Ways to warm up food without microwave?

Such an outpouring of love for these I have felt obliged to buy one too and see what I have been missing.

As i’m a bit tight I have gone for this one

amazon.co.uk/TRAVELISIMO-El … 08R5JMSWC/

Which doesn’t have a nice carry bag to compliment it but is only £22 atm.

The Chinese Photoshoppers have gone all out with the dashboard placement mind, and that fella put in a car with hi vis AND hard hat…

Attach to top of exhaust job done

Fuzrat:
I work afternoon shift for a supermarket so breaktime is usually about 7, so normal tea time and was fed up forking out a fortune on rubbish like mc burger chicken. Get to store, plug it into the 12v socket while I get tipped and an hour later, hot food when I pull out for my break.

Only thing I had wrong was my fault, I accidently plugged it into the 24v socket (some say 12/24v but I am sceptical) Unscrewed the end of the plug and put a new fuse in and worked fine again. Probably half a dozen of the lads on my shift use one with no issues.

Mine is 12/24v, I’ve tried it in both and the results are better when plugged into the 24v, its heats up faster and I’ve never had it blow a fuse… yet!! :laughing:

I used to bring a gas stove but I wasnt sure if they allowed it.I didnt ask the question.I decided it better to ask for forgiveness than permision but it was a worry that if them things explode,thats it,game over,but I was always uncomfortable with the idea of food being kept warm in a thermoflask,but this is what I use now.But you have to make sure the food is very hot when you put it in.in.I see your point about eating sandwiches alk the time,they are naff.Sometimes,I make a big curry at the weekend,then put it in to microwavable plastic pots,then put them in the freezer.Then take oit two a day,warm them up and thats me sorted.I found hot curries have another advantage.It kills any desire to eat sweet things afterwards.Also,I can put in healthy ingtedients like garlic that has heath benefits and plenty of greens.I couldnt go back to sandwiches now.Ive heard its not that heathyto eat so much bread,I dont know if its true but definitley,white bread is not good,I think

I know a bit about this. I saw “On The Buses” and they put their fish and chips on the exhaust manifold to keep them warm until they got to the cemetery gates. It didn’t go well and there was a lot of smoke. Might even be the one where they burnt out an RT. Anyway Blakey wasn’t happy. Mind you even the most incompetent driver at our place is probably not as thick as Stan and Jack.

Some of these rice cookers are 24v and claim to be 200w, can cook rice, pasta, potatoes, boil veg, eggs, hot dogs and heat food
you can find them on ebay but at much higher prices

Worked with a bloke who used to put the tray of microwave meal into a pan of water being simmered on a gas burner

microwave in services
Why are the right wing lorry driver’s so dim?

Wrap it in foil and leave near the head of the engine or arround the exhaust manifold for a few minutes. Careful not to burn yourself. It gets so hot that you can cook 2kg of meat in about 2 to 3 hours, if you’d wedge the meat nicely on the mainfold when its cold and go about your drive. Before the 4 and a half hours driving time limit, you can have the tenderest of the roasts.
For those that find it weird, remember that your grandfathers, after gunning down some schnitzel, would place their wraped sandwiches inside the exhaust pipe of hurricanes and spitfires for a few minutes and have a hot bite while reloading and refuelling was going on, gulping it down before the next wave had crossed the channel.

i bought a 3 pack of Heinz big soup in Lidl im sure folk used to warm a tin of soup over a gas ring/ blowlamp tho somewhere i heard/read this is now very dangerous due to the tins being coated on the insides with plastic now.Actually years ago i was homeless and cooked bacon in a pan over a blowlamp was very tasty

menace1:
microwave in services

Left wing drivers are just as dim as right wing ones…

Flameless ration heater (FRH) like they use in the army - plenty for sale on ebay

Eat it. Your body temperature will heat it up automatically.

menace1:
microwave in services

Some of us avoid the services like the plague , might be the rip off prices , the crap food and the lack of parking but I’m sure it appeals to some .

ETS:
Has anyone figured out a way to do it? I want to switch from eating cold sandwiches to bringing my own pre-cooked food in a box but since I’m not a tramper our trucks don’t have any microwaves or high power outlets to plug say a portable hot plate into. Any easy plug-and-use solutions that don’t require re-wiring the entire electrical system?

I have hot porridge for breakfast , salad through day , and gravy / veg tea when I get home , surely if your having a proper hot cooked meal for tea you don’t need a hot meal in the day
And I only weigh 11 st so it’s not as though I have to watch my weight , but I couldn’t eat a hot meal in day then another at tea time , salad sandwiches should be more than enough for you assuming your having a proper gravy / meat / veg tea