Tyre blow out rta M4

That was in 4x2 and all axles down on the trailer, the Gray & Adams (a make of trailer never to be bought again) is our heaviest fridge by about 200kg on the pin. The front axle is plated to 8,000kg with super singles but on springs, I believe if you are on air you can get a higher rating.

I drive a DAF SSC with a 73 t/metre crane fitted, it has a 9 tonne front axle and a tag, but it doesn’t lift because of the weight on the rear of around 1 tonne ballast to keep the front axle below 9 tonne, steering it round corners without a trailer is like turning the Queen Mary.
Sapper

Reading this sort of detail makes me realise how little I know. How do you learn more?

good_friend:
Reading this sort of detail makes me realise how little I know. How do you learn more?

Interesting question. I’m a firm believer that classrooms have their place but you only really learn by doing rather than reading. A process of osmosis occurs naturally if you’re in an environment daily.

good_friend:

Check the plating certificates on your vehicle and trailer, axle gross and train weights are all shown there.
Make use of weighbridges when you can, if you can’t get access to an axle weigher but are able to weigh yourself on a (level, not one raised with ramps) weighbridge or the operator is friendly, then you can split weigh the tractor and trailer, also weigh the steer axle on its own, then the steer axle plus second axle of a three axle unit, that’s all the weighings you need, 4 in total for a typical 6 axle artic.
Generally, unless there’s a fault, a triaxle trailer on air there won’t be much more than 100kgs difference beteen the axles when fully loaded, simply divide the trailer axle combo by three to make sure you’re within the typical 8 ton max for triaxles, course if you can find an axle weigher its good to check so you know for sure.

There you go, your axle weights by making use of a standard level weighbridge, split weighing whilst not perfect will give you as near as dammit all the readings you need, then you go off with ■■■ packet and pencil and do your sums.
Notice the trailer is too heavy? can you alter how the load is imposed?
Unit axle weights not ideal, try moving the fifth wheel a couple of notches and re-weigh, see what difference its made.

Artics in my experience you want some decent weight on the drive axle, say you’re fully loaded at 43 tons, in my opinion the tractor wants to weigh in at 22+ tons and the trailer 21-, that’ll give you 10+ tons sitting on the drive axle if the fifth wheel is in the right place, plenty of grip and the dog in charge of its tail.
Trailer running at 24 tons means tractor only 19 tons gross, tail wagging dog syndrome, drive axle probably only 8 tons imposed means lack of drive axle grip and the trailer wnats to go straight on.

Most drivers that have driven modern car transporters are maybe more concerned about axle weights, weight distribution or placement, drive axle grip, but especially doing all you can to prevent the tail wagging the dog, which means all of those things are important.

the maoster:

good_friend:

Interesting question. I’m a firm believer that classrooms have their place but you only really learn by doing rather than reading. A process of osmosis occurs naturally if you’re in an environment daily.

They do say we learn by our mistakes.
I know loads…

Thank you lads

I’m getting there but very slowly. I am ETM now to 3 clients and one of them I still drive for quite a bit so it’s been a steep learning curve. I think you get to a stage after learning a bit that you realise how much is still left to learn.

Perhaps I’ve left it too late, I don’t know, but it’s amazing what you pick up just by talking to all the drivers that come onto site and walking around my lorries all the time.