Walked out of my first HGV job - what next?

Bking:
Tell me this post is a ■■■■ take!
What can you say?
Somebody pulling a trailer brake “was the final straw”
WTF is happening?
Is everybody out there turning into a joke?

Taking the OP on face value - you’re lucky if you’ve never been in a place where the smallest thing can potentially be ‘the final straw’, it is not a very pleasant place to be I can assure you.

Along with other advice given I would suggest that the OP needs a break, maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks to get his head together. Talking to the employer might help, these days the ‘duty of care’ that is incumbent upon employers regarding the mental health of employees could be a lifeline. A GP visit may also be of benefit as these words are clear indications of depression that need some sort of help to resolve.

If there is understanding from the employer then a break, a change of duties and expectations may well make all the difference, if not then a change of direction, maybe a different type of work, whether it be within the transport industry or outside of it is in order.

OVLOV JAY:
How much “correct training” do these kids need to drive a manual truck and open the curtains?

The authorities such as the RHA and FTA have spent enough time and effort, according to their speal, in dumbing down the job so that everyone needs to be trained on everything. This includes taking your hgv, sorry lgv, test in a automatic without having looked at a manual before. A 5-speed manual in a car bears no resemblance to a 4 over 4 in a hgv, and that’s disregarding the fact it may have a splitter. How many car drivers would know how to get it from the bottom range into the top without being shown. I’m not talking about the four hours training to use a pump truck kind of thing beloved of the larger organisations and training schools but the 20 minutes around the industrial estate to give the new driver an idea of how the box works.

The OP got a start with a company who wanted an experienced bloke but got someone who had been ‘trained’ down to the basic needs that the very organisations they subscribe to had deemed appropriate. IMO the company got what they deserved. The OP isn’t the first and won’t be the last to find himself in this situation. Any decent company would have realised they had a newbie on their hands and allocated an hour, just one hour, to familiarise him with the equipment, paperwork and procedures of the company.

In the OP’s situation I would be signing up with numerous agencies and taking work in as many different avenues of the job in order to find which suits best.

I wonder if the OP was truthful in the initial interview, everyone wants “that job” and might say exactly what the interview panel want to hear [emoji101]
I also agree with the post about the first signs of depression, it does manifest itself like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sympathise with the OP on two counts…

1. His boss wanting him to break the law re: hours. I would change jobs over that.
  2. His boss bollocking him & calling him a numpty for breaking a piece of expensive kit he hadn’t been shown how to use properly. That, imo, was his gamble. Fact of the matter is though, he gave you a start few others would have, so I would have just put my head down and got on with it, learning from my mistake. Better to make your rookie mistakes working for some crappy outfit, than be doing them later on when your in a superior job.

Everything else, like being asked to try and get tipped early at an RDC is fair game. Just turn up, if the goods in chimp tells you to bugger off then it’s no skin off your back.

as said sign on with agency whilst knocking on doors ect, sounds like your well shut of a dodgy company!!

i cant understand why a company will let anyone loose in ££££££ of kit without knowing wether the driver can operate it correctly. especially in this day and age… with H&S ect… basically they have the bills for damage due to their own neglect in training you…

every company ive worked for you spent a little time with an experienced guy just to learn the basics…

Go get a desk job
Or maybe loading shelves
Clearly acting on your own initiative is not one of your strong points.

Know some of the clowns on here dont believe it but I did the middle east for a couple of years in the early eighties and you my son would be dead.

About time some people in this world grew some balls.
About time you realised that mummy will not always be there to hold your bloody hand.