Ucc from brentwood

You soon won’t be able to afford me,Bill. :laughing:

Don’t know if i can now mate lol!

Harry, I dont recall any of our drivers on Ucc saying that they had taken Irish beef to the US bases from Waterford, However I stand to be corrected. Our loads usually came over to Liverpool and then over to Rotterdam and an Agent there handled all the paperwork for the camps in Germany. The only time that we went through France, was if the load was going to Rota Spain for the US subs base. With regards to the UCC drivers, I worked for the firm for about 17 years and our men were the best bunch of blokes that you coukd wish to work with, sometimes I think that they would have paid Vestey to let them work there. It has been suggested that we had more fiddlers than the London Philamonic, after all who but a highly skilled Ucc man could get 120 gallons into two 44 gallon tanks. When any two of our oldies get together, you can bet that they will have a good laugh over the antics pf their old workmates. Bill Sparrow,

For any of the UCC oldies, Midge Galbraith passed away last night 13/2/2013 , at 2230hrs. his family will let me know of the funeral arrangements later. R I P Midge. Bill.S.

OMG a real top bloke R.I.P. Midge
Ken

Greetings Bill.Sad news about Midge,he was a likeable chap and as you know we all spent a lot of time together doing Liverpools and change overs etc. R.I.P. Midge. Ted and Dave.

Hi Lads, Thank You Mr Ken for your mail, it solved a mystery. Midge was an excellent bloke to know.I recall taking him out on his first continental trip. I dont know if he ever mentioned the reason for the disbandment of UCC continental operations, but it was to do with the manager at time who had worked for the Vestey empire all over the world, decided to have an open day at Warley and one of our customers was chasing the managers secretary. He was therefor orderred off the premises. Our days were numbered after that.
Sam McAuley and I were sent to Anzio with two lorries loaded with 19ton of frozen peas each and a tacho fitted to Macs truck. The peas were in 1cwt sacks and after arrival at Anzio the same peas were put into half pound bags and reloaded. We drove over hours and when we got back we were told that the two loads had lost £19 each, after that we were starved of work and the end soon followed. Another customer in Stockholm complained to Mac and me, that if he asked for a price on a load, one of our competitors would give him a price. So our work was being given away. Regards Bill,S.

Bill,thanks for the info on the demise of the company.We often wondered how it all came about as it seemed to be an earner when it first started(i.e. Continental) A crying shame as we’ve never met a bunch of blokes,apart from the tea drinkers, as good as the UCC drivers.It was good to go to work in those days. Regards,Ted and Dave. :frowning:

Hi Lads, for anyone thats interested, knowing that some people look in but do not contribute, Midge is being cremated at Basildon and Pitsea crematorium At !! 20 0n 27/02/13. with a wake to follow at the golf club which Midge belonged to. Regards, Bill.S

Thanks for the info bill.You are doing well in keeping us informed.Most grateful.Dave and Ted.

Looking at the photo,it must have been Bills lorry,as it is coupled to the front pin on the trailer,only used on single axle units,but I suppose Bill couldnt see the rear pin,say no more,ha,ha,sorry to hear about Mich,did any body go? Terry

Hi Tel, I went to MIdges funeral and met up with George Curtis.We had agood old chin wag about the old days. Even the vicar said that the UCC drivers knew how to get their dinners by removing the back doors. we were rememberring all those good drivers, so we left you out. Hope your belly is better . Bill.

Its good that you and george went,the last one I went to was filthy Luca,in Wimbledon,I was the only one there from ucc,died in the chair no obvious reason,never got over having to leave ucc.On another point Bill dont you remember showing me how to warm up a lead seal with a cigar lighter,pull it off,take out a hind quarter,sell it for a tenner and put the seal back,ha,ha.They have found some male dna on a welsh lamb. Terry

Spoke to Ray Smith,he said they used Waterord a couple of times,using Ucc,Tautaun meat company and ad forsey.

Tel,we’re glad to see you’re still around and your sense of humour is still there. Re.Filthy Luker,we didn’t know at the time that he had died.It was GBH when we heard,as he was a character and a hard act to follow.He invented nicknames for all the drivers and we can still remember them.Keep looking in Tel,it’s good to hear your quips etc.Best regards from Ted and Dave. :smiley:

FAO the UCC lads.? Mac sent a message to say that he will be over here in April. He sends his Good Wishes to the few of us that are left. Also for that saucy sod Keats, you were not big enough to smoke cigars and I don’t suppose that you have grown any bigger now. That Jan next door to Mac is a 28 year okd stunner, but her oil heater keeps running low, any ideas ?.Bill.

900x20, Hi Dave,I see that you are watching the site, however the Keats is pretty quiet . Whilst on the BRS in 1953 to 56 on night trunking from Tuffnell Park to Sheffield, I occasionally drove an AEC double stick eight wheeler that had originally been made for the African groundnut scheme, did you ever come across one of them?. Bill.

Hello Bill Dave here cant say i had the pleasure to drive such an animal. At the time AEC s were the dangly bits some even had heaters that worked. Ted and myself do look in to see if there is some new topics about. Nice to know we are still chatting. It was one job that it was a pleasure to go to work, you never knew what was going to happen. Keep in touch. Dave.

Hello all,I liked the thames trader with the scamell coupling,when you made a turn with hanging beef,the trailer turned over leaving the cab upright,now all the lot goes over as I found out on the last trip to Poland.I saw last week in Wisbech a scamell in a yard driving around,the one wheel in the front I think they called them a mechanical horse.Bill would know,he knows every thing,ha ha.You can tell that I am bored writing all this.Lots of love Terence ■■.

Hi Young Terence, you are quite right. When i started as a trailer mate for Macks Hauliers of Silvertown, we had several three wheel Bedford Scammel horses on a Houghs Waste paper collection job. I was only a mate on them a few times as they were on local collections and I was a journey mate. Eventually I ended up as a mate on a Scammel Artic, driven by my father in law to be. Now get back to painting your old Bangers and dont forget under the wheel arches. Love to Carol;e. Bill.