Unauthorised Passengers

Santa:
Wasn’t it the Renault Premium that had a funny shaped cushion to make the bunk into a seat? No belt for that either.

Volvo’s with the office/kitchen pack had the bottom bunk that converted to seats and they had belts.

gnasty gnome:
I might stand corrected on this, but I don’t think a bunk is classified in law as a seat.

So it won’t need a seat belt then if it’s not a seat. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

gnasty gnome:
Neil, might be something to do with the fact that rear seating in motor-homes isn’t forward-facing?

Could be. I tend to lie on the bunk facing the back of the cab anyway so that’ll be okay then. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

One night a couple of weeks ago on the M6 I was climbing out of the bunk back into the passenger seat just as we were overtaking a cop car, I didn’t see him when I started to climb out of the bunk. The driver looked up and saw what I was doing but it didn’t appear to concern him in anyway. I nodded at him, while muttering some abuse, and he returned the nod, not sure if he was giving me abuse back.

So where would he stand if a; he has been told that he cannot carry any passengers (company policy) and b; one of his passengers (wife/child??) had died in the crash? And what if the wife/child was not actually his? I seem to remember being told years ago that the only way they can stop you carrying passengers was to take the passenger seat out

Stopped at Tibshelf services on the M1 last week. Was approached by a bloke and a tidy little blonde with a “Charity Hitch Hike” sign and they asked if I could take them further south. I was in a sleeper cab but said to the bloke I only have one seat and only she could come join me. They declined… :neutral_face:

The days of getting to the security hut and hiding behind the bunk curtain pretending you’re not there are long gone. :laughing:

pete904ni:

Coffeeholic:
You don’t needs belts in the rear seating … of a motorhome

You only need belts in front facing seats, side facing seats are illegal for travelling, rear facing fitted seats are ok to be used provided they meet the regulations on orientation.

belt.JPG

side.JPG

Has anyone bothered to inform the truck manufacturers not to bother installing a passenger seat because drivers can be sent to prison for 23456 years and have a £12 fine for carrying a passenger?

bubsy06:
Has anyone bothered to inform the truck manufacturers not to bother installing a passenger seat because drivers can be sent to prison for 23456 years and have a £12 fine for carrying a passenger?

No because it is illegal to remove the top off a steel flask within 38 centimetres of an indicator stalk, unless you are facing East

Wheel Nut:

bubsy06:

No because it is illegal to remove the top off a steel flask within 38 centimetres of an indicator stalk, unless you are facing East

I saw a notice at Hansons’, Lechlade that passengers under 18 are not allowed in hgvs on their sites; Apparently, they can ride in cars and vans to collect sand and gravel though. Why discriminate against lorry drivers kids? In my experience they’re better behaved; When I was a shovel driver it was very common for the public to let their kids out of the car “to look at the big diggers” as one stupid father put it…
I spent most of my school holidays with Dad in various tippers (and some term time :laughing: ) and even rode in the plant that loaded him…didn’t do me any harm except working for the same firm as him.

My eldest lad went all over with me in school holidays. My youngest asked but I had to say no because no firms allowed passengers and more and more delivery points didn’t want kids on site. So barring him taking up lorry driving, he’ll not get to go in a truck and not in a truck with his dad…

Conor:
My eldest lad went all over with me in school holidays. My youngest asked but I had to say no because no firms allowed passengers and more and more delivery points didn’t want kids on site. So barring him taking up lorry driving, he’ll not get to go in a truck and not in a truck with his dad…

Just hide him ont bunk with a magazine n let him have a waz before you go into places n he’ll be reet :smiley: worked for me