Update on life on the bus (with pics)

Love it - I also doing the same but on a smaller scale as I simply don’t need all the room :smiley:

Mine is based on a Mercedes Vario LWB bus :smiley:

Mick

I’ve been toying with the idea of doing somthing similar, but using something along these lines as a base as all of the core bits are there already…

ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-B12-Van … 4ab4e9282f

The idea originally came from when I was looking for a motorhome - a decent one with air-con and other home comforts based on something like a Fiat Ducato or Transit is going to be a similar sort of price but without the room to swing a cat in.

Very nice… IF you have the budget. Suspect Marlow’s will be very nice when finished and could have a paint job like that and still come in at much less than half the money.

Think I’d have found a way of getting cooled air delivered without that monstrous a/c unit stuck there. (in last pic).

Old mobile libraries make a good base as they usually have auxillary heating/cooling etc. built in.

I dont see a tele this is a problem for me.

That particular one is a bit pricey and too many bunks for what I have planned, and also too good for me to start chopping up to make double bedrooms and shower rooms. But it would be something along those lines I would be looking for eventually.

As for the cost of it, I’ll grant you it’s not cheap, but it would still be no more than buying one of those caravans stuck on a van chassis, and would be a lot more comfortable to live in. Only downside I can see from my persepctive would be its thirst for diesel.

Admittedly you would have trouble getting it into a caravan park, but thats not in my plans anyway.

Gogan:
I’ve been toying with the idea of doing somthing similar, but using something along these lines as a base as all of the core bits are there already…

ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-B12-Van … 4ab4e9282f

The idea originally came from when I was looking for a motorhome - a decent one with air-con and other home comforts based on something like a Fiat Ducato or Transit is going to be a similar sort of price but without the room to swing a cat in.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Hospitality-c … 0056170981

Prefer that

But, when I was away, I saw a 5th wheel style caravan with extending side etc, he told me they were around 30k brand new, bloody stunning inside.

Driveroneuk:
Very nice… IF you have the budget. Suspect Marlow’s will be very nice when finished and could have a paint job like that and still come in at much less than half the money.

Think I’d have found a way of getting cooled air delivered without that monstrous a/c unit stuck there. (in last pic).

Old mobile libraries make a good base as they usually have auxillary heating/cooling etc. built in.

I had a fridge under the bed with a drum Water.
A Windscreen washer-Pump pumped the cooled Water
in a Car-Radiator with fan in front of the Bed.
Had a Fridge which could have warmed,but didn’t used it.
Build my own Room heater from Parts i found on a Scrap Yard.
Had to improvice as i hadnt a Computer
for it but worked very well. There was just no one else who could run it :slight_smile:

Now,that has just one Downside.
When you retire you couldn’t travel all over Europe as in America you
could go in Winter down South and in Summer up North,
as Ferry would eat most of your Pension you get in a Year,if you would do such.

Thanks for the interest. To be honest Mick I don’t know how you can get anything that will live independently for 6 weeks at a time. And if it won’t do that then you are relaying on campsites unless you live at the back of the yard…

Gogan, I have seen the 4 meter high double decker coach and the main problem is the height of the decks. If you strip that multi sleeper room out what can you use it for? Its only 5’ high.

Right back to it ive fit a turd tank today, and I want to fibreglass shower up tonight.

marlow:
Thanks for the interest. To be honest Mick I don’t know how you can get anything that will live independently for 6 weeks at a time. And if it won’t do that then you are relaying on campsites unless you live at the back of the yard…

I will tend to be thinking of living off the land on self sufficent live :wink:

You might find more help on a place like expedition portal in their full timers section! You’ve already done grand work there anyway! :smiley:

Great Work on the bus,

Keep us uptodate Marlow!!

Yes, fantastic stuff, if I could find somewhere to park it I would live on a converted double-decker bus tomorrow.

I will pop down and visit sometime if I’m passing. :smiley:

Not sure if I’ve already replied to you but I’m currently doing a puddle jumper conversion, link is in my sig.

Not quite as big flash as those Vanhools on Ebay, maybe one day when I’ve got more licence categories I’ll get something a bit bigger. :grimacing:

marlow:
Thought about solar and when I time to get my head round it all I should have them in place. The main problem is that lesuire systems are expensive and low watts (x80) where as domestic solar runs on 500 watt panels @ 12v then invert it back to the grid. Thing is anyone who offers solar for houses work off payback from the grid.

One correction - domestic systems use panels that generate around 250 W each, not 500 W.

You’d find it difficult to get enough power out of a solar PV system (one that generates electricity directly from sunlight) to heat any significant amount of water. Plus, I’d also worry about the durability of domestic panels - they’re designed to sit on top of a static house, not a moving bus. The shock and vibration generated by bumps, potholes, etc. would probably crack the panel(s) and render them useless.

If you’re after hot water, you’d be much better off going solar thermal, as they’re much more efficient, and much cheaper per watt of output. A small solar PV panel could then be used to run a 12 V circulation pump. In its simplest form, a solar thermal panel could just be a standard single-panel domestic radiator with the convector fins removed, painted black and mounted underneath a glass screen (to keep the heat in).

WOW, it’s certainly coming along nicely.
How much have you spent on it so far?