Warning for residential courses

dcgpx:

rsg1234567:
The facts indicate the instructor was partly to blame

Curious as to how you’ve come to this conclusion? What has the instructor done to be blameworthy based on fact?

rsg1234567:
I personally think it is an error to offer courses just several days long with a test at the end without a prior assessment, to see if that was even realistic on an individual basis. People learn skills at different rates, doesn’t mean they are incapable of reaching the same end point.

This is standard times for LGV training and it’s not up to the school to offer mandatory assessment - that lies firmly with the trainee in making an informed decision based on their learning ability which only they know intimately. Would he have changed his mind if all the schools said he needed double hours to a standard course and twice the cost - probably would. This is why they should look very closely at their existing driving ability and ability to learn new driving techniques for a LGV and if doubt go get an assessment before committing

rsg1234567:
…sounds like op just needed a lot more time and confidence on easier roads, but the instructor may have been under pressure to complete all areas quickly including a full mock road test. Perhaps there was a personality clash even, but having the guy driving tight roads was clearly inappropriate for the stage he was at and it was a public safety issue to others to boot.

As above , the OP should have been fully aware of their own learning ability and done more research to find a course that suits - they would have been aware of needing longer but maybe the cost would have put them off hence as OP put it “ just go for it!”

Why shouldn’t they be driving on tight roads? You can’t avoid them in real life. Would it be trainers fault if they had passed and then went onto a tight road on their own on the job and then say they weren’t trained on that type of road ?

You could argue same over reversing , test nowhere near good enough for real life but you learn that on the job

Trainer has to try cover many types of road and they’re not going to risk public unnecessarily

rsg1234567:
I therefore disagree with you putting 100% of the blame at op doorstep and also wrong to arrogantly judge the guy to say he is unfit to drive hgvs when not in full detailed knowledge of what went on.

It is the OPs failure to fully look into exactly what he needed rather than turn up at a course then struggle and think this isn’t working and yes it cost him

There was nothing to stop him going to a local school even if not intending to use them just to get the assessment and see how they got on and then see what hours were suggested from it and if they fit in with their level of confidence after the assessment drive

And no one said he was unfit per se, it was suggested that as he was struggling with the basic, then it might not be their best career move

^^^^^^^^^^^ Everything he said

Pandion:
… I’d planned on going to an open day to meet the instructors but at 4 hours each way and the expense I decided to just go for it with a 4 day course and mod 4, that’s the first mistake.

You could have used a local driving school to get an assessment, or even the feel of driving a truck… I agree, it was a mistake to not have had some sort of assessment.

Pandion:
I also didn’t look at the contents of the course untill the Saturday before I left as I had to open the documents at the library. That’s the second and probably biggest mistake as I thought it would be full days.

I’m probably missing something here… but why did you need to go to the library to to open the documents?

Smartphones and iPads are usually able to open .pdf or MS Word docs, so you couldn’t you have at least read them when they arrived?

If you’d done that in a timely fashion, you could have made enquiry and got answers/clarifications to anything that you thought might have caused you a concern.

Much as I’m very reluctant to comment on this thread, I feel that folks are making all sorts of assumptions about the OP, his attitude and ability. Similarly, I am being criticised for various things.

There are factors missing from the whole story that it would be wrong of me to disclose on a public forum. If those issues were public the discussion would end very quickly. I can only discuss the issues raised by the OP and, as is often the case, there is more to this than meets the eye.

Carry on discussing if you wish. But, in the absence of all the facts, IMO it’s a waste of time.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
There are factors missing from the whole story that it would be wrong of me to disclose on a public forum. If those issues were public the discussion would end very quickly. I can only discuss the issues raised by the OP and, as is often the case, there is more to this than meets the eye.

Well that definitely puts new light on the matter.

Peter Smythe:
Carry on discussing if you wish. But, in the absence of all the facts, IMO it’s a waste of time.

And given that you quite rightly can’t disclose - I agree that this particular matter can’t really be commented on any further [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The-Snowman:
… the guy I was training with fell out with the instructor because he was constantly getting told not to drive over potholes but he felt moving out to avoid them was wrong.

He’s right isn’t he? :laughing: When I did my bus training with First we were told not to try to avoid potholes as the wheels were too wide and you often couldn’t, and trying to do so brought safety issues of its own. I must admit I probably wouldn’t have liked being pulled up on that either as it contradicts what I was taught! Is that true then, lorries must avoid potholes, or is it a grey area or just that instructor who thinks that?

SJB:

The-Snowman:
… the guy I was training with fell out with the instructor because he was constantly getting told not to drive over potholes but he felt moving out to avoid them was wrong.

He’s right isn’t he? :laughing: When I did my bus training with First we were told not to try to avoid potholes as the wheels were too wide and you often couldn’t, and trying to do so brought safety issues of its own. I must admit I probably wouldn’t have liked being pulled up on that either as it contradicts what I was taught! Is that true then, lorries must avoid potholes, or is it a grey area or just that instructor who thinks that?

Sorry I should clarify as ive worded it all wrong, this guy was just battering over them without even slowing down. Not so much the driving over them but more the way he was doing it.

Peter Smythe:
Much as I’m very reluctant to comment on this thread, I feel that folks are making all sorts of assumptions about the OP, his attitude and ability. Similarly, I am being criticised for various things.

delete my account

jonnyboat:
delete my account

Whats making you get yer knickers in a twist ■■?

Nykynz:
As somebody who is also travelling a fair few hours to Pete’s place to train in a few weeks, I was also worried about the B&B that is offered being a light sleeper.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
id imagine your first night out planned or unplanned should be a massive snowflake alert headache for your planner then. :unamused:

dieseldog999:

Nykynz:
As somebody who is also travelling a fair few hours to Pete’s place to train in a few weeks, I was also worried about the B&B that is offered being a light sleeper.

id imagine your first night out planned or unplanned should be a massive snowflake alert headache for your planner then. :unamused:

Snowflake? because i’m a light sleeper :laughing: you don’t know anything about me ^^

Not everybody’s doing their license to sleep at the side of the road, or to work in the haulage industry. If that’s what your into then fill your boots.

Feel free to stay in your own lane though…

dieseldog999:

Nykynz:

Well, ■■■■ me, John Wayne’s arrived…

As someone who has his initial medical tomorrow, I’ll be looking at booking a course pretty soon. This thread has been one of the most useful ones I’ve read.

Will I book with PSTT? Probably, but the information the OP has given is useful in allowing me to plan so as I don’t fall into the same traps.

I read the first paragraph about not slating PSTTT

I knew from that, that is exactly what it was, as drivers, we can already drive, if I was an instructor I wouldn’t expect a mirror coming through the side window.

The OP lost confidence in the instructor. I think if I was the instructor. I would have swapped seats at that moment. An examiner would most certainly do that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Smythe:

Just seen this. I’m not sure what you’re talking about but if you think it’ll add value then post it. You can PM me if you need to.

dieseldave:

Londontrucker123:

Peter Smythe:
Pandion has had his say and has possibly highlighted some points that upcoming candidates might find useful. I’ve replied to ensure that the context is correct.

As far as I’m concerned, end of thread!

Peter, with respect, who made you the king of trucknet?

You cannot command ‘end of thread’ as you see fit I’m afraid - sponsor or not.

You’ve made some fair points, but TBF Peter came nowhere near your “command ‘end of thread’ as you see fit” because he said “As far as I’m concerned” in the same sentence.

Think you missing the point a lil bit to be honest…

Rikki-UK:

Reef,

It’s far from a non-event my friend, it was censorship. Plain and simple. Your moderator should be removed for this.

Firstly let me explain the above
It is standard procedure for all the forum moderators, if they have any concerns over a thread and are unsure about the content, to temporarily lock it while they consult with the rest of the team and if required talk to the forum manager or push it up to me. Many threads do get locked and unlocked quite quickly.
All our moderators are volunteers with different experiences and viewpoints, which is why they work as a team to make decisions on consensus.

Nonsense. Why are Stobarts berated on here daily then with no threads locked? Was this a ‘team’ decision’ to lock the thread? Please be open about this. It wasn’t was it Rikki? Your argument is falling apart already. Are you saying that Trucknet has given moderators absolutely no guidelines regarding free speech and the like before they are appointed? How does it work then Rikki, just close threads that upset you or anyone who pays us? You honestly sound like you are spouting corporate nonsense-speak, frankly. Team huddle anyone…

With regard to the content of this particular thread. TruckNet is not a complaints department for any company, sponsor or not. PSTT could quite rightly have said that any issues should be addressed to them via PM or on the phone and they would help resolve the issues privately. I believe that it is to PSTT’s credit they chose to respond openly, fairly and show they have looked into this chaps issues in depth and taken those points on board that they may be able to address.

I’ve got news for you Rikki, Trucknet is just that - the unofficial complaints dept. for pretty much any and all gripes, be it crap companies, crap wages, crap working conditions, etc. Trucknet is the place to get stuff off ones chest, have a vent and simply ■■■■■. Like it or not. Say it ain’t so.

One a personal note I myself have spent a week at PSTT training, and stayed in the same accommodation,( by the sound of it the same room, up the stairs front room on the left, overlooking the lights) while it wasn’t the Ritz I found it one of the better B&B’s I have stayed in over the years. The landlady was very helpful and I am sure if approached would have tried to improve the chaps stay. However I don’t see the position of the room allocated and the problems this chap had with it can in any way be put on PSTT’s doorstep.

Lastly, your good / reasonable experience doesn’t in any way account for anything other than that? You slept fine, ok that’s fine, but it was just that - your experience. It in no way accounts for someone else’s - to discount another individual’s time there based on the time you happened to be there smacks of bias. So, you had an ok night there so that means everyone else must’ve too huh? Is this really the best environment for ‘all in residential package deal?’ Just sayin’…

So, if they are so good, name the B&B, then we can all go and have a good look at them on Trip Advisor?

I can’t believe you didn’t just see the course through after paying the money, you may have failed the test but at least you gave it a bash.

Can’t fault Peter Smythe’s training centre, my colleague trained there too. They bent over backwards for me, advised me over the phone/email what the course would be and I had it laid out in black and white once I’d paid so not sure where the surprise came from.

Best of luck for the future if you struggle to concentrate, I’d think of the safety of others when driving a big truck… I started out on the buses and worked out my kinks there so perhaps you could consider that as they’ll pay for your license, that way you can pretend and view it as getting some money back out of the scenario.