Wages

smitch2402:
You are paid what your worth. Simple. Doesn’t matter what you do or who you do it for. It’s all the same. Generally the best staff get looked after better than those that won’t do what is needed. And the best companies always end up with the best staff. So if you don’t like it and you think you’re worth more go somewhere else, it’s not brain surgery.

So you’ve never seen a brown noser who’s next to useless get paid more than lads you know are good at what they do?

I don’t know whether to be pleased with what I’m getting as it seems to be quite generous and hasn’t gone down since I started or depressed because getting a payrise seems less likely than getting a ■■■■ off the pope.

car-man:
Having worked on transporters for the last 8yrs or so, i would be 99.9% certain that i would never earn what i do now on any other job.Fair enough we do work 56hrs p/w on average but then we get 5-6wks stand-down + 5 wks hols each year and always finished Fri middayish.I know a lot of drivers wouldnt entertain the job because of spending most of the wk in a ‘basic’ cab but my personnel view is i go to work to earn good money… (had a smile to myself when reading a thread yesterday about drivers on a certain company up in arms because they are ‘only getting highline scanny’s’ as opposed to toplines :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

just gone back on that game and im same as you, dont mind how i earn it (legal) as long as its a decent wage for what we do. have worked the “big” cabs for alot less money so happy with my wendy house and a decent wage :smiley:

gezt:
just gone back on that game…

You had me going for a moment there. I misread your post and replaced the word that with the. I thought blimey, times must be hard. :blush: :blush: :wink: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

gezt:
just gone back on that game…

You had me going for a moment there. I misread your post and replaced the word that with the. I thought blimey, times must be hard. :blush: :blush: :wink: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: nah im to ugly

car-man:
Having worked on transporters for the last 8yrs or so, i would be 99.9% certain that i would never earn what i do now on any other job.Fair enough we do work 56hrs p/w on average but then we get 5-6wks stand-down + 5 wks hols each year and always finished Fri middayish.I know a lot of drivers wouldnt entertain the job because of spending most of the wk in a ‘basic’ cab but my personnel view is i go to work to earn good money… (had a smile to myself when reading a thread yesterday about drivers on a certain company up in arms because they are ‘only getting highline scanny’s’ as opposed to toplines :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

You’re not on GOOD money anymore in that game. What you earn now thay were earning 20 years ago. That’s when it was good money and you COULDN’T get on it. There was a point last year, I think, when I saw THREE transporter firms looking for drivers.

44 Tonne Ton:

car-man:

You’re not on GOOD money anymore in that game. What you earn now thay were earning 20 years ago. That’s when it was good money and you COULDN’T get on it. There was a point last year, I think, when I saw THREE transporter firms looking for drivers.

there are rakes of transporters parked up on alconbury airfield that they cant shift and no work, there must be about 30.

As said above there’s no money on the transporter work anymore. Guy on our firm got made redundant with serveral other drivers from a large transporter firm last year, apparentley after a few months he got a call from them saying they had cut too many drivers and would he like his old job back? On new terms and conditions and reduced pay of course!

darkseeker:
So you’ve never seen a brown noser who’s next to useless get paid more than lads you know are good at what they do?

Yes I have and a couple spring immediately to mind. They do tend to be the exception I think.

The point I was trying to make was that there are many who work the system to their benefit by always being available and ready to do what is asked. I am one of the latter. I never start too early on Mondays but never complain if I get stuck out on Friday night. Although I can’t remember the last time I wasn’t home Friday. I will always try to help out if I can. My reward - my hours haven’t gone down, still tramp 5 days and I’m still earning the same as ever and I don’t get the ■■■■■■ jobs.

You might question the ‘reward’ but when many drivers for other local companies were home every night for weeks on end and a large number of our own drivers were complaining about loss of hours I quietly carried on still earning. True I haven’t had a pay rise for the last two years but i haven’t had a pay cut either. I also rest easier because when push comes to shove I won’t be the first out the door (unless I find something better) and when the company look to save some money they don’t look at me.

We have to stop thinking of this as a way of life now. For most of us it’s just a job. It pays the bills and puts beer in your glass. If it doesn’t then go somewhere that does. There are still a few prime companies to work for but they are becoming harder to find. So it’s about time we put the ‘good old days’ to bed.

I still enjoy the driving and it still outweighs the hassle from the office/warehouses/muppets on the road. The money is still good enough (but more would be nice).

But if the benefits are outweighed by the aggro and you can’t laugh about it. You are always angry, looking for someone to punch. If the job makes you miserable and your always p****d off then maybe it’s time to get out. Go find something that makes you smile.

That’s it. That’s my thoughts on the subject. Feel free to comment. If you want to be rude then don’t bother because I won’t, it ain’t worth it.

oooooh…if anyone knows of companies that are within a decent distance from Basingstoke, Hampshire who pay excellent money then let me know…I’ll do pretty much anything for the right price :stuck_out_tongue:

The point I was trying to make was that there are many who work the system to their benefit by always being available and ready to do what is asked. I am one of the latter. I never start too early on Mondays but never complain if I get stuck out on Friday night. Although I can’t remember the last time I wasn’t home Friday. I will always try to help out if I can. My reward - my hours haven’t gone down, still tramp 5 days and I’m still earning the same as ever and I don’t get the [zb] jobs.

You might question the ‘reward’ but when many drivers for other local companies were home every night for weeks on end and a large number of our own drivers were complaining about loss of hours I quietly carried on still earning. True I haven’t had a pay rise for the last two years but i haven’t had a pay cut either. I also rest easier because when push comes to shove I won’t be the first out the door (unless I find something better) and when the company look to save some money they don’t look at me.

We have to stop thinking of this as a way of life now. For most of us it’s just a job. It pays the bills and puts beer in your glass. If it doesn’t then go somewhere that does. There are still a few prime companies to work for but they are becoming harder to find. So it’s about time we put the ‘good old days’ to bed.

I still enjoy the driving and it still outweighs the hassle from the office/warehouses/muppets on the road. The money is still good enough (but more would be nice).

But if the benefits are outweighed by the aggro and you can’t laugh about it. You are always angry, looking for someone to punch. If the job makes you miserable and your always p****d off then maybe it’s time to get out. Go find something that makes you smile.

That’s it. That’s my thoughts on the subject. Feel free to comment. If you want to be rude then don’t bother because I won’t, it ain’t worth it.

[/quote]
Exellent Post!!