Hi reef

What type of fishing are you into.
I go meself.

brit_mark:
Hi reef

What type of fishing are you into.
I go meself.

maybe just a little off subject but no problem :laughing:

Coarse fishing is my bag but i havent had a chance to drown a maggot this year at all will set that right next season though.

Do you guys check all three nearside mirrors where there is the least doubt, like in this situation.

(I know this junction well Reef i only live just down the M55)

Did you ask her why she didn’t give a horn warning? Her insurance form should ask if one was given.

Out of the numerous trucks i’ve driven over the past few years, I’ve had to properly adjust & clean the top mirror on many of them. If its not correctly adjusted, shows it not normally used. You should be able to see area by the f/n/s wheel in it.

Very good point Driverone…and yes, I do, whenever I change lanes to my left.

Even then it’s not foolproof, as the muppet in the Skoda Octavia found out last May when he hovered in my blindspot for several minutes, completely out of view, despite my indicator going and a 40ft gap in front of him and twice that behind…I was queuing into roadworks on the A19 at the time and the car waa-aayy behind flashed me in. Funny how Mr Skoda found his throttle after he heard the crunch… :unamused:

Can’t help on the insurance thing as my firm settled without claim. I was 8 months pregnant at the time so I think they decided against trying to convince an insurance company that this didn’t affect my driving - although the look on Mr Skoda’s face was a picture when I got out. Credit where credit’s due, his missus was very nice and actually took my side, saying she knew how big a car blindspot was, never mind a truck’s… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses:

One thing which doesn’t help this one however, is high cabs. In Penfold the P-cab I could see anything in my mirror blindspot reflected in the windscreen, so there was never a problem. High cabs have their upsides from a forward visibilty and hence planning point of view, but they have their failings too as is shown in this thread.

Driveroneuk:
Do you guys check all three nearside mirrors where there is the least doubt, like in this situation.

Yes, being as I do 90% of my driving over the water with a right hand drive vehicle, every movement into lane two, or overtaking manoeuvre, means moving to the left and making use of all three mirrors.

I make sure the mirrors are adjusted properly and as a result I can see a bit of a car in at least one of the three mirrors the whole time they are passing me. That, coupled with a quick glance forward out of the bottom left of the windscreen means virtually no blind spot.

I’ve moved other trucks in the yard and sometimes I can’t believe the way the mirrors are adjusted. The kerbside mirror shows a great view of the passenger seat and the main mirror is adjusted so you can read the writing down the side of the trailer , with only an inch showing the view behind. Is that so the driver can check the trailer to remind him of the company name? The wide angle mirror is often adjusted so the first bit of tarmac you can see is somewhere near the drive axle which creates a big blind spot down by the door.

Driveroneuk:

I cant imagine any professional lgv driver not checking all three nearside mirrors. I mean it doesnt require any extra effort they are all in the same vicinity of each other after all

Driveroneuk:
Did you ask her why she didn’t give a horn warning? Her insurance form should ask if one was given.

Read the last part of my 1st post again Mr observant (or is that with mirrors only) :wink:

Lucy:
Even then it’s not foolproof, as the muppet in the Skoda Octavia found out last May when he hovered in my blindspot for several minutes, completely out of view, despite my indicator going and a 40ft gap in front of him

Replace Skoda with Honda civic coupe and he with she and youve pretty much repeated what happened to me lucy

Reef:
I cant imagine any professional lgv driver not checking all three nearside mirrors. I mean it doesnt require any extra effort they are all in the same vicinity of each other after all

That’s true Reef, but the mirrors have to be adjusted properly otherwise it doesn’t matter how many the driver looks in, or for how long, they won’t get all the information they need.

Neil, you’re mentioning of driving the right ■■■■■■ on the “wrong” side reminds me of when I went as passenger with my mate Arthur to Rome in 1986 in his 1977 F10. It had just the one mirror on each side.

He would just start to move out left slightly, then ask me ask to look down & see if there where any cars there.

One day I asked him how he went on when he was on his own. “oh, just start to move over & listen for a horn” :laughing: :unamused: :laughing: :unamused:

Apparently he’d found a few who’s horn didn’t work on the Paris peripherique over the years. :blush:

Also another point i would like to add is that i would not have had that blindspot in a DAF CF as the blindspot mirror is situated below the main nearside mirror, But in the RenOhNo Premium i was driving the blindspot mirror is located above the main mirror …Why■■? :confused:
So you can see low flying birds in your blindspot :unamused:

Coffeeholic:
That’s true Reef, but the mirrors have to be adjusted properly otherwise it doesn’t matter how many the driver looks in, or for how long, they won’t get all the information they need.

I dunno then maybe i need to review my future adjustments on my mirrors but i found the blindspot mirror was nearly useless (And had a big brown mark on it that was beneath the glass)and even though it wouldn’t go any further down it still had the same range as the main mirror

but of coarse you shouldn’t need mirrors before you change lanes, if your on the ball! shouldn’t you know whats around you before you start changing lanes?
i know that sounds a bit “i’m smarter than anyone else” but in that situation, i’m looking whats on my near side long before i start moving across!
in reality, blind spots are a poor excuse if you’ve got your wits about you.

Reef:
I was in lane 3 trying to make my way over to lane 2 and eventually lane 1, But as there was a car in lane 2 roughly half way down the length of my trailer i just had to sit tight with my leftie flashing.

Well obviously decision making wasn’t his/her strong point coz he/she just sat there looking at the pretty orange lights flashing down the side of my lorry.
well eventually he/she got the message and after what must have been approaching a minute by now he/she pulled over into lane 1 (hooray!!)
So after a good scour of my n/s mirrors (making sure muppet 1 wasn’t replaced by muppet 2) and a look of lanes 2 and 3 ahead started to filter my way gently into lane 2 (I like to take my time with lane changes coz that is how i was taught and i see no reason to change)
I get half way into lane 2 all is well and then all of a sudden a kind of gentle thud followed instantly with a grinding sound :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
What the hell was that!!.. Eyes shoot to mirrors (as i was looking forward at time of noise)
and i see…

NOTHING!!! :confused:
no cars in front or on either side of me nothing!!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Just then i catch sight of the red roof of a small sports car pulling over onto the hard shoulder… Oh FFS :angry: where the hell did that come from!!!
SO anyway i pull over onto the hard shoulder check she’s alright look at the grinding job i done on her car (honda civic coupe) with my front wheelnuts swap details and off on my not so merry way :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
I asked her couldnt you see the big thing with orange flashing lights coming gently and gracefully into lane 2 as you were obviously changing from lane 1 to lane 2 as we hit?? (as i was halfway into lane 2) and do you know what her reply was??..

And you never seen a red sports car at all, even though you’d merged with the two nearside lanes for a while with very light traffic, this car mysteriously appears apparently you didn’t see it as the lanes where merging, nor as you where waitng to get over? Here’s an excellent “reason to change” ! Instead of looking ahead at lanes 2 and 3 as you are pulling over into lane 2, pay particular attention to what is going on in lanes 1 and 2 behind you and when you are moving over then don’t make a meal of it, just move over!!

FNG:
If you moved into her lane as she undertook then it would probably go 100% against you…

And you’ve got an LGV license?

No but I defend insurance claims against commercial trucks and that is one I wouldn’t bother to.

If a driver admits to changing lanes and striking an established vehicle (regardless of the actions of the other vehicle), if it goes to court you will lose.

Sorry, but that’s how it goes.

FNG

No but I defend insurance claims against commercial trucks and that is one I wouldn’t bother to.

If a driver admits to changing lanes and striking an established vehicle (regardless of the actions of the other vehicle), if it goes to court you will lose.

Sorry, but that’s how it goes.

well thats insurance companies for you.
about as much sense as the media in this country.

I need a defence.

The ARF says I changed lanes and struck a car that I never knew was there.

But then goes on with several differing explainations as to what the car was possably doing. But it’s all suposition as the driver never saw the car.

The car driver says I was driving along minding my own business and a dirty rotten big truck moved into my lane. They won’t incriminate themeselves to say they were undertaking, thats for you to prove.

So what’s my defence? Tell me as I would happily deny these sorts of claims if I could.

FNG

FNG:
So what’s my defence? Tell me as I would happily deny these sorts of claims if I could.

FNG

“As far as I can tell, you’re guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of pooh.”
Lieutenant The Honourable George Colhurst St. Barleigh

driving along IN MY OWN LITTLE WORLD

So what’s my defence? Tell me as I would happily deny these sorts of claims if I could

how about joining the real world .

me thinks another case of people spending time in a hgv and see what crap we have to put up with. :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Mike-C:
And you never seen a red sports car at all, even though you’d merged with the two nearside lanes for a while with very light traffic

Obviously not if i hit it :unamused: …And who said it was light traffic?? were you there ■■

Mike-C:
this car mysteriously appears apparently you didn’t see it as the lanes where merging

Yes mysteriously hmmm …
lanes merging ■■..What are you drivelling on about… :angry:

Mike-C:
Here’s an excellent “reason to change”

Uhh!!

Mike-C:
Instead of looking ahead at lanes 2 and 3 as you are pulling over into lane 2, pay particular attention to what is going on in lanes 1 and 2 behind you and when you are moving over

Im in lane 3 driving along at 56 mph but i shouldn’t pay attention to this lane…ooooooooooK thats a new one on me. :open_mouth:
I am attempting to change to lane 2 but i should be looking behind me (what at my bunk) :unamused: :unamused: :confused: :confused:

Mike-C:
don’t make a meal of it, just move over!!

Please if you actually posess a full uk driving licence please please NEVER overtake me please!!!

Mike-C:
And you never seen a red sports car at all, even though you’d merged with the two nearside lanes for a while with very light traffic

reef:
Obviously not if i hit it :unamused: …And who said it was light traffic?? were you there ■■

You stated there was no one in lane one?

Mike-C:
this car mysteriously appears apparently you didn’t see it as the lanes where merging

reef:
Yes mysteriously hmmm …
lanes merging ■■..What are you drivelling on about… :angry:

Two lanes of m6 joing up with two lanes of m55 to form four lanes of now m6?

Mike-C:
Here’s an excellent “reason to change”

reef:
Uhh!!

Mike-C:
Instead of looking ahead at lanes 2 and 3 as you are pulling over into lane 2, pay particular attention to what is going on in lanes 1 and 2 behind you and when you are moving over

reef:
Im in lane 3 driving along at 56 mph but i shouldn’t pay attention to this lane…ooooooooooK thats a new one on me. :open_mouth:
I am attempting to change to lane 2 but i should be looking behind me (what at my bunk) :unamused: :unamused: :confused: :confused:

Correct, always use your mirrors well in advance of any intended manoevre so as you know what vehicles are around you. Also never look at your bunk whilst driving, it’s just for sleeping on,they all look the same and it means you aint paying attention to the road.

Mike-C:
don’t make a meal of it, just move over!!

reef:
Please if you actually posess a full uk driving licence please please NEVER overtake me please!!!

If i’m in my car, i wouldn’t go anywhere near you don’t worry !! Not that you’d notice anyway !!