UBER loses high court fight for "Self Employed" status

i have used uber a few times and spoken to drivers, they get paid at the end of the week - % kept by uber per fair drivers prefer this option as they feel a lot safer not carrying money, i also had this in my inbox this morning

You may have seen press reports that a London employment tribunal has ruled two drivers who use Uber should be classified as workers, not self-employed.

A recent poll of 1,000 drivers who use our app found that the overwhelming majority prefer being self-employed and joined Uber precisely because they want to be their own boss. Drivers want the freedom to decide where, when and for how long to drive: being classified as workers could deprive them of the personal flexibility they value.

Last month drivers who used our app in the UK made on average over £16 per hour in fares, after our service fee. Even after deducting costs, this is well above the national living wage.

We’re proud that Uber has created flexible opportunities for thousands of people to make money when and where they want. It’s why we are appealing this decision.

Jo Bertram
Regional General Manager, Uber UK

9970:
i have used uber a few times and spoken to drivers, they get paid at the end of the week - % kept by uber per fair drivers prefer this option as they feel a lot safer not carrying money, i also had this in my inbox this morning

You may have seen press reports that a London employment tribunal has ruled two drivers who use Uber should be classified as workers, not self-employed.
A recent poll of 1,000 drivers who use our app found that the overwhelming majority prefer being self-employed and joined Uber precisely because they want to be their own boss. Drivers want the freedom to decide where, when and for how long to drive: being classified as workers could deprive them of the personal flexibility they value.
Last month drivers who used our app in the UK made on average over £16 per hour in fares, after our service fee. Even after deducting costs, this is well above the national living wage.
We’re proud that Uber has created flexible opportunities for thousands of people to make money when and where they want. It’s why we are appealing this decision.
Jo Bertram
Regional General Manager, Uber UK

And as that came from UBER, it’s not really a surprise and basically a worthless statement/claim…

All this crap about being self employed giving workers flexibility is bollox, the only people it really gives flexibility to is employers.
And while we have more people workers than jobs, the workers will be exploited…

alix776:
After hearing other uber driversinterveiwed it sounds like they aren’t happy about the ruling

I don’t blame them either, a teeney tiny number of them are looking to “make things better for all of them”… Chances are they will be no better or worse off whatever happens, but I sure as hell wouldn’t want someone else telling me how hard I should be working or when I should be working, when I’ve specifically chosen to work in an industry where I WAS allowed to decide that before…

So that is ok then (UBER) they can drive as long as they like as far as they like no rules ect sounds dandy if they are behind a wheel for a job the should be fitted with digi tachos and subject to same rules as lgv drivers .

fuse:
So that is ok then (UBER) they can drive as long as they like as far as they like no rules ect sounds dandy if they are behind a wheel for a job the should be fitted with digi tachos and subject to same rules as lgv drivers .

Yes, and why don’t we over regulate every other walk of life too…

Getting in a car after your work day to go home? Don’t forget to do your manual entries… Get held up on the way home? You must ensure you have 9 hours off before getting in the car to go back to work. Work for yourself, and regularly work 7 days a week? Not anymore, sorry…

:unamused:

Seriously Fuse…

The current Uber contract is like piece work. Get a job in the spring cutting asparagus and you will be paid by the kilo. If your earnings fall below the min wage, the farmer has to make it up - do it a couple of times and he won’t want you there anymore because your asparagus is more expensive than the other worker’s.

When I see this "Last month drivers who used our app in the UK made on average over £16 per hour in fares, after our service fee. Even after deducting costs, this is well above the national living wage. " I immediately wonder what it costs to run the car, bearing in mind that all ‘dead’ mileage is at your own expense, as is fuel, maintenance, insurance VED, depreciation et al.

Santa:
When I see this "Last month drivers who used our app in the UK made on average over £16 per hour in fares, after our service fee. Even after deducting costs, this is well above the national living wage. " I immediately wonder what it costs to run the car, bearing in mind that all ‘dead’ mileage is at your own expense, as is fuel, maintenance, insurance VED, depreciation et al.

When I drove a private hire car, I used to reckon that about a third of my total take (including tips) ended up as wages.

The glut of uber drivers has got to be mainly caused by the fact you

(1) Don’t need to knowledge any more
(2) Don’t need to have any special licences.
(3) Politically Correct local government are throwing taxi permits at ethnic drivers in particular
(4) Ethnics are prepared to drive a car for money like they run a corner shop… Don’t mind sitting outside railway stations, airports, nightclubs for hours at a time unpaid.
(5) TFL is turning the screw on home-grown Black Cabbies - which surprise surprise are full of dislike for Uber.
(6) You don’t need to comply with drivers hours regulations and you don’t need a blue card licence.

Personally, I would not want to give any money by electronic payment to someone who quite frankly could disappear with the contents of my bank account any time.
I wouldn’t imagine many British White Females late at night - wanting to chance their arm at some “complete stranger” coming to pick them up in the middle of nowhere either.

How would I run it?

Professional Blue-Card carrying drivers - are the ones that get to charge for taxi running. Everyone else has to be employed via a central office as in the days of old.

You can’t be self-employed in a field of work without holding the relevant qualifications for it.
If we’re not careful - the entire concept of the LGV licence will be taken away in a few years otherwise…

This represents DOWNWARD pressure on wages. The only drivers left will be those prepared to work on a shoestring budget, a moments notice, self-employed with no holiday or sick pay - and all for minimum wages or even lower - if the blighters handing out the fares can possibly get away with it.

GMB are right in trying to take all this in a better direction. :wink:

ao are opening a new depot at axis park in langley, their ad for drivers states that they will be self employed