Tyre eating MAN

newmercman:
So your lorry doesn’t have a rear diff then? Because that’s exactly what all the gubbins inside the drive axle does!

I don’t know! I’m not a fitter but its not just mine that has this issue. It seems to be only on our Renualts as our Scania’s don’t suffer from it. Had the fitters turn up at the weekend, took a look at it, deemed it safe then sorted out the truck next to mine which also had the same issue! I could hear it slapping the road in Leeds today.

Radar19:

mark h:
Are the diesel tanks on the same side ? Also does it have large fuel capacity ? The extra weight on 1 side can cause this wear

Funny you mention that, my rear drive tyre on the off side is starting to look like a 50p piece!

Are the drive axle tyres remoulds? I had my tyres go like 50p pieces on my old premium once too. It was remoulds it was running on at the time. Tyre fitter says its common for remoulds to go mis shapen after a while.

damoq:

Radar19:

mark h:
Are the diesel tanks on the same side ? Also does it have large fuel capacity ? The extra weight on 1 side can cause this wear

Funny you mention that, my rear drive tyre on the off side is starting to look like a 50p piece!

Are the drive axle tyres remoulds? I had my tyres go like 50p pieces on my old premium once too. It was remoulds it was running on at the time. Tyre fitter says its common for remoulds to go mis shapen after a while.

I will ask when I’m back in the office.

Radar19:

newmercman:
So your lorry doesn’t have a rear diff then? Because that’s exactly what all the gubbins inside the drive axle does!

I don’t know! I’m not a fitter but its not just mine that has this issue. It seems to be only on our Renualts as our Scania’s don’t suffer from it. Had the fitters turn up at the weekend, took a look at it, deemed it safe then sorted out the truck next to mine which also had the same issue! I could hear it slapping the road in Leeds today.

Sorry I was being flippant. Yes it does have a differential as do all lorries.

damoq:

Radar19:

mark h:

That statement proves the bloke doesn’t have a clue about tyre wear.

It may be a true statement, however the tyre itself is very unlikely to be the cause of the wear pattern.

It could be that companies who use remoulds do it because they are cheap and they don’t bother with alignments to save more money, or they don’t understand how beneficial and cost effective a good alignment can be and are buying cheaper remoulds because they’re sick of throwing good money away on tyres.

It pays to invest a bit of time finding out about tyres, which ones suit your operation best, which of those is nost cost effective and how to get the best life out of them.

newmercman:

Radar19:

newmercman:

Sorry I was being flippant. Yes it does have a differential as do all lorries.

Assuming it’s an artic I think I can understand what he might have been told.Too much weight on the overhang of the trailer lifting weight off the pin.Resulting in loss of traction.In which case by definition the diff will be more than likely to only let go on one side not both.Which is why they have diff locks.Then on anything other than a very slippery surface it won’t slip evenly it’ll bite and let go intermittently thereby unequally flat spotting/wearing the tyres at numerous points.Assuming that’s the issue hopefully they’ll make sure the trailer has more weight on its nose if/when the winter gets here being that if it spins up its drive in that case it probably might be on both sides at once assuming equal loss of grip. :bulb: :wink:

newmercman:

damoq:

Radar19:

mark h:

That statement proves the bloke doesn’t have a clue about tyre wear.

It may be a true statement, however the tyre itself is very unlikely to be the cause of the wear pattern.

It could be that companies who use remoulds do it because they are cheap and they don’t bother with alignments to save more money, or they don’t understand how beneficial and cost effective a good alignment can be and are buying cheaper remoulds because they’re sick of throwing good money away on tyres.

It pays to invest a bit of time finding out about tyres, which ones suit your operation best, which of those is nost cost effective and how to get the best life out of them.

The guy showed me one of the 50p tyres when he took them off my truck and I can almost certainly say that this wasn’t caused by poor alignment. Just a poor quality remould. The tread was showing signs of de-laminating. Strangely enough, where the flat spots were on the tyre, was also where the tread was starting to detach from the tyre. Quite a common thing on remoulds according to the fitter.

It’s a retread then, not a remould.