URTU opinions?

dozy:
Your calling the likes of me rob who was there in the 70,s / 80,s when those unions you can’t speak highly enough we’re running riot , strikes / walkouts every bloody week
I don’t need you or any one else to tell me what unions are about as I’ve seen it with my own eyes ,
As for if we all stocked together , I saw a workforce who were sick to the back teeth of strikes stick together , they voted to a man not to strike , the union shop stewards said it was a unanimous vote to strike , those [zb] only cared about them selfies , whenever there was layoffs not one of them was ever laid off , amazing as those [zb] never started there machines up , just sat there all night looking to cause trouble
As I say you might brain wash these kids on here about unions , but never me , my hatred for them [zb] will never abate

Hmmm…I grew up in the 70s too.
I generally dislike unions for the examples you give.

So I became a Union rep…I don’t care about what the Union does outside the gate. But the lads stand together as a union in their own best interests

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

dozy:
Your calling the likes of me rob who was there in the 70,s / 80,s when those unions you can’t speak highly enough we’re running riot , strikes / walkouts every bloody week
I don’t need you or any one else to tell me what unions are about as I’ve seen it with my own eyes ,
As for if we all stocked together , I saw a workforce who were sick to the back teeth of strikes stick together , they voted to a man not to strike , the union shop stewards said it was a unanimous vote to strike , those [zb] only cared about them selfies

The unfortunate fact amongst it all, was that when the working class was better unionised, then pay on the whole was better, jobs more secure, and conditions more dignified. Amongst all the conflict you bemoan, huge fruits were shook from the tree for workers.

whenever there was layoffs not one of them was ever laid off , amazing as those [zb] never started there machines up , just sat there all night looking to cause trouble

How does that differ from senior management? Do you think they spent most of their day doing something useful, rather than just looking for ways to attack the workforce - either their own, or another firm’s workforce which they seek to undercut? Do you think they get laid off regularly?

robroy:
It ain’t the Unions aim to bring down the Govt, although in history it indurectly has, …it is a bit of a daft thing to say. :unamused:
And wtf has your last paragraph to do with the price of fish exactly? :neutral_face:

The main aim of a union is to gain better conditions for workers and to step in when a firm is taking the ■■■■.
A simplified view but nevertheless accurate…[zb] all to do with ''bringing down governments you’ve been listening to too much anti Union propaganda b/s mate. :unamused:

So you’d be against any strike action directed at the government when that government has made a stated aim and implemented a policy of taking away your job or imposing wage limits below the rate of inflation.( Miners’ strike and Unions v Callaghan administration respectively ).

Ironically in this case that would/should also mean strike action by truck drivers against the plan for rail.But that doesn’t suit the union agenda which has historically chucked truck drivers under the train.
The government has never been the friend of the working class or the road transport industry and unions are too easily corrupted and diverted by their own political aims.

Rjan:
How does that differ from senior management? Do you think they spent most of their day doing something useful, rather than just looking for ways to attack the workforce - either their own, or another firm’s workforce which they seek to undercut? Do you think they get laid off regularly?

The same senior management which had/have the government working for their interests.
The same government which uses inflation as a weapon to wipe out gains in income.
Which then applies a below inflation wage control regime as part of that.
Which shouts about competitiveness and productivety which actually just means undercutting wages and wanting more work done for the same wage.
If a union isn’t getting into conflict with the government sometimes if not often then it isn’t doing its job.
Instead of which the government has convinced the working class that the government is working for their interests and it’s militant to argue.
I was actually working in an affected industry and supported the justified militant actions against the government in the 1970’s.
Also with the sympathy of our own management.
Wage controls being imposed to fix oil price led inflation in an energy self sufficient economy.They couldn’t make it up.
Followed by the working class then turning against itself by allowing the Thatcher regime to finish the job that Callaghan started.
To the point where unions eventually became part of the problem not the solution.
Based on the oxymoron contained in Robroy’s idea of a non militant union.
The fact is solidarity means nothing without militancy being there to back it.The rest is history.

dozy:
As for if we all stocked together , I saw a workforce who were sick to the back teeth of strikes stick together , they voted to a man not to strike , the union shop stewards said it was a unanimous vote to strike , those [zb] only cared about them selfies , whenever there was layoffs not one of them was ever laid off , amazing as those [zb] never started there machines up , just sat there all night looking to cause trouble
As I say you might brain wash these kids on here about unions , but never me , my hatred for them [zb] will never abate

I ain’t ‘‘calling’’ anybody doze,.I’m just giving my take and opinions on Unions in general, and the unprofessional way I was dealt with by the URTU…
You know what mate?..I was also there in the 70s, working for GEC as an apprentice, I also saw all the negative ott stuff that went on, but on the plus side there was no zero hours contracts, no ‘‘fire and re.hire’’ dog ■■■■, no abuse of the workforce because the AEUW did not allow it, because the workforce were as one.

I don’t give a rats ■■■ what the guys in the higher echelons of the unions get up to,.as long as at grass roots level we had a decent work life, because you can sure as hell bet the senior management will have similar scams going and a lot more perks,.while their workers are at the bottom of the pile taking all the crap.