W & J Riding Ltd Longridge Preston

moomooland:
0Seddon Atkinson 401 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No B800 YFR Fleet No 75 ‘Great Western’, powered by a Gardner 8LXCT 300 bhp engine, is pictured here coupled to a forty foot tri-axle flat platform trailer delivering the last 4 bags of cement to a ship berthed in Tees dock.

This was part of an order for 20,000 tons from Castle Cement at Clitheroe which went to the Ascension Islands to build a runway after the Falklands war.

Now that is a very interesting post “mml”, it equals 800 loads so I wonder how many a day were delivered ? 100 maybe ? and did WJR deliver the whole shipment ? That sure is a rapid traffic flow in one direction and do you know what----- I bet Mr Tom reloaded every motor back to Lancashire ! :wink: Very interesting all the same . Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:
Now that is a very interesting post “mml”, it equals 800 loads so I wonder how many a day were delivered ? 100 maybe ? and did WJR deliver the whole shipment ? That sure is a rapid traffic flow in one direction and do you know what----- I bet Mr Tom reloaded every motor back to Lancashire ! :wink: Very interesting all the same . Cheers Bewick.

They were doing 8 loads a day out of Castle Cement which equated to 200 tons a day 1000 tons a week and was completed in around 20 weeks and as you say not one trailer returned empty as the Lancashire traffic off Teesside was phenomenal at that time.

Hi i was reading about this company. I am from ireland. Would this company ran to ireland to a plastics factory in a town called clara in the midlands. Going by the pictures it was then. Late 80s early 90s if not before.

mwillis:
Hi i was reading about this company. I am from ireland. Would this company ran to ireland to a plastics factory in a town called clara in the midlands. Going by the pictures it was then. Late 80s early 90s if not before.

Yes they did run to a couple of destinations in the South in the days when they would wait up to three hours to cross the border at Newry.
One was a regular tanker job out of Runcorn to Clara which took three days to complete via the ‘spring busting’ potholed roads in those pre EU days.
The other destination they ran to was Balbriggan just up the coast from Dublin.
Regards Paul.

Just found some w j Riding pics ,FEO51V ,DWN483V ,and what looks like COL628V ? Pulling a bainbridge silencers curtainsider .

Punchy Dan:
Just found some w j Riding pics ,FEO51V ,DWN483V ,and what looks like COL628V ? Pulling a bainbridge silencers curtainsider .

Hi Dan, They used to have a factory at the south end of Blackpool, Ridings seemed to command all the traffic out of there, We used to deliver wrapping paper to a firm nearby, Plus we used to reload there too, Back to Newcastle, This was in the early 80s, Regards Larry.

Punchy Dan:

Riding’s had quite a number of tractor units and trailers assigned to the Timax/Bainbridge exhaust systems contract that ran out of the Timax factory at Squires Gate Blackpool and Glasson Dock near Lancaster, many of which were double shifted.

COL628V ? is fleet number 14 , DWN483V is 53.

Punchy Dan:

6-11-2032.JPG Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No COL 628V Fleet No 14 ‘Iron Duke’ was powered by a ■■■■■■■ E290 engine.
It was originally a day cab which was registered new to the Dunlop Company on the 13th of August 1979 who used it as a mobile test outfit to gain experience with their Maxaret anti jack knife braking system.
When bought by W.J. Riding it was sent over to Geoff Yates of Preston who successfully converted it into a full blown sleeper cab.

DWN 483V-001.jpg Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No DWN 483V Fleet No 53 ‘Robert the Bruce’ was one the four tractor unit’s that were purchased second hand from Entress Transport of Swansea.
Powered by a ■■■■■■■ E290 engine in line with a Fuller 9 speed gearbox and Rockwell axle DWN 483V was first registered on the 2nd of June 1980 and cost £21,750.
Purchased by Riding’s in March 1982, at a cost of £13,000, it was sold on a number of years later to Abrams of Ormskirk for £3,000.

I often wish I could remember the names of the lads I became friendly with during my years with Allison,s Dundee there were several W&J Ridings among them … one big curly headed lad drove an F88 I often used got lumbered at the Newton le willows depot shunting the night trunk and changed over in Preston (Great dance hall the Mecca ) and running up and down the 74 and 6 we all used to know each other … not like the mad rush today ■■?
and who were the mob out of Warrington seemed to have most of the levers work ■■?

image.jpeg

moomooland:

mwillis:

Yes they did run to a couple of destinations in the South in the days when they would wait up to three hours to cross the border at Newry.ŕ
One was a regular tanker job out of Runcorn to Clara which took three days to complete via the ‘spring busting’ potholed roads in those pre EU days.
The other destination they ran to was Balbriggan just up the coast from Dublin.
Regards Paul.[/quote

Thank for the reply… remember them well.
Associated plastics was factory… it also gone now…
So are most of the potholes lol…
Also remember company called ancliff i think… they came aswell after wj riding…

image.jpegSFR950P

Punchy Dan:
0SFR950P

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :blush: :blush: How dare you Dan’l Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
0SFR950P

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :blush: :blush: How dare you Dan’l Cheers Dennis.

If you look back Dennis you will see the history of SFR950P cheers Dan :unamused: :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:
0SFR950P

If you look back Dennis you will see the history of SFR950P cheers Dan :unamused: :laughing:

Hi Dan, Well its a Blackpool Reg :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: , Regards Larry.

moomooland:

Punchy Dan:

0 Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No COL 628V Fleet No 14 ‘Iron Duke’ was powered by a ■■■■■■■ E290 engine.
It was originally a day cab which was registered new to the Dunlop Company on the 13th of August 1979 who used it as a mobile test outfit to gain experience with their Maxaret anti jack knife braking system.

I’m surprised that they were investigating anti jacknife systems in the late seventies.

Seem to remember loads of adverts for the Davies anti jacknife system (? Could be completely wrong with that name) in the late sixties, early seventies. Foot on the brake put a lock on the fifth wheel pin iirc. However by then they had figured out that easing the power of the front brakes stopped the drive axle lifting, which was called balanced braking.

I bought a Mastiff in 1969. No anti jacknife system, but balanced braking. I drove many trucks over the next 13 or so years and never had a jacknife problem. The balanced braking seemed to have cured it.

Maybe someone will correct me here, but that’s how I remember it.
John

John West:

moomooland:

Punchy Dan:

0 Seddon Atkinson 400 Series 4x2 tractor unit Reg No COL 628V Fleet No 14 ‘Iron Duke’ was powered by a ■■■■■■■ E290 engine.

I’m surprised that they were investigating anti jacknife systems in the late seventies.

Seem to remember loads of adverts for the Davies anti jacknife system (? Could be completely wrong with that name) in the late sixties, early seventies. Foot on the brake put a lock on the fifth wheel pin iirc. However by then they had figured out that easing the power of the front brakes stopped the drive axle lifting, which was called balanced braking.

I bought a Mastiff in 1969. No anti jacknife system, but balanced braking. I drove many trucks over the next 13 or so years and never had a jacknife problem. The balanced braking seemed to have cured it.

Maybe someone will correct me here, but that’s how I remember it.
John

Hiya,
I seem to remember the Headlight magazine always carried an advert
for the “Hope anti jacknife system” this would be the 60s.
thanks harry, long retired.

Here’s a screen shot of the the new look W & J Riding website.
Apart from the visual background changes etc you can now just click on any picture and it will open up full size.
Also when looking through the galleries, which now contain over 1,400 pictures, it should now appear a lot smoother when scrolling through.
Enjoy the site and thanks for looking in.
Click below…

Heres an article from 1985 Paul ! :smiley: :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.