Vehicle checks

Terry T:
Just sit in the canteen for 15 mins, put your card in, put 15 mins of other work in your manual entries and drive off without checking the vehicle.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: is that while having a cuppa in the canteen terry. :grimacing:

Joke

My company say 20 minutes other work. Apparantly VOSA will do you if you donā€™t record this much :unamused: :unamused:

All overkill, just companies covering their backs.

rob22888:
My company say 20 minutes other work. Apparantly VOSA will do you if you donā€™t record this much :unamused: :unamused:

Cheers rob. :smiley:

Most places I have worked want you to show 10-15 mins for your daily walk round. I think thats about right if itā€™s your regular vehicle.

Vosa can not do you as there is nothing in writing to say how many minutes to carry out a check.In their training Dvd it shows the Vosa man doing a quick walk around visual check then puts in the tacho to start work for the purpose of the video.

10 to 15 mins is more than ample, VOSA are not expecting A full MOT FFS!

I just check the fluids, fire her up and check the dash and cab, then lights, tyres, mudguards ETCā€¦

the last 5 is usually spent filling in the defect sheet!

quick brake check as i set off, then away we go!

Bā€¦

@toby cheers mate for reply.

@bungle666 I realise you donā€™t need to do an mot mate. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Iā€™ll make sure everything gets checked properly.cheers. :grimacing: :grimacing: :smiley:

When a VOSA man tells you it should be up to half an hour just tell him you just didnt have time to climb into the sump pan and check the mains and big ends for wear this morning.

How long does it take to check a set of bloody lights ,tyres and mud flaps for christ sake.

The truck checks the oil,coolant,washer fluid itself.

Same old crap some dik in a suit makes up the ā€œrulesā€
He knows nothing about trucks but we still have to listen to his bull.
Nothing ever changes just gets bloody worse.

Bking:
ā€˜ā€¦ just gets bloody worseā€¦ā€™

Yep.

Just about on-thread, but itā€™s emerging this week that my lot now expect us to ring the client ahead of arriving for a tip.

Itā€™ll mean that a pre-use check will have to include pre-programming the phone :open_mouth: - or do it on the hoof :frowning:

(Thatā€™ll doubtless impress VOSA :wink: )

So, instead of podging a button twice when on approach to get through to our clerk on the [sic] ā€˜hands-freeā€™, weā€™re to find time to scroll through a mega-list and be a polite telephonist to the customer.

Oh, and drive a sluggish 45"+ combination amongst psychopathic lorry-haters too.

What could possibly go wrong :question:

Bking:
How long does it take to check a set of bloody lights ,tyres and mud flaps for christ sake.

The truck checks the oil,coolant,washer fluid itself.

Donā€™t forget a pap of the horn :grimacing:

I know someone who got a VOSA check, and was question why they hadnt logged time to do a walk around check first thing, the answer was from the driver is I constantly montior my vehicle, at every tip and load I look over the whole vehicle , I know my tyres are fine because I looked them over when I backed on the bay earlier, I know my lights work because I have sophisticated electronics to tell me, I know my vehicle inside out, because I continually monitor it , my morning walk around check takes less than a minute and is only to make sure the vehicle hasnā€™t been tampered with over night. I actually check my vehicle more than a 15 minute show on the chart first thing when I could actualy be drinking tea in the canteen

Mr VOSA man was more than happy with that - so it is a fallacy that you have to show time on the chart for morning checks- all you have to show is that you are aware of the vehicles condition at any point

Rikki-UK:
I know someone who got a VOSA check, and was question why they hadnt logged time to do a walk around check first thing, the answer was from the driver is I constantly montior my vehicle, at every tip and load I look over the whole vehicle , I know my tyres are fine because I looked them over when I backed on the bay earlier, I know my lights work because I have sophisticated electronics to tell me, I know my vehicle inside out, because I continually monitor it , my morning walk around check takes less than a minute and is only to make sure the vehicle hasnā€™t been tampered with over night. I actually check my vehicle more than a 15 minute show on the chart first thing when I could actualy be drinking tea in the canteen

Mr VOSA man was more than happy with that - so it is a fallacy that you have to show time on the chart for morning checks- all you have to show is that you are aware of the vehicles condition at any point

At last! Someone who does it the same way as me. Always done it this way and always will. I found a fault with a trailer earlier today whilst tipping, that I couldnā€™t have found with the curtains closed. It pays to keep checking throughout the trip.

Terry T:
ā€˜ā€¦Donā€™t forget a pap of the hornā€¦ā€™

With the possible bonus of starting-up a yard ā€˜orchestraā€™ in surround-sound too :smiley: :smiley:

rob22888:

No they wonā€™t been pulled twice this year never show more than 5 mins at the start of a shift and not a problem to them at all

Can you get a fine for no water or wash fluid in the windscreen wash bottle.Does anyone check if the trailer has a M.o.t ir a valid one.?

toby1234abc:
Can you get a fine for no water or wash fluid in the windscreen wash bottle.Does anyone check if the trailer has a M.o.t ir a valid one.?

They will if in the mood check your wash & wipe works, trailer does of course need valid mot.

toby1234abc:

Yes you can, and yes i checked every trailer.

When I was on Rigids, I would get to the truck, put my stuff in tacho etc.
Check oil, coolant and screen wash.
Then back in the cab start it up, lights on and hazards on, before jumping out press brake pedal and look in mirrors for reflection on other truck/wall. Then get phone out for torch and starting at drivers door walk round checking treads, wheel nuts, marker lights, mud guards, spray suppression, side under run bars. Open back doors check load and that there are spare straps for any collections, I check lights on the back and repeat all down other side get to front and check all front lights and screen for cracks and chips. Get back in the cab and look at dials check air has built up fully and that the tank is reading full and ad blue is full. Takes me about 15 mins if there is no problems. If I night out I do a quicker by doing more of a glance than a proper check but Iā€™m still confident if I get pulled that I have done my job properly.

One ex boss did not tell me the garage had taken off all the tractor unit wheels.I got from Wakefield to Cambridge servies and the wheel nuts on the rear axles shot off as i turned.Expensive call out for new parts and repairs.