volvo oil leak

windrush:
Some of the extended oil change figures are scary, we thought it wrong when ■■■■■■■ stated changing oil at 25.000 miles! At Tilcon we changed engine oil, filter and both fuel filter’s on all vehicles (trucks, cars, Land Rover’s and vans etc) on a monthly basis which was perhaps a little OTT I suppose, but that was company policy 30 years ago. Of course since then oils have improved however, as has been said, oil is cheaper than metal in the long run.

Pete.

I remember when someone specced a Fleetguard system on a ■■■■■■■ powered motor because he didn’t have to change the oil. It scared me then, it still scares me now. Oil is the cheapest maintenance tool in the box and it does depend on the type of work you are doing, to say “this engine does not need an oil change for 12 months” is wrong. What about a dusty job, a tanker job where there is a lot of idling, how about a dusty tanker job?

You need three things when you change the oil. a new filter, some oil and a magnet :wink:

Was that system the one that put a bit of used oil in the fuel tanks to be burned off during combustion and had a chassis mounted oil tank to keep oil level topped up :question:

coiler:
Yes. Assuming it is the 12 litre engine you’re looking at the seal where the wiring loom goes into the head (the injector wiring) starts to leak into the inside of the wiring conduit, which runs down to the junction box for the wiring just below, this fills with oil then drips down the block.

Not a big problem, parked up for an hour you may get a couple of drips, certainly not pg9 material. Over a weekend you can end up with a fair size puddle of oil on the floor.

Cure is to reveal the injector wiring in the head, Volvo main dealers normally use the Volvo grey silicone sealant, then clean all the wiring loom out with brake cleaner.

It will still leak for about a week or so after as all the oil finds it’s way out of the conduits, then stop.

Think all my 12 litre engines have done it.

hi coiler
how do you fix this leaking.
do you take the rocker cover off and do you have to remove the wiring conduit or just clean and seal in situ
any tips on remedy are welcome
thanks in advance

I am very interested in the truck but a lot of people am talking to say they are very expensive when they go wrong I am avoiding the ad blue euro 4 and 5 so it aint got any of that head ache is cost of repairs something I should be concerned about with Volvo

dont touch an egr volvo. a 440 on timber haulage will only get 4 mpg. as for servicing intervals 50k max and use the manufacturer reccomended oil and genuine filters.

volvoguy:

coiler:
Yes. Assuming it is the 12 litre engine you’re looking at the seal where the wiring loom goes into the head (the injector wiring) starts to leak into the inside of the wiring conduit, which runs down to the junction box for the wiring just below, this fills with oil then drips down the block.

Not a big problem, parked up for an hour you may get a couple of drips, certainly not pg9 material. Over a weekend you can end up with a fair size puddle of oil on the floor.

Cure is to reveal the injector wiring in the head, Volvo main dealers normally use the Volvo grey silicone sealant, then clean all the wiring loom out with brake cleaner.

It will still leak for about a week or so after as all the oil finds it’s way out of the conduits, then stop.

Think all my 12 litre engines have done it.

hi coiler
how do you fix this leaking.
do you take the rocker cover off and do you have to remove the wiring conduit or just clean and seal in situ
any tips on remedy are welcome
thanks in advance

Hi, never done one myself, always get Volvo dealer to do it so it has a 2 year warranty if it leaks again which they sometimes do, all i know is in above post.

I had the loom resealed on mine last inspection. Dry as a bone now.
I always do oil and filters every other inspection.
Had the motor c. 4 yrs now and nearly on 1.1m kms.