volvo fl10s.....

My first ever HGV driving job was driving an FL10 for Freelance Transport in Felixstowe working on container tanks. I spent nearly 9 years living in an FL10 (apart from the weekends) It really was a great truck in all those years I can only ever remember breaking down once . if I remember it was something to do with the diesel pump. I broke down on the M25 in the middle of winter. The reg was E143 OAH probably long dead now :frowning:

Oxford BRS ,LATE 80S .

Fuel pump drive coupling/discs was a favourite failure on VOLVO engines Tankerman24. They flexed and eventually cracked. Upset the injection timing and you ground to a halt. Hours work and back on the road.

Following on from a previous post on FL10’s, here is my first and only Volvo FL10.
First registered on 1st August 1987 which was a Sunday, it done our local carnival as it’s first job.
Next day, it was off to Liverpool docks from Norwich for it’s first proper load. I back loaded road salt from Middlewich for Norwich.
A good run for the lorry and it never used any oil. I covered over 100,000 kilometres in the first year and was very little trouble.
The only problem really was the dipstick got stuck in the sump so had to be fixed by dropping the sump off under warranty and replacing the tube and stick.
I left the company after having the lorry 18 months. Unfortunately, in 1990, the lorry rolled over and it was broken up for spares and eventually cut up.

scan0002.jpg

P

IMG_1116.JPG

3300John:
Hiya… I had this thing for 6 years and thrashed the living life out of it(I hated it)but it would go from Chester to Aylesham in 6hours 10 mins fully layden.
to this day i dont know how it got from a-b so quickley when it seemed to be passed by everything under the sun.Going up windy hill it was down to 30 mph.
But it never seemed to break down.I did 675000klicks and it only had tyres/linings and front drums.I had a 3300 space cab DAF before this lump of crap.
maybe the roof extension version FL 12 was a better truck… it did look quite nice…little story…when i first got the fl i woke up wanting a pee all my gear was on the passanger seat and the drivers seat was tilted forward.QUICK DO SOMETHING so i peed in my bowl then i put the bowl on top of the telly rummaged around to open the drivers window.then looked for the bowl YES i’d knocked it off with my elbow and pee was running down into the passanger side floor well it would have been less trouble to have just peed in the sack.GOD I HATED THAT TRUCK.

John

Hi,I remeber you!! You use to go to ECC in Beverley then later on we use to delivery it our selves to you. We use to run F12s out of there.

spotted this in Lignasite Brandon

My new mini FL, red wine and eBay are a bad mix :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :smiley:

IMG_1258.JPG

Stirling 9509:
Following on from a previous post on FL10’s, here is my first and only Volvo FL10.
First registered on 1st August 1987 which was a Sunday, it done our local carnival as it’s first job.
Next day, it was off to Liverpool docks from Norwich for it’s first proper load. I back loaded road salt from Middlewich for Norwich.
A good run for the lorry and it never used any oil. I covered over 100,000 kilometres in the first year and was very little trouble.
The only problem really was the dipstick got stuck in the sump so had to be fixed by dropping the sump off under warranty and replacing the tube and stick.
I left the company after having the lorry 18 months. Unfortunately, in 1990, the lorry rolled over and it was broken up for spares and eventually cut up.

wow your reg and mine were so close mine was E143 OAH I will have to scan some of my old pics

Was visiting Volvo HQ today, and saw this FL, … nice above the fire maybe :open_mouth: :laughing:

This one was mine daily for some 3 years (1999-2002). 300 bhp FL 10 with skip + tipping trailer.

Went to a yard last Saturday must have been 20 fl10s :smiley: in some dead but most alive in one way or another :smiley: plus some F 7s and f86 is and a 88 all 4x2 units :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Lance Biscomb:
Went to a yard last Saturday must have been 20 fl10s :smiley: in some dead but most alive in one way or another :smiley: plus some F 7s and f86 is and a 88 all 4x2 units :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Next project purchased then Lance? :smiley: :open_mouth:

TDG Harris Logistics - Volvo FL10 in RHM Contract Livery - (M295PCP):

TDG Williams Distribution - Volvo FL10 - (P859HFY):

TDG McPherson - Volvo FL10 - (K646DSE):

TDG Harris Distribution - Volvo FL10 - (L73DBU):

The 50,000th Volvo Truck.
Roadferry - Volvo FL10 - (R661URM):

FL10 In the livery of Mansfield Sand Company

Mansfield Sand Company FL10.jpg

First trip out, for my Wendyhouse…Jacks Hill cafe, used more fuel building up the air than getting to the event :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You can never say its finished… :open_mouth:

IMG_2331.JPG

Firstly, that’s a fine job you’ve done with that FL10 there, ‘SteelboyF10’! :smiley:

Secondly, if the front page of the ‘i’ newspaper is anything to go by, North Korea is threatening the US with re-cycled Volvo FL10s! :laughing: :laughing: Picture below:

A couple more; same vehicle - different owners:

Volvo FL10 - P & O - (J925JBV):

Volvo FL10 - Atkinson) - (J925JBV):