Was i wrong or right?

switchlogic:
I didn’t mean he was wrong to bring it to the attention of the company. It was early in the morning, nowhwere to get a new plate, a run needs to be done and that maybe he should have just got on with it was my point.

As an aside, a friend has been working in Gist Thornbury as a shunter in agency recently. One of their employed drivers from Thatcham came in with a trunk. When he noticed a headlamp bulb was out he refused to drive back to Thatcham till it was fixed. It was 2am and DAF had to come out. I can’t begin to imagine the expense.

Lots of you moan about jobsworths without realising your becoming the very same.

Do you really mean 2am? Would it have been dark per chance?

What do you deliver that is so important that YOU think that YOU can tell someone under YOUR control to break the law. If the vehicle is at a company facility it should be repaired before going back onto the road FFS. :imp: :imp: If company can’t afford vehicle maintenance and repair it really shouldn’t be in business. What this seems to advocated is cost transfer from the company to the employee, next the driver will have to buy his own fuel, oil and screen wash!!!

i would have made a cardboard plate
as for the bulb.
why vehicles dont have bulb kits is beyond me…
mmmm means training in changing them i suppose and then the cost of
issuing a screwdriver

i would have gone with the cardboard one, let the office know and pick one up later.

i think you are just being picky and taking too much off people on here. there are a lot whiter than white on here who i dont belive for one minute. now at your rdc you have a bad name that will take a while to clear. :confused: :confused:

I would not employ a driver who would not and could not change a bulb FFS…

I would sooner have a guy who could use the fogs to get it back to base and workshops in the case of a headlight bulb, than one who would insist on me spending £350 minimum in getting DAF aid out… In case you think im being harsh, just take a look at the amount of cars on the road with blown bulbs, they all get pulled dont they??

And you guys wonder why wages are so poor, whiter than white and idiots to boot…

You could have gone with no plate on the trailer then you could do all the drops on time as you wouldnt have to worry about speed cameras

Coddy:

I would sooner have a guy who could use the fogs to get it back to base and workshops in the case of a headlight bulb, than one who would insist on me spending £350 minimum in getting DAF aid out… In case you think im being harsh, just take a look at the amount of cars on the road with blown bulbs, they all get pulled dont they??

And you guys wonder why wages are so poor, whiter than white and idiots to boot…

remind me not to use the DafAid in your area if that is what they charge :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

over the rest of the country, the standard DafAid call out fee for out of hours service is £128

do i take it that you willingly drop your trousers and bend over while they slip you a length? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

weve always got spare ones in side lockers or if g-cabs behind passenger seat, you have to tick it off on check sheet before leaving yard so if spares not there it can be replaced a.s.a.p .cant see why its not a requirement to run with spare, saves all the hassle if you loose a plate

switchlogic:
I didn’t mean he was wrong to bring it to the attention of the company. It was early in the morning, nowhwere to get a new plate, a run needs to be done and that maybe he should have just got on with it was my point.

As an aside, a friend has been working in Gist Thornbury as a shunter in agency recently. One of their employed drivers from Thatcham came in with a trunk. When he noticed a headlamp bulb was out he refused to drive back to Thatcham till it was fixed. It was 2am and DAF had to come out. I can’t begin to imagine the expense.

Lots of you moan about jobsworths without realising your becoming the very same.

i think we have heard enough from you if daf had to come out maybe they should have had soare bulbs on site spaRE SUZYS etc :imp: :imp: IF THERES NO NUMBER PLATE ON THE TRAILER ITS ILLEGAL TO DRIVE IT and if the poor bloke is gona earn 50-60 pounds after tax ins and he pays a £30 fine what has he got out of bed for. US DRIVERS NEED TO STAND TOGETHER AND BE COUNTED WE DONT NEED PEOPLE LIKE YOU TELLING US SEND HIM HOME AND GET ANOYHER DRIVER. you either stay the right side of the law or you dont no in between :imp: :imp:

I wouldnt have refused to take the vehicle out thats for sure…

I would have done something, a bit of cardboard, another number plate turned round and written the proper ne on the back, Hell on PTM i couldnt find the trailer plate for K10 PTM, but i could find T10 PTM, that’ll do, its close enough(Got pulled by the Police at Telegraph Hill for it mind)

There are plenty of ways round it i’m afraid mate.

Drivers don’t stick togther and if I’d have to stick togther with a load of ‘I’m not doing that’ jobsworths then I’ll carry on as I am thanks. Also, there is no need to get so uppity, I’m only giving my view.

Having always worked for smaller companies (apart from a stint on agency) I’ve become very self reliant, as smaller employers can’t afford drivers who behave like this. You may say they shouldn’t be in business and your getting your way, it’s why UK transport scence if becoming exclusivley big compaines doing bland boring work and the reason I have to go to Ireland to find a fun job!

All I’m saying is drivers need to be a bit flexible. Please don’t respond with another angry rant!

switchlogic:
Drivers don’t stick togther and if I’d have to stick togther with a load of ‘I’m not doing that’ jobsworths then I’ll carry on as I am thanks. Also, there is no need to get so uppity, I’m only giving my view.

Having always worked for smaller companies (apart from a stint on agency) I’ve become very self reliant, as smaller employers can’t afford drivers who behave like this. You may say they shouldn’t be in business and your getting your way, it’s why UK transport scence if becoming exclusivley big compaines doing bland boring work and the reason I have to go to Ireland to find a fun job!

All I’m saying is drivers need to be a bit flexible. Please don’t respond with another angry rant!

you are right drivers need to be flexible but my point is if the company pays the fine and take the points then i would of gone along with it the thing is mate you work for virginia transport nice trucks by the way your manager would probably back you by the sound of it his manager was telling him to get on with it like i said you either stay right side of law or you dont
p.s can we have a photo dairy pleaseon you next trip :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Coddy:

And if there is no bulb available the driver could not change it? And I’m not sure that I’d work for a company that would expect me to run unroadworthy vehicles.

coddy:

FFS if this cost is a regular occurance then you would be better advised to look as your service agreement. Straight answer - Would you either personally or as a company pay for any fines the driver incurred following instructions to take a vehicle onto the road in an unroadworthy condition? A yes or no will do. Would you expect the driver to lie in court to protect the company “o” license? A yes or no will do.

coddy:

Wages could also reflect ruthless pricing to the point that it isn’t profitable to run. I ain’t whiter than white but if I drive a vehicle with a light out, a cardboard number plate it wil be my choice accepting the risk not the company high flying desk jockey who would stab me in the back without a second thought and deny ever sending an unroadworthy vehicle on the road as that would be against company policy.

I really all boils down to the kind of company that you work for and the way they treat you.If you are employed by by a multi-national,pedantic and H&S crazy organisation where you are just a number then play them at their own game but on the other hand if you know your actions would be appreciated and you will ultimately benefit then why not?

shuttlespanker:

Coddy:

remind me not to use the DafAid in your area if that is what they charge :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

over the rest of the country, the standard DafAid call out fee for out of hours service is £128

do i take it that you willingly drop your trousers and bend over while they slip you a length? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah I meant to write £250, slip of the finger and not checking, hands up… By the time you take a call out, 1 hour, plus bulb etc, you can see why its cheaper th keep spares in the cab, takes 5 mins to do a CF bulb…

As for slipping me a length, noooooo though im sure there are plenty of keyboard heros who would like to stab me in the back LOL. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Same as Suzies, carry spares and have the noddle to change them, it not rocket science (Cheers for the quote DieselDave :wink: )

shuttlespanker:

Coddy:

Yeah I meant to write £250, slip of the finger and not checking, hands up… By the time you take a call out, 1 hour, plus bulb etc, you can see why its cheaper th keep spares in the cab, takes 5 mins to do a CF bulb…

As for slipping me a length, noooooo though im sure there are plenty of keyboard heros who would like to stab me in the back LOL. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Same as Suzies, carry spares and have the noddle to change them, it not rocket science (Cheers for the quote DieselDave :wink: )

Wiretwister:

Coddy:

And if there is no bulb available the driver could not change it? And I’m not sure that I’d work for a company that would expect me to run unroadworthy vehicles.

coddy:

FFS if this cost is a regular occurance then you would be better advised to look as your service agreement. Straight answer - Would you either personally or as a company pay for any fines the driver incurred following instructions to take a vehicle onto the road in an unroadworthy condition? A yes or no will do. Would you expect the driver to lie in court to protect the company “o” license? A yes or no will do.

coddy:

Wages could also reflect ruthless pricing to the point that it isn’t profitable to run. I ain’t whiter than white but if I drive a vehicle with a light out, a cardboard number plate it wil be my choice accepting the risk not the company high flying desk jockey who would stab me in the back without a second thought and deny ever sending an unroadworthy vehicle on the road as that would be against company policy.

Nowt wrong with carrying spares, and having the noddle and gumption to change a bulb/Suzie etc…

You obviously know little about service agreements and the paper they are written, its a method of allowing DAF/Scania/Volvo et al a license to print money from the big boys, been there done it got the T shirt.

So the there is ruthless pricing out there, we all know that, and ome simpleton who cant/wont change a bulb and would sooner sit on his arse feeling feeling smug while the dealer is called out Can make all the difference to the profit/loss of that vehicle/Company.

And im willing to bet that all those who say they wont take a vehicle out etc etc, are the ones who will check every single wheel nut with a brace before they go out on the road… Yes??

Sure it’s not legal but now all your bosses think you’re a right [zb]. I wouldn’t be suprised if you got taken off your cushey run and put on a god awful one

( please attack the post not the poster ) jd

Coddy:
Nowt wrong with carrying spares, and having the noddle and gumption to change a bulb/Suzie etc…

And if the company don’t supply the spares or hold them at the facility that the vehicle operates from■■?

coddy:
You obviously know little about service agreements and the paper they are written, its a method of allowing DAF/Scania/Volvo et al a license to print money from the big boys, been there done it got the T shirt.

Quite an assumption you’ve made there, and wrong as well. I have worked with service agreements and while they can be expensive they are weighed against other costs like uncontrolled spares usage, damage cuased by untrained/ill equiped people doing what they THINK is right and unaware of the unintended consequenses.

So the there is ruthless pricing out there, we all know that, and ome simpleton who cant/wont change a bulb and would sooner sit on his arse feeling feeling smug while the dealer is called out Can make all the difference to the profit/loss of that vehicle/Company.

And im willing to bet that all those who say they wont take a vehicle out etc etc, are the ones who will check every single wheel nut with a brace before they go out on the road… Yes??

Me I’ll do the checks as my company require and train me to do. The wheel nuts are a visual check with a further investigation if I suspect there may be a problem. I carry a small leatherman type multitool and if I cant fix a problem with that it goes to the workshop/breakdown. And no I don’t regard myselfas smug but I have been dumped on before and as the saying goes “Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me”

Ask for the basic spares, a lot of Companies will be willing to do that for a driver who is willing to ‘do that little extra’. If the Co is really a no spares carried one, then its up to you, if the Co and you are quite happy to pay the extra, then fine… thats down to the Company policy. A lot of it all boils down to basic common sense, headlight bulb, number plate, get home, split in a tyre and the fitters are called out…

Service agreements, in the long run you will lose, believe me. Sure peace of mind etc, but main dealers have a habit of using monkeys to do the basics, and these monkeys sometimes forget to grease a propshaft etc, I always used an independent, very good, very reliable, and half the price of DAFs.

With you carrying the Leatherman then you too are prepared to ‘assist’ in getting sorted, so agree you aint that smug :grimacing:

switchlogic:

[/quote]

Surely you wouldnt expect a guy to drive from Thornbury to Thatcham at night on a major motorway with only one headlight working■■? What if the other one went as well.

You wouldnt present a vehicle for an MOT with only one headlight so why expect a professional driver to drive it when he knows about the fault.

If a major blue chip firm like GIST havent got somebody on site to do a simple thing like change a bulb then thats thier own stupid fault…Dont blame the cost on the driver,hes just protecting his licence.
If the driver had took the vehicle then got stopped by VOSA or the Police and had ended up being fined I bet GIST would have turned round and said that the driver shouldnt have taken a vehicle with a defect out of the depot.

As for the number plate question…its your licence mate so its your choice as to how you protect it…i know its only a 30 quid fine for no number plate and not endorsable but I bet the company wouldnt have paid the fine for you if you had been stopped.