washer bottles

Will meths harm the paint I am thinking I may try it in the car

HAIRYGORILLA:
hope it wasnt.glenmorangie in your washer bottle ouch expensive let those that buy your christmas presents this year know, they can get a cheaper brand there again it may melt your washer bottle

Cheap whisky in my washer bottle :open_mouth: , I’m shocked. Only the best for my washer bottle :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: To be honest I’ve accepted whisky so long now I could seriously upset the particular person that gives it to me (an ex employer).

Tiger

Whiskey in your washers? Criminal offence!!!

Mark is right. You need the proper screenwash in there. Most of the stuff we have is for -40 and it won’t freeze in the jets unless it is really cold, but when it is that cold it is also completely dry so you don’t use them anyway. It will, however, freeze to the screen once you have used the washers.

Another thing about the heater vents on defrost. If. like the petes, your side windows freeze up on the inside, then you should tape over the windscreen vents so you can defrost the sides. If you can fit a fan up in the windscreen then that will keep the windows demisted without clumping snow on the wipers.

bobthedog:
Whiskey in your washers? Criminal offence!!!

Mark is right. You need the proper screenwash in there. Most of the stuff we have is for -40 and it won’t freeze in the jets unless it is really cold, but when it is that cold it is also completely dry so you don’t use them anyway. It will, however, freeze to the screen once you have used the washers.

Another thing about the heater vents on defrost. If. like the petes, your side windows freeze up on the inside, then you should tape over the windscreen vents so you can defrost the sides. If you can fit a fan up in the windscreen then that will keep the windows demisted without clumping snow on the wipers.

If you gaffer tape over the drain holes in the bottom of the door the side windows won’t freeze :bulb: :wink:

Had your clutch pedal freeze yet? That is such fun…

Ive got a new invention for tomorrow , a fairy liquid bottle no more throwing snow at the windscreen for me :smiling_imp:

bobthedog:
Had your clutch pedal freeze yet? That is such fun…

Yep, clutch pedal, 5th wheel, trailer doors, landing legs & after the ice storm last week in Michigan I was stuck in the cab as I couldn’t open the doors, had to do a Dukes of Hazzard & climb out of the window, lucky for me I’ve got the one piece windows so managed to get my fat arse out easily enough, had to chip the ice off the door frame, also snapped a CB aerial with the amount of ice that had built up around them, had a drop visor with the ice build up until I ended up inside a workshop in Minnesota after running over a bambi & ripping the air lines out of a trailer brake chamber, 70mph with a sideways trailer is an over-rated experience I must say :laughing: especially the night before I was flying out to come to the UK :unamused:

Totally unrelated to washer bottles but last night we got a call from a friend, her neighbour had washed the footpath with hot water to rinse the snow away :open_mouth: our friend had then slipped and warned us about it. I was going to go kick him in the nuts, but was worried I would slip on the ice. :frowning:

Wheel Nut:

Secretelephant:
I had an Uncle who was given a bottle of Whiskey every Christmas by his employer. sadly he hated Whiskey so he used it as a very effective washer solution.

My Renault premium is crap. They brilliantly put the tank just behind the passenger step miles away from any form of heat off the truck. My company doesnt supply washer solution, & not even water at the moment as the tap’s frozen!

So it’s just a garden spray bottle & washing up liquid solution form home every morning at the moment. It’s just a bit chilly climbing out of the window at 56mph on the mway to spray the windscreen. Lucky I’ve got cruisecontrol so the truck doesnt slow down, why I’m standing on the step outside spraying with one hand whilst steering with the other. I only have to do this every five miles or so. :wink:

If that was me I would just buy some proprietary screenwash and put in a receipt. it is stupid to get a £30 ticket for no washers just to save the company money. If the tap in the yard is frozen up, dont you bother checking or filling the radiator then? A tap won’t freeze if it is left running slowly, if there isn’t a drain, stick a piece of pipe on the tap.

We are only allowed to use Renault’s coolant in the radiator. Water is strictly forbidden! (I’m not making this up)

Secretelephant:

Wheel Nut:

Secretelephant:
I had an Uncle who was given a bottle of Whiskey every Christmas by his employer. sadly he hated Whiskey so he used it as a very effective washer solution.

My Renault premium is crap. They brilliantly put the tank just behind the passenger step miles away from any form of heat off the truck. My company doesnt supply washer solution, & not even water at the moment as the tap’s frozen!

So it’s just a garden spray bottle & washing up liquid solution form home every morning at the moment. It’s just a bit chilly climbing out of the window at 56mph on the mway to spray the windscreen. Lucky I’ve got cruisecontrol so the truck doesnt slow down, why I’m standing on the step outside spraying with one hand whilst steering with the other. I only have to do this every five miles or so. :wink:

If that was me I would just buy some proprietary screenwash and put in a receipt. it is stupid to get a £30 ticket for no washers just to save the company money. If the tap in the yard is frozen up, dont you bother checking or filling the radiator then? A tap won’t freeze if it is left running slowly, if there isn’t a drain, stick a piece of pipe on the tap.

We are only allowed to use Renault’s coolant in the radiator. Water is strictly forbidden! (I’m not making this up)

But Renaults coolant will still be mixed with water, normally 50/50

So is no one admitting to knowing whether or not ■■■■ freezes.

peterm:
So is no one admitting to knowing whether or not ■■■■ freezes.

It does below -25c :wink:

ROG:

paulfromwire:
Whats the legal issue on having washers not working due to the outside temperature?

That would come down to safety rather than legally in certain circumstances.

A driver who claimed that he had an incident due to washers not working would be questioned as to the exact circumstances and if it was deemed that the driver could have safely stopped then a prosecution would be likely.

i got a GV9 as my washer bottle went empty just before i got pulled they also gave me it because they said the wheel nuts were loose yet me, the boss and the copper couldnt move them with a 10ft scaffy pole on the wheel brace
(combined weight of the 3 of us jumping on the bar must have been 45 stone lol) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

An old work mate of mine said that in the war he worked on mosqueteos , to keep them ready for flight he told me the put buckets of ■■■■ over parts of the wings, this practice was not allowed but they did it any way

fuse:
Will meths harm the paint I am thinking I may try it in the car

I reckon you might harm more than the paint if you try meths whilst “in the car” :laughing:

Just add a bit of anti freeze to the water, works a treat. Failing that then either of the aforementioned posts all work eventually.

o Leave the wipers on, it will clear eventually
o Throw snow at the windscreen
o Bottle of Volvic water squirted at the windscreen (other brands are available)
o Get behind a faster wagon and sit there, the spray from the road lands on your windscreen, dirty but better than dry dirt !!!