Volvo F10,F12,F16

gb1:
I bought this F12 Globetrotter from Dawsons in Leighton Buzzard. It was an ex Aston Clinton Haulage unit, and this was its first job after being painted.
Reg No. B413 YWL

Hello gb1…here she is in ACH colours mate. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

kindle530:
I had this F16 when it was getting on a bit,(it wasnt in this condition when i had it.!) and it had a tag axle conversion as well, and speed limiter exempt! It was working for Frans Maas Tilbury when i was behind the wheel, 6 months after getting it the boss got me a brand new N reg 420 CD Globetrotter

This F16 had a identical paint job as Georges Haulage from Winkleigh Devon, there was a rumour that he ordered a F16 then he cancelled it. Do you know the original history of it ?

Big Bear:

kindle530:
I had this F16 when it was getting on a bit,(it wasnt in this condition when i had it.!) and it had a tag axle conversion as well, and speed limiter exempt! It was working for Frans Maas Tilbury when i was behind the wheel, 6 months after getting it the boss got me a brand new N reg 420 CD Globetrotter

This F16 had a identical paint job as Georges Haulage from Winkleigh Devon, there was a rumour that he ordered a F16 then he cancelled it. Do you know the original history of it ?

Fairweathers bought it brand new i know that, and their motors all had that paint job, so i would guess its a coincidedce with regards to Georges. The truck did a lot of work down to Italy, and the firm ran nearly all Volvos. i never heard about it being a cancelled order thou, my dad works with Fairweathers son, if i remember i will ask him to ask, im sure he will know.

bubbleman:

gb1:
I bought this F12 Globetrotter from Dawsons in Leighton Buzzard. It was an ex Aston Clinton Haulage unit, and this was its first job after being painted.
Reg No. B413 YWL

Hello gb1…here she is in ACH colours mate. :laughing:

Cheers Bubbs. :wink:

Bubbs, you’ve done it again!
I’ve searched high and low for a photo of it in ACH colours, and never found one. When I get home i’ll dig out my photo of it in plain white, as bought second-hand from the dealer.

fly sheet:

Look at me with a TIR Carnet, those where the days :laughing:

Fly sheet

G23 ALY was the late Michael Mudie’s truck on Kepstowe IIRC

brookie:
I think the twin headlight F12 Globetrotter is my favourite looking truck of all. I’ve not driven one, so many would beg to differ on it I’m sure! Has anyone still got one? Surely there must be a restored few about, it would be a shame for such a classic truck to dissappear. Any more pics??

Regards,

Mark.

Hi Mark I have only drove a FL 10 and a F10 once but the globetrotter must have been great for the drivers when they first come out. Hope you like the pictures . Tony

brookie:
I think the twin headlight F12 Globetrotter is my favourite looking truck of all. I’ve not driven one, so many would beg to differ on it I’m sure! Has anyone still got one? Surely there must be a restored few about, it would be a shame for such a classic truck to dissappear. Any more pics??

Regards,

Mark.

I agree with that, they just seemed a better truck than the facelift MK2 but as a young tanker driver being given an F10 I had a large appendage :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers Tony for the pics, great stuff! I remember driving an FL10 doing a bit for ASDA at Dartford after being made redundant. Comfy enough and went ok, but definitely short on room! Nothing like the Globetrotter eh?

Wheelnut, I take your word for it on the large appendage!! :wink:

Regards,

Mark.

the first Volvo that I drove

followed by the second tractor unit a 240 F88

and the first F10, a 299 intercooler that ran like the wind.

my F10 with a mates F12

my last F10, a 6 x 2 (midlift)320 that went well and was very good on fuel

my two girls with my late father and my last Volvo, a 4x2 that was crap on fuel untill I had it chipped up a 460

Nice pics Andrew, I like the paintjob on the F88, very smart, colour-coded mirrors too!

Regards,

Mark.

brookie:
Cheers Tony for the pics, great stuff! I remember driving an FL10 doing a bit for ASDA at Dartford after being made redundant. Comfy enough and went ok, but definitely short on room! Nothing like the Globetrotter eh?

Wheelnut, I take your word for it on the large appendage!! :wink:

Regards,

Mark.

No problem Mark when i get into the attic I will fry and find more stuff . Tony

kindle530:

now THAT is a proper gobstopper - anyone know if the firm are still around please?

jj72:

kindle530:

now THAT is a proper gobstopper - anyone know if the firm are still around please?

fullers-haulage.co.uk/

I reckon that could be them since the continental livestock dried up.

revman:
me & my dad-alan

Hi Alan I reckon our paths must have crossed as I worked for Syd Woods for about 9 months up to him calling it a day and I was on the billets from Templeborough to Thyburgh bar mill and the 11" mill about 8 loads a day with Pete on Truswells for around 6 months and we were some times in the way of your big wagons I cannot remember the name of the main mill on the corner before the lights at the bridge but one of the foreman/charge hand was called Tim and he was in the office at Pickfords in the late 60s early 70s and 20 years later he recognised me straight away but he had to tell me who he was even then and things have only got worse.
cheers Johnnie

seen an f10 today parked up on a j plate will post the pic up later it was still working was taxed and had an o licence in :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
fullers-haulage.co.uk/

reckon it may be malc, was too idle to google them :blush: they move upto 200tonne eh? on 8 x 40’ flats maybe :unamused:

I’ve got a few pics lurking around somewhere in the loft, trouble is my loft is 5000 miles away so you’ll have to make do with my memories :laughing:

I’ve owned or driven all of the F10/12/16 range from the flat tops with the splitter on the dash to the last of the line with the swoopy dash & cruise control, all of them were dependable motors, the F10s weren’t the fastest motor on the road, but were comfy, the F12s, especially the 400s were really good motors & a Globetrotter was something else, they didn’t like a long hill though, they pulled well enough, but got very hot towards the top, the pull after crossing the Rhone at Lyon was one that always had the buzzer going! The F16 was awesome though, it pulled like a train, it liked a drop of diesel though & it was easy to get it down into the 4s, with that in mind I had a limiter fitted before they became law, at 60mph they weren’t that bad, but it would do over a ton, or so I’m told :wink: so it was quite easy to burn through a tank, mind you at 36ppl I was known to run on the hand throttle from time to time (this would overide the speed limiter) especially on a Friday night :laughing:

jj72:

Wheel Nut:
fullers-haulage.co.uk/

reckon it may be malc, was too idle to google them :blush: they move upto 200tonne eh? on 8 x 40’ flats maybe :unamused:

Google also turned this up, so not sure if they are still around in that present form.

A WEST Norfolk haulier has appealed against a decision by a Government traffic commissioner to revoke his vehicle operator’s licence at the end of June.

The Traffic Commissioner for the Eastern Traffic Area made the decision against John Edward Fuller of North Runcton, following a public inquiry at Cambridge. Mr Philip Brown ruled that the company, Fuller’s Haulage and Storage of King’s Lynn, allowed his drivers to disregard the hours and tachograph rules without taking any action.

The revocation will now not take place pending an appeal hearing by an independent body, the Transport Tribunal, which is due to take place in London within the next four to six weeks.

The inquiry heard John Fuller and his son, Mark, blame three Polish drivers employed by the company for breaching the rules covering driving hours and rest periods. The company, which trades from Manor Farm, Common Lane, North Runcton, is licensed for 15 vehicles and 20 trailers.

A report of the inquiry in the weekly trade magazine, Commercial Motor, said traffic commissioner Philip Brown described Mr Fuller’s failings “as a very serious threat to road safety”.

The report said Richard Mutimer, a traffic examiner for the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) told the inquiry he had analysed drivers’ records for eight vehicles covering a sample period. Mark Fuller said when he examined the records there would generally be some serious offences that had been mainly committed by Polish drivers.

The most serious offences included 26 cases of driving for more than 41/2 hours without taking the correct breaks; ten of exceeding the daily drive limit; 23 of taking insufficient daily rest; and four of taking insufficient weekly rest.

Mr Mutimer said Polish drivers “didn’t have a clue” with regard to drivers’ hours and records and their offences had a potentially serious impact on road safety.

Mark Fuller said three Polish drivers had been sacked. It appeared that once job tickets had been handed out to them, the drivers were dividing the work among themselves. He accepted that neither he nor his father had exercised sufficient management control over those drivers.

John Fuller said he delegated the paperwork and drivers’ hours and tachograph matters to his son.

A VOSA spokesman said the inquiry was originally convened on December 13 last year before Mr Brown, who was acting as a deputy traffic commissioner for the eastern area. It was adjourned to allow VOSA to re-visit the operator and conduct a further investigation and reconvened in Cambridge on February 9. After hearing evidence from VOSA and the operator, Mr Brown referred his decision in writing.

Traffic commissioners are appointed by the Secretary of State for Transport to licence and monitor the fitness of individuals or companies to operate goods vehicles, buses and coaches.

Mr Mark Fuller told the Lynn News an appeal had been lodged but declined to comment further.

My old F10 “Lady Mandy” she was a great truck, a 299 intercooler,and would it used to fly, I often wonder what happened to her and I would love to buy her back if she still survives.