W & J Riding Ltd Longridge Preston

wjriding.co.uk/

moomooland:
We have now started an interactive forum on the W & J Riding web site.
We hope to hear from any past drivers and also Tom Riding will answer any questions you may have about the old firm.
You can see the new forum HERE

Regards Paul and Tom

Hi Paul,I’m having difficulty in re-setting my new password,the site isn’t that secretive is it ? I can get into my account at Coutts easier !!Unlike Tom who probably keeps all his 'int mattress eh! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:
Hi Paul,I’m having difficulty in re-setting my new password,the site isn’t that secretive is it ? I can get into my account at Coutts easier !!Unlike Tom who probably keeps all his 'int mattress eh! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
You shouldn’t have any problems signing in.
The only advantage being a member is it just makes it a lot easier when you leave comments in the forum or in the guestbook, apart from that everything else on the site is there for anyone to see.
Regards Paul

Apologies for the site outage on Monday the 18th of February this was due to a problem with our host server.
We have also now added an interesting ‘W & J Riding Sub Contactors’ section to the site which you can find HERE :smiley:
Regards Paul

moomooland:
Apologies for the site outage on Monday the 18th of February this was due to a problem with our host server.
We have also now added an interesting ‘W & J Riding Sub Contactors’ section to the site which you can find HERE :smiley:
Regards Paul

Bewick Transport were “sometime” subbies for W&J R over the years we were operating,and we were always glad to help out where we could.The jobs were mainly the odd consignments from Kent as this part of the UK was alien to W&J,the UK map in the Longridge traffic office was,apparently, just plain white south of Birmingham !!! They were a great outfit with a “diamond” G’uvnor!! Cheers Dennis. :slight_smile: :wink:

Bewick:
Bewick Transport were “sometime” subbies for W&J R over the years we were operating,and we were always glad to help out where we could.The jobs were mainly the odd consignments from Kent as this part of the UK was alien to W&J,the UK map in the Longridge traffic office was,apparently, just plain white south of Birmingham !!! They were a great outfit with a “diamond” G’uvnor!! Cheers Dennis. :slight_smile: :wink:

Spoke to Tom regarding not going South of Birmingham and he said that was the norm for the general haulage fleet as it was to much trouble messing about getting a back load when we had more than enough work in the North and Scotland.

As regards the powder tanker fleet they ventured in to the South East on a regular basis as ICI paid for a full round trip even though the tankers always returned empty

Found this on the net Paul.What happened here do we know and was it rebuilt?

wjriding.co.uk/

The W & J Riding website has now had over 319000 views as of the 19th of September 2023 :smiley: [/size]

realy good thread , i used to loadout off ici runcorn and ridings always there , good bunch lads always ready to help. i rem ■■■■ he had a volvo, ken moon and mick and i think one called marley.

After being in service with W & J Riding for many years quite a number of the vehicles in their fleet were sold on to other operators where they carried on working for a number of years.

We have now included a Life after Ridings section which you can go direct to HERE[/b]

TR 80b.jpeg

Happy Birthday Tom Riding 80 today!!

All the best Tom have a great day

hiya,
From one of your former drivers in the mid 60s.
All the very best Tom and very many more of them.
thanks harry, long retired.

Great picture Paul,he does look good for 80…Happy Birthday Tom and thanks for all the pictures on Pauls W&J Ridings site. :smiley:
Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Happy Birthday Tom,and many more of 'em ! You truly are one of the finest men to have ever operated within the British transport industry,sadly many of your contemporaries are no longer with us,oh! and who managed to snaffle that one slice of cake before the photo was taken ?Aye these Lancashire lads weren’t backward in coming f’orard when’t t’cake was put o’nt table eh :laughing: ! All the best,kind regards Dennis.

Tom Riding is in hospital at the moment after undergoing a heart by pass operation.
Hopefully he will be back on line in the not to distant future.
Until then i am sure many of you will join me in wishing Tom all the best for a speedy recovery. :slight_smile:

Tom Riding pictured at the entrance to Longridge depot on Saturday the 28th of October 1995 the day he retired from the company.
He is stood next to ERF 4x2 tractor unit Reg No N780 ERN Fleet No 14 ’ Hotspur’ which was registered new the previous month on the 1st of September 1995.
Photograph courtesy of the late Michael Deuchars.

Sorry to hear that Tom is “in dock” I hope his op was a success and maybe he’ll be home for Christmas,in the meantime I wish him all the best and hope it will not be too long before he’s 100% fit again.Kind regards Dennis.

Bewick:
Sorry to hear that Tom is “in dock” I hope his op was a success and maybe he’ll be home for Christmas,in the meantime I wish him all the best and hope it will not be too long before he’s 100% fit again.Kind regards Dennis.

Seconded

gingerfold:

Bewick:

Seconded

Thirded