Walking away from an hgv dream

I know ppl will say whats the point of havin a clas 2 but why not have a bash at some parcel company on a 7.5t or even the vans u’ll be in the right place if someones off sick at the drop of a hat when they need to get that 18t’r out

Robin,

dont give up, i know it knocks your confidence when you dont get answerrs back to applications and CV’s sent out but try other companies. the ones that runs everything from vans to artics are better. get a foot in teh door on van work and then work your way up through teh ranks. i know you have your class 2 and want to drive big ones but walk before you run. when i was trying to get myself some work the agency were asking me to do some pretty horrible jobs in vans, to start with i accepted it all so i could get noticed and remembered. then it all built up over many months until i was knocking back work because i had already commited to a different agency on the day i was wanted. then luckily i got a full time job in an artic tramping for quite good money (i guess i was lucky with that one though)

it takes time and lot of hard work and frustration. take the job in another career but that doesnt stop you applying and driving round and seeing other firms in your spoare time does it? keep hold of the licence, it will always come in handy, just dont jack it all in and waste a grand just because there isnt many jobs at the moment. according to the news we are coming out of the recession now so you never know, in the next 6 months you might get a phone call. the company that have kept you on record might be worth a phone call every few weeks, just to keep your name fresh in thier mind.

keep smiling and always be polite on the phone or face to face (even if you feel like dragging them over thier desk and smashing thier head in), DONT BURN ANY BRIDGES JUST YET!

keep trying mate and im sure you will get there one day, maybe not today, tomorrow or even next month but one day you will and if it is all you have ever wanted to do you will be made up when you get your first drive!

good luck mate

I’d also try to go to these companies in person… If you’re well dressed, polite and there in person you’re a lot harder to ignore than an email. :sunglasses:

Thanks guys, good points. The one GOOD firm in town is tresure transport like i said above, he sends you a letter, and also emails you saying nothing but will keep you on file. I dont like to pester the guy too much, but if dreams came true, he would be the man id love to work for.

One day i will get one of those banner’s from rog saying well done on the job lol.

Robin_A:
One day i will get one of those banner’s from rog saying well done on the job lol.

I’ve not got one of those banners

Did you mean on-the-job or did you mean on-getting-the-job :exclamation: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

haha getting a job, one day.

tho winning the lotto one, mmmmm dreams, win lotto hehe.

Really pleased to hear you havent given up.

I went round to see people in person and it really helped. Rob Masters was a lovely bloke and said if they ever needed someone he would give me a call, and I believed him! Luckly I managed to get an interview with another firm, driving assessment sometime soon (where’d I put that pallet of loo roll :laughing: ) - anyway if I fail :blush: the driving assessment or it doesnt work out I will be in seeing Mr masters on a weekly basis ‘‘just to say hello’’. I dont think its pushy, people’ll be more likely to give a job to a ‘friend’ and so thats what you gotta make yourself!

Good luck! x

dannymandi:
Really pleased to hear you havent given up.

I went round to see people in person and it really helped. Rob Masters was a lovely bloke and said if they ever needed someone he would give me a call, and I believed him! Luckly I managed to get an interview with another firm, driving assessment sometime soon (where’d I put that pallet of loo roll :laughing: ) - anyway if I fail :blush: the driving assessment or it doesnt work out I will be in seeing Mr masters on a weekly basis ‘‘just to say hello’’. I dont think its pushy, people’ll be more likely to give a job to a ‘friend’ and so thats what you gotta make yourself!

Good luck! x

Rob is a top guy, he offered me the chance of some weekend work just before I got taken on at ND, need to boost the coffers up so might give him a bell see if he’d still be willing to give me the odd shift… :grimacing: