Volvo F88 v Scania 111

tonyhogi:
anyone that didn’t follow the correct ‘start up’ procedure would be engulfed in clouds of thick smoke :blush: :blush: :open_mouth:

h, the EPR (exhaust pressure regulator) switch, up for cold start? It held the exhaust brake on for a warm up period on tick over.

Ross.

The Scania is a good lorry as long as you have 20 more in the yard for spares.

h, the EPR (exhaust pressure regulator) switch, up for cold start? It held the exhaust brake on for a warm up period on tick over.

Ross.

[/quote]
That was it! Thanks Ross :wink:

pete 359:
both machines for me had their plus’ and minus’.my childhood was spent in the 70’s travelling in f88’s, so for that reason i bought,restored and ran this motor for 5 years.i would have a 111 tomorrow though :smiley:

Is this yours in a earlier life?

So it was aplasstic grill look at it now its half 230/40 & half 290

tonyhogi:

pete 359:
both machines for me had their plus’ and minus’.my childhood was spent in the 70’s travelling in f88’s, so for that reason i bought,restored and ran this motor for 5 years.i would have a 111 tomorrow though :smiley:

Is this yours in a earlier life?

hi,
yes that’s my old f88.when she was new she was running tyres to france with brs.that’s how it was a sleeper cab tractor,remember in the 1970’s the unions ruled the roost and brs could only “get away with it” because she was running abroad.ironically the chap i sold it too runs it with the earlier 240 aluminium grille.i prefered the larger plastic 290 grille.
regards andrew

evertidy d series in the background,they were based in cannock road wolverhampton. :slight_smile:

Hi All well back in the good old days i did own a 240 16 speed F88 was a lovely truck felt king of the road, later i drove for Pat Duffy of Southampton running from the south coast to Italy and he was a scania man i had 110, 111, and finaly a 141 loved them all especially the 141 was a fantastic truck but i was a volvo man and Pat went and got me an F12 now out looking back out of the 12 and the 141 the scania wins without a dought,then moving on a while driving for Mark Compton of Poole Dorset i had the old F89 now line the all up which would i walk to…

Call me nuts THE F89. Just felt right for me :laughing: :laughing: Good luck to you all Best Regards Jimski

Hi All heres my 240 16 speed NBH 518M

And here is my favorite truck the F89 CLU 98T

In Milan Italy with Pat Duffys Scania 141was my Favorite scania, Dunno what it was about the F89 still the best :smiley: Regards Jimski

This is definitely a one sided argument as in my opinion the Scania was always head and shoulders above the Volvo.The Scania was a much “harder” vehicle than the Volvo and also of simpler design.The toughest ,simplest spec of motor was, I maintain,the 111 with the 5spd box! “bomb proof”!!! Bewick.

I know the F88 290 had engine truoble once in a while but I did see the odd 111 blow up as well. I remeber an 18 month old one blowing up as it was accelerating away ,loaded,from traffic lights…and blow up it did…you could put your hand straight through the side of the engine block and out the other side! It put seven or eight large holes in both sides of the block…some as large as a football. We towed it back to our workshop where it laid in state for three weeks waiting for a Scania factory engineer to come and look at it. When he arrived,he just took a few photos and gave the all clear to fit a totally new unit to it. He also told us,at that time(1980)they had a serious problem with 6 cylinder 11 litre engines blowing up all over Europe…they nicknamed it the Window Engine. Funnily enough,its twin sister gave over a million hard trouble free kilometers of service without any problems. I often wondered what caused the engine to blow up so spectacularly…it must have been a manufacturing/assembly defect of some kind.

I worked at the Scania agents for many years and never saw a blown 111 engine ! I worked on loads of 80/81’s changing head gaskets and piston liner sets. In all that time I only came across one 11ltr engine failure and that was a 110 belonging to Lloyds of Ludlow which came in for its first service with a deep engine knock, this turned out to be a broken crank web which was a casting defect.
The 11 ltr engines were very reliable, not so the gearboxes be it the earlier splitter or the later range change which suffered from weak syncromesh, wiser operaters (Dennis !) opted for the much more reliable 5 speed.
Regarding the 80 DS 8 series, they were a constant nightmare if they were run at 32ton and kept us very busy, the normally aspirated models with the D8 engine (non turbo) gutless as they were never saw the workshops.

Trev_H:
I worked at the Scania agents for many years and never saw a blown 111 engine ! I worked on loads of 80/81’s changing head gaskets and piston liner sets. In all that time I only came across one 11ltr engine failure and that was a 110 belonging to Lloyds of Ludlow which came in for its first service with a deep engine knock, this turned out to be a broken crank web which was a casting defect.
The 11 ltr engines were very reliable, not so the gearboxes be it the earlier splitter or the later range change which suffered from weak syncromesh, wiser operaters (Dennis !) opted for the much more reliable 5 speed.
Regarding the 80 DS 8 series, they were a constant nightmare if they were run at 32ton and kept us very busy, the normally aspirated models with the D8 engine (non turbo) gutless as they were never saw the workshops.

dads experience with scania was opposite to yours. he had a scania 81 artic with the turbo engine and splitter gearbox for 7 years running on 32 ton tipper work and never had any problems with it. then he had a 5 year old scania 111 that was always blowing headgaskets and needing piston liners. he always prefered the 81. i had the 81 when i started driving. it was stretched and made into a 4 wheeler tipper. i ran it for 4 years with no problems.

I had a 88 290 for 3 years and 11 months and it never let me down once it was one which Volvo were testing as I had to go into Crossroads every 6 months for them to check things out and they would not tell me what it was but it went like the wind and would keep up with 140s on hills like windy hill on the 62 and it was very good on fuel 8mph in the late 70s and early 80s I have never had a Scania only for odd days or odd trips and I always preferred the 88 but I think they were both good wagons and it came down to personal choice.

I think alot of the success of the Volvos in the early days is down to the dealers as they literally bent over backwards for the operators- big or small . Scania dealers tend to be very ‘snobbish’ with a take it or leave it attitude in my experience . I don’t think there is alot between the trucks it’s probably down to personal preference , but compared to the british competition they were years ahead .

boris:
I think alot of the success of the Volvos in the early days is down to the dealers as they literally bent over backwards for the operators- big or small . Scania dealers tend to be very ‘snobbish’ with a take it or leave it attitude in my experience . I don’t think there is alot between the trucks it’s probably down to personal preference , but compared to the british competition they were years ahead .

Hi Boris it was an accumulation of things which opened up for the European manufacturers as company’s had to wait for long delivery times and and some bad workmanship as well as poor designs but when they first came into service the Volvo’s and Scania’s were far superior comfort wise but the Crusader would out pull them all but it was never improved or refined as it could have been a competitor to them.As it had a more powerful engine but the swedes upgraded and produced more powerful engines and more comfortable wagons. When they first came into service in this country their horse power was only on par with what our manufacturers were supplying and they used a different system so this made them sightly less powerful but it was not long for them to get ahead of the game and provide wagons which both gaffers and drivers wanted. The back up service was not that good when they first came over and it did take longer to get this right I would say that DAF was the main instigator of this in the 70s and the others who had been here longer had to pull their fingers out as DAF really got a good foothold into the market with their back up service
cheers Johnnie

My boss has just bought an R reg F88, from an auction somewhere. It’s nice, but I don’t fancy driving it. It used to run Middle East apparently!

bigvern1:
My boss has just bought an R reg F88, from an auction somewhere. It’s nice, but I don’t fancy driving it. It useed to run Middle East apparently!

Any chance of a picture of it?