Village idiot stands in front of truck

Sounds to me like the driver was in the wrong and shouldn’t have been using that bridge. Why shouldn’t a pedestrian challenge him?

An artic with empty trailer, even a fridge, would weigh in at 17Tons so why shouldnt he use th ebridge? The ■■■ head PEDESTRIAN would have got run over if it were me, simple as or infact for more of a comical bit of fun I would have chucked the ■■■■■■ over the bridge.

i’ve just added my comment. :laughing:

I get it all the time… ‘what the ■■■■ are you doing bringing that thing down a little road like this’. ‘there’s a weight restriction on this road’…yeah, and my farm is on this road, do one!

scottishcruiser:
An artic with empty trailer, even a fridge, would weigh in at 17Tons so why shouldnt he use th ebridge?

I’m pretty sure the sign there is an 18 tonne maximum gross weight sign so unless he was driving a vehicle with at most a MGV of 18t that would be why he shouldn’t use it. Very few artics are able to legally cross the bridge, likely the only ones who could would be the mini artics. If the truck was an artic then I don’t blame the local for getting irate.

I have posted elsewhere about my own piece of nimbyism. Swarkestone Bridge and Causeway have a 7.5 tonne limit, the damage to this bridge is getting a bit repetitive, it is our only viable route from our little village. The signs are there for a reason, to protect the 14th century monument.

There is simply no excuse for the Morrisons artic to come off at Chellaston to go to Swadlincote or the Tesco Artic to take a “short cut” to Ashby. Farm vehicles and trucks delivering to the 3 local garden centres are more than welcome.

swarkestone-derby.co.uk/

wouldnt it be great if members of trucknet signed up at the bottom of the story in the link,like a couple of us already have,and left our comments in the “have your say” bit.quite an influx of opinion may let the public know what we think?.

have been using that bit of road just recently to get to trowbridge its awful even in a van so i doubt he was going that way on purpose sat nav again me thinks,also pedestrians seem to think they are invincible in that area and the bus drivers just block the road instead of pulling into layby provided very proffessional not!!

while not condoning what the village muppet done the fact is bradford on avon is a very narrow place to go through. there are big signs up either side of the town. if you come from bath about three miles out there is a diversion around the town with big signs warning hgv’s about the weight limit on the bridge.if you come from the trowbridge side same again big signs warning you so no excuse really. so unless the driver has a delivery in the town there are other options. :confused:

C-Kay:
I get it all the time… ‘what the [zb] are you doing bringing that thing down a little road like this’. ‘there’s a weight restriction on this road’…!

My fave retort to this is with a smile,
‘‘Well yer better get used to it, cause trucks ain’t gonna get any smaller’’ :grimacing:

Well if he stood in front of me he would have just become the largest thing squished onto the front along with all the other buzzing and annoying things that tend to get smashed on the front of a truck.

sorry for being a thick newbie. but from what some you have said in previous posts got me thinking… so if my unladen lorry weighs say 7 tons does that mean i can drive through 7.5 t weight limits without worrying about getting caught? :blush:

joedwyer1:
sorry for being a thick newbie. but from what some you have said in previous posts got me thinking… so if my unladen lorry weighs say 7 tons does that mean i can drive through 7.5 t weight limits without worrying about getting caught? :blush:

No, and neither can you drive over a bridge with an 18tonne MGW sign in an artic or an 8 wheeler, regardless of the unladen weight, unless the sign says, “Except for Unladen Vehicles” or except for loading etc

thats what i thought :frowning:

joedwyer1:

Usually no but it depends on the type of sign.

This means no vehicles with a maximum gross vehicle weight of over 7.5 tonnes.

This means no vehicles weighing over 7.5 tonnes (current gross weight).

scottishcruiser:
An artic with empty trailer, even a fridge, would weigh in at 17Tons so why shouldnt he use th ebridge? The ■■■ head PEDESTRIAN would have got run over if it were me, simple as or infact for more of a comical bit of fun I would have chucked the [zb] over the bridge.

Because the posted sign states the Maximum Gross weight, if a vehicles carrying capacity exceeds the posted weight then he’s not permitted to cross the bridge regardless of whether he is empty or not.

THe guy was 100% correct in doing what he thought was right…Never been through the area myself…but drivers should learn to read signs…(sat nav or no sat nav)…and obey and them…and respect the people who live in these towns…Cos they don’t like when people travelling through where they live take the ■■■■…

Too many drivers only care about themselves and believe the roads are only meant for them…The driver was a prick , and by the sounds of the language used not a foreigner

The problem with some of the comments here is that no-one seems certain that the weight limit is in fact a maximum gross weight limit but it’s being assumed that it is.
If the vehicle was overweight for the bridge then of course the driver was at fault and deserves to be penalised, but it’s interesting to note that no mention of a penalty was mentioned in the article even though the police were interviewed.

tachograph:
The problem with some of the comments here is that no-one seems certain that the weight limit is in fact a maximum gross weight limit but it’s being assumed that it is.
If the vehicle was overweight for the bridge then of course the driver was at fault and deserves to be penalised, but it’s interesting to note that no mention of a penalty was mentioned in the article even though the police were interviewed.

looks like mgw to me :wink: 17.5 tonnes with a red circle round it

www2.wiltshire.gov.uk/transport/ … reight.htm

I find it very odd that on one thread we have a great deal of sympathy for a driver who was (through no fault of his own) involved in a fatal accident; while on this (and other) threads people say that they would casually murder a man who tries to stop them from breaking the law.