Up to date maritime subbie pay?

nsmith1180:
All I pay for is tyres, glass insurance and fuel.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Thanks for getting back to me smithy… I notice you’ve been looking for trucks etc… if you ignore what the hire dept are trying to give you, do you know that non-new trucks will be less £ than the new ones? So for example… the 64 plate your in now… I’m guessing it was probably returned from another hirer before the normal three year … would likely have been nearer £330 a week if you hadn’t av been a new operator.
So if you phone enough scainia dealers, and independent (Q2, close brothers) you will find a 520 or whatever you settled on having been returned earlier than the three year term and more than likely get it cheaper than your paying now or negotiate something extra like tyres. Hope that helps.

Mattwoodtransport:

nsmith1180:
All I pay for is tyres, glass insurance and fuel.

Thanks for getting back to me smithy… I notice you’ve been looking for trucks etc… if you ignore what the hire dept are trying to give you, do you know that non-new trucks will be less £ than the new ones? So for example… the 64 plate your in now… I’m guessing it was probably returned from another hirer before the normal three year … would likely have been nearer £330 a week if you hadn’t av been a new operator.
So if you phone enough scainia dealers, and independent (Q2, close brothers) you will find a 520 or whatever you settled on having been returned earlier than the three year term and more than likely get it cheaper than your paying now or negotiate something extra like tyres. Hope that helps.

That would help if the old r series didn’t ■■■■■■■ me in weeks.

A used range t 14 plate rent to buy with r&m would be 3k up front and 36 months at 360. So knock off a hundred a week for r&m plus profit and you are looking at a 75k new truck for about 45k at 3 ish years old.

Smithy, what do you reckon your total outgoings are for complete running costs + wage is over a six month period? Including any extra insurances/repairs.

21.5k over 13 weeks to date.

Just pm’d you mate

Just having a nosy at this thread and by my rough maths it would seem that £1600 a week on expenditure vs average income would leave you with a £600ish gross per week.

Forgive me for sounding a tad green, but is it worth all the hassle of being an O/D when you can get that as a wage and not give a toss about tyres shredding or a fuel pump going? :confused:

eagerbeaver:
Just having a nosy at this thread and by my rough maths it would seem that £1600 a week on expenditure vs average income would leave you with a £600ish gross per week.

Forgive me for sounding a tad green, but is it worth all the hassle of being an O/D when you can get that as a wage and not give a toss about tyres shredding or a fuel pump going? :confused:

The unit is leased beaver so the op wouldn’t pay for a fuel pump .

Although beaver you have a point ,at £2200 a week I’d be asking Harry monk if he’s a spare room on the boat :laughing:

Punchy Dan:
Although beaver you have a point ,at £2200 a week I’d be asking Harry monk if he’s a spare room on the boat :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: You hear a lot about the pitfalls of being an O/D Dan but seldom hear positives :neutral_face: I suppose that’s the preserve of the truck driver to moan, but the ’ romance ’ as such of being an owner driver does definitely have an allure to it.

I would love to have a crack at it in the ideal world, however I lack the diplomacy and tact to be able to handle liars and idiot’s, and have enough trouble holding down a job driving other peoples motors, let alone mine :grimacing:

Arse kissing is another area that I cannot abide either…

I can’t get my head around the figures being worth the hassle/stress either!!!

Even in NI now we’re seeing the driver shortage bite and the likes of dayshift work on £100shift/ £500home/week.

Looked at an advert just put this week looking drivers for nightshift store delivery work outta Larne port.
6pm start approx 3am finish Sun/Thur £160gross shift.

Not a single O/D about here could take that in drawn wages net of tax!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

To me going O/D isn’t about take home pay. As long as my bills are paid I’m happy.

To me it’s about much more, as a driver on 120ish per day you take home is around 30k per year, you walk into a bank and ask for a loan because you want to pay for your kids university fees they will laugh you out of town.

You go in as a limited company director who’s company pulls in 50k gross plus and they might still snigger at you but there’s a much better chance you can set your kid up for life. I see so many people talk about how “you could drive new nice trucks for someone else” or you could earn 2500 a month for someone else with no stress, Yes… of course you can, but just because you earn the same as an O/D and half the amount of stress on your plate does not in any way mean you are better off.

To me going O/D isn’t about take home pay. As long as my bills are paid I’m happy.

The above line is why so many rates are so poor and the likes of maritime and all the other back of the truck mags keep finding victims to run round for buttons.

Hinton:

To me it’s about much more, as a driver on 120ish per day you take home is around 30k per year, you walk into a bank and ask for a loan because you want to pay for your kids university fees they will laugh you out of town.

You go in as a limited company director who’s company pulls in 50k gross plus and they might still snigger at you but there’s a much better chance you can set your kid up for life. I see so many people talk about how “you could drive new nice trucks for someone else” or you could earn 2500 a month for someone else with no stress, Yes… of course you can, but just because you earn the same as an O/D and half the amount of stress on your plate does not in any way mean you are better off.

Your saying 2 different things here ,first you say as long as my bills are paid iam happy ,the next you want 50k per yr and to pay for university?

And it was his mate who was buying the lorry first.

eagerbeaver:

That 21.5k also includes the first 1k of my salary a month eagerbeaver. So at 600 a week profit, if I was happy to sit at one, I could in theory take home £2954 a month or £35488 a year after tax and NI.

I can think of many a driver who would love to take home 30k net of tax.

Hinton:

What about £2800 holiday pay an av PAYE drivers gets per yr That an O/D doesn’t!!!

Big Truck:

Hinton:

What about £2800 holiday pay an av PAYE drivers gets per yr That an O/D doesn’t!!!

Pension, sick pay, no risk…

albion:

Big Truck:

Hinton:

Pension, sick pay, no risk…

You know the craic Albion!!![emoji106]

nsmith1180:

eagerbeaver:

That 21.5k also includes the first 1k of my salary a month eagerbeaver. So at 600 a week profit, if I was happy to sit at one, I could in theory take home £2954 a month or £35488 a year after tax and NI.

I can think of many a driver who would love to take home 30k net of tax.

And of course the paye driver doesn’t have his phone, car, insurance etc etc ‘paid for’ … and the list goes on. I put my three weeks in Isle of Man this year through the books, I was of course ‘scoping’ for work… but it was mighty inconvenient that the TT races happened to be on at the same time… all those bands on and road closures… it’s no wonder I didn’t land a single scrap of work… I think I even went to Spain on business this year… I had to miss my mates stag do that also happened to be in Spain on the same weekend… who would’ve thought it?

Holidays? What are those :open_mouth: :laughing: