Use of headlights

mrpj:
What if the road has streetlights but has a limit over 30mph? The way this reads suggests you wouldn’t need headlights on these roads as well :confused:

I was tempted to post about the definition of a ‘Restricted Road’ but, thinking back to the days when trucks ran on dynamos, as opposed to alternators, then it was quite common, even on Motorways, for truck drivers to switch off their headlights when entering a ‘lit’ stretch.

In those days, Emergency vehicles with VHF radios had ‘valve’ sets and had to be plugged into a battery charger for 8 hours out of every 24. How far we have progressed. :open_mouth:

On the subject of ‘dim-dip’ this was invariably achieved by placing a resistor in series with the bulb element. A resistor = heat. Heat, in the wrong place, causes fire.

Heat, whether in the form of a resistance, or as a light source, requires ‘energy’ which, in the case of a vehicle, equates to fuel. Whilst it might only be in the terms of a ‘cupful a fortnight’, it is still an Operating cost.

As for ‘daylight running lights’, as in the case of Volvo cars, I’ve more than once perceived a headlamp flash, to then relaise that the vehicle has hit a bump in the road surface.

Grrrr

orys:
In other languages these are just “one-side parking lights” and normal parking lights are just normal parking lights. Off course I will not teach you how to call you in english, but I am not suprised, that you must have everything made your own way :wink:

Next up is the difference between a kiosk and a booth… :laughing: :wink:

macplaxton:
Change would be one step closer to DRLs. I don’t want some nanny state insisting that all new cars and motorcycles have DRLs. (*DRLs = another EU crackpot idea)

Well watch this space… a new car near you in the very near future!

Rog & Driveroneuk, I did mention those dim-dip things in passing and the reason you don’t often get them much anymore is HERE

good wiki page that thanks.
I’m definately still a big dim dip fan. The EC or whoever can go take a hike. Dipped headlights do give a LOT of glare on wet roads with sodium street lighting in built up areas at night.
(Maybe not as noticeable when you’re sat up there in a truck, but definately so in a car).