal unless you’re working on domestic regulations.

No matter how I turn those figures round in my head I can’t make it work so you have a regular weekly rest period every second week :wink:

If you’ve done that for three months how are you compensating for the reduced weekly rest periods ? :confused:

Scrap weekend working and be done with it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

happysack:
I’ve looked at that diagram that tachograph put up. My eyes are bleeding and my head hurts. And I still don’t understand it.
My understanding was if you reduce one weekend, then you can’t reduce the following weekend. Compensate by the third week?
Ie
Week 1, 35 hours rest.
Week 2, 45 hours rest.
Week 3, 40 hours rest.
Week 4, 55 hours rest. - 45 plus 10 from week one.
Week 5, 45 hours rest (although could be a reduced one)
Week 6, 50 hours rest. - 45 plus 5 from week 3.

week 5 could be 40 + 5 and then week 6 can be 45

5 hours of payback was probably paid back before then by a daily rest of 14 hrs (9+5)

tachograph:

madguy:

If you’ve repeated that sequence over repeatedly for three months I don’t see how it could possibly be legal unless you’re working on domestic regulations.

No matter how I turn those figures round in my head I can’t make it work so you have a regular weekly rest period every second week :wink:

If you’ve done that for three months how are you compensating for the reduced weekly rest periods ? :confused:

I agree with Tachograph. Even with my new understanding thanks to the amazing diagram, as you do week 4 = 6 days with a rest of 24 - 36 hours, and week 5 = 6 days with a rest of 24 - 36 hours, you can’t possibly have had a regular rest.

A weely rest crossing into the Monday can count in either, BUT NOT BOTH week. So you’ve got week 1 reduced, week 2 reduced, week 3 regular, then I assume you were going to do week 4 reduced. No matter how you move around which week the rest is in, I just don’t see how it can be legal week in week out. I think I’m right there.

The actual compensation part Tachograph mentioned could easily have been done on the end of 1 of your 9’s since you don’t mention your daily duty hours, so I can’t argue that point.

waynedl:
The actual compensation part Tachograph mentioned could easily have been done on the end of 1 of your 9’s since you don’t mention your daily duty hours, so I can’t argue that point.

It is possible that the compensation could be paid back on the end of a reduced daily rest period, but even a 36 hour reduced weekly rest leaves 9 hours to be paid back so would require an 18 hour rest period between shifts.

That’s something many people can only dream of :smiley:

tachograph:

waynedl:

It is possible that the compensation could be paid back on the end of a reduced daily rest period, but even a 36 hour reduced weekly rest leaves 9 hours to be paid back so would require an 18 hour rest period between shifts.That’s something many people can only dream of :smiley:

Or be a tramper at stobRat, and get parked up after six hours! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

I am a tramper but all my complete hours docs are in the truck so i need to get them tomorrow for a look, did the same in my last jobs on class 2 and never had any problems there either, only problem i ever had was i did a daily break of 8 hrs 54 mins once and got told to watch it but not had any problems doing this on class 1, wouldnt think the company would let me do it if it wasnt straight as surely the would get fined as well?

Madguy. :imp:

happysack:

It’s all about manipulating which week a weekly rest period counts for :wink:

The regulations state that a full weekly rest must count for every second week and a weekly rest period that crosses two weeks Sunday/Monday can count for either week but not both.

1. Lets say you start week 1 with a regular weekly rest period that counts for week 1.

2. The following weekend end you have a reduced weekly rest period that will count for week 2.
    (so now you’ve had a regular weekly rest period for week 1 followed by a reduced weekly rest period for week 2)

3. The next weekend you have another reduced weekly rest period, it looks like this will count for week 3
    (now you haven’t had a regular weekly rest period that counts for week 3 as the rules require) :open_mouth:

4. The following weekend (end of week 3 start of week 4) you have a regular weekly rest period, it looks like this will count for week 4 but because the rest period crosses over Sunday/Monday you can count the weekly rest period for either week 4 or week 3.
    You choose to count it for week 3 :wink:

The weekly rest period at the end of week 4 must now count for week 4

Now you’ve had regular weekly rest periods that count for weeks 1 and 3 and a reduced weekly rest period in week 2.

You’ve had another reduced weekly rest period at the start of week 3 which doesn’t count for any week but does allow you to start a new set of six periods of 24 hours.

madguy:
I am a tramper but all my complete hours docs are in the truck so i need to get them tomorrow for a look, did the same in my last jobs on class 2 and never had any problems there either, only problem i ever had was i did a daily break of 8 hrs 54 mins once and got told to watch it but not had any problems doing this on class 1, wouldnt think the company would let me do it if it wasnt straight as surely the would get fined as well?

Madguy. :imp:

Some TM’s know less about the drivers hours laws than the drivers, and as you’ve seen on here, that’s not much. I always thought I had a damned good grasp, but even then I learn something new just the other day on here.

My old TM at Roadways used to tell us we could do 2 out of 3 Saturdays, I’m not sure if it’s an old rule or a misunderstanding or what, but the rules definately state:

In any two consecutive ‘fixed’ weeks a driver must take at

• two regular weekly rests; or
  • one regular weekly rest and one reduced weekly rest.

Unless you can see how you are doing that, which we can’t, then you’re not legal, simple.