UK British Driver Wages 'V' Canadian Driver Wages

Hi all.I don’t know what weather you lot have so far,[let us know] but here we’ve had a week of bracing -40c with only about 1mtr of snow.In the Southern half of Sweden it’s been quite chaotic :laughing: but up here its ‘life as normal’.Its now quite tropical -20c.Mike

cliffystephens:
cracking idea that . best of all worlds then … PS you got this big snowstorm there yet…

Taken yesterday morning.

to cold for me that want to be nearer to paul john … not much wonder the buggers end up in the ditch…

hutpik:
Hi all.Pat.It’s just the sort of random thought that sometimes goes through the mind but if it is so precarious in the USA would it not be possible[and maybe better]to move to Canada.Would your life be any better.Mike

It would indeed but a few things prevent my moving north of the border !

1. My little girl has Aspurgers syndrome and could not take any change of school.
  2. My Missus is insistant that she is a US citizen and will live in no other country.
  3. It would mean leaving Foodliner and having to actually work for a living.
  4. It would have to be the nearest part of Canada to here due to the relatives and that means Quebec, no trucking company in that province will entertain a driver who can’t spek French.

Hi Pat.I understand the problems.I was not being nosy,but having lived in Canada and driven in the states thought that it would be possible to ''improve ‘’ your quality of life.
Would there not be the equal or better care for your daughter within the Canadian health system.
Surely with your tank experience there must be companies that would ■■■■■■ you up,you’re not far from Ontario and in Canada your wife could feel superior[a sort of missionary] :wink:
I can relate to the thing about Quebec as my wife was Quebecois which was the only reason my Franglish :open_mouth: was tolerated.
Take care with the weather.Mike

Pat Hasler:
4) It would have to be the nearest part of Canada to here due to the relatives and that means Quebec, no trucking company in that province will entertain a driver who can’t spek French.

Just like the rest of Canada, there are plenty of firms in Quebec who will take on absolutely anyone (obviously that says all you need to know about those companies). In the past year or so I’ve seen dozens of Quebec registered trucks in the Flying J in Vaudreuil for example where there have been a few from the same company parked up with drivers standing by the trucks chatting and that ever so familiar sound of loud monotone Slavic sounding talking/shouting bellows from their direction. I’ve also come across at least one British driver who worked for a QC company, I have absolutely no idea how he came to be there but apparently he moved there directly from England. I dont think it’d be that big a problem not speaking French if you just worked there, living there would be entirely different though.

Robin. From my experience most ‘Slavics’ speak french as a second language, or at least all the one’s I have met do.
My wife is adamant that she will never live anywhere other than this area, it took me 4 years of coazing her to move form her home town just 12 miles away to the one we live in now LOL. My wife would gladly lift this house up and move it 12 miles south east of here if she could.
Every Quebecian company I have applied at in the past will not even entertain a non French speaking driver. A friend of mine who worked with me at Tesco was trying to move there a few years back, he was refused due to his lack of the language.
Finally … Any job there worth the while would involve me being away from home a lot more and that would be the end of any worthwhile life and my marriage :frowning:

Pat Hasler:
Robin. From my experience most ‘Slavics’ speak french as a second language, or at least all the one’s I have met do.
My wife is adamant that she will never live anywhere other than this area, it took me 4 years of coazing her to move form her home town just 12 miles away to the one we live in now LOL. My wife would gladly lift this house up and move it 12 miles south east of here if she could.
Every Quebecian company I have applied at in the past will not even entertain a non French speaking driver. A friend of mine who worked with me at Tesco was trying to move there a few years back, he was refused due to his lack of the language.
Finally … Any job there worth the while would involve me being away from home a lot more and that would be the end of any worthwhile life and my marriage :frowning:

Any road, if it comes down to a Quebec vs UK I’m sure I know where I’d be and I suspect its the same place as yourself.

I Iike Quebec, nice architecture, a bit of history and the natives are pure bred unlike the Heinz 57 English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, German, Ukrainian, Scandinavian mongrels that inhabit the rest of the continent :open_mouth:

Best looking women in Canada too :sunglasses:

I don’t mind Queerbec Myself, I like its wierd Frenchness, Its the getting to it from here I don’t like…

fly sheet:
I don’t mind Queerbec Myself, I like its wierd Frenchness, Its the getting to it from here I don’t like…

I can sympathise with that. The 11/17 are amongst my least favourite roads. As for Quebec, I like the place and I enjoy going there. I’d never want to live there however.