Two Way Street - HGV drivers' answers needed!

As a cyclist of some years I can see both sides too, I work on the outskirts of York where pavements have been made wider to accommodate both pedestrians and cyclists, so what do some of the idiot cyclists do… ride on the flippin’ road which are often too narrow to get past. Cyclist like this are running a very real risk of injury or worse and should be taken on one side and spoken to by plod but there never around when you want one, plod that is.

Stu

For years nearly every cyclist I’ve seen in my city, ignores red lights everywhere including red lights at pedestrian crossings!

:imp: :imp:

Thought this might get some enlightened responses. :unamused:

I think the main issue is large groups of riders out together. Perhaps club runs and training rides should be staggered into groups of 3 or 4? I personally don’t think riding two abreast is an issue because on most roads you have to wait for the oncoming traffic to clear anyway. Giving an extra cycle width makes bugger all difference IMO.

As someone who cycles a lot, always on the road and mainly in rural areas I have to say that it isn’t the HGV drivers who need the education. My main cause of near misses is with elderly car drivers, who, peering through their cataracts either don’t see me at all or overtake some mystery ghost cyclist who seems to be riding about 20feet in front of me. I generally find tractors to be a problem too, although this mainly due to the reduced speed differential. Many car drivers operate what I call the “two bends” or “10 second” rule. They wait for one or the other, then overtake, regardless of whats coming or wether they can see (todays pleb did so on a hump back bridge :open_mouth: ).

The only reason that HGV’s are being targeted is because of the number of city/town deaths involving cylists and HGVs. When cycling in town I work on the basis that when the QE2 comes into port, the little boats steer well clear! IMO, the number of cyclist deaths is due to poor training and the “I’ll just nip into this gap” culture that exists particularly in major cities. Also, any pillock can jump on a bike and act like a moron. These are the real problem and should be the ones that are targetted for any safety campaign. As someone else said there are cyclists and there are pedestrians/morons who happen to be riding a bike.

Old people. Good god. One thing that sticks in my mind was when an old woman pulled out on me, then when she finally saw me put one hand up and smiled, even though she had come quite close to knocking me off :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I always ride on the road, and its very rare ill ride on the cycle path. Even if its wide, its often got pedestrians on which arent paying attention and doing any decent speed over 15mph is quite dangerous. Ill ride on the road and do a decent speed.

Its also young people that need some more education. My brother was all for moaning at cyclists, passing them close until he road on the road and he [zb] himself :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

How refreshing to have a cycle thread ASKING for our thoughts, I think at the end of the day the mix of vehicles is always going to create problems, and the cyclist is the one who is going to come second in all of it. a Professional training program followed by a test is a way forward plus all cyclists should have insurance imho.
I was happy with the questions in the survey, although there could have been some “other” choice where we could word our own responses.

As a truck driver and a cyclist, I’ve a foot in both camps. When I’m working it’s sometimes staggering how some cyclists behave. Dark clothes no lights ,and three abreast, the list goes on. They call Cambridge cycle city, and its easy to see why. It’s also complicated by huge numbers of language students, who rent bikes, then sally forth without a seconds training or preparation. I’ve had them hanging on to the back of my trailer even on one memorable occaision. But, touch a cyclist, and your in the ■■■, right up to your neck and beyond.
Now don’t get me wrong, cycles are great to get around on, but cyclists are just not truck-aware, the police just don’t seemto be bothered about enforcing the most basic of rules, until a motor vehicle gets involved with them, and no matter what, it’s always down to the poor old driver.
I think that people need to be honest enough to aknowlege that every body can improve their act if they try. For Cambridge drivers, it’s not such a problem because they live with it day in day out, but when I first moved to the area 32 years ago, it took quite a few near misses before I really became cycle aware, and so, it must be the same for people who come from areas where there are’nt that many bikes about. It can be a real nightmare at times driving a truck around them, but it ain’t impossible. It just needs everyone to make an effort.

The biggest problem I think is that cyclists don’t have any idea how restricted our vision is in comparison with their 360 degree all round vision and all too frequently place themselves in bad positions. I believe it’s time for cyclists to have compulsory training and licensing like every other road user with particular emphasis on how to behave when around LGVs. I’ve been watching the mood change regarding the relationship between cyclists and LGVs as every fatality involving the two is reported. Subsequently I now have FOUR mirrors on my nearside to check along with everything else as I try to do my job, on increasingly busy roads. My honest opinion is that we are reaching the point where LGV drivers are carrying the can for other road users lack of training. I also think that regarding this particular question we are putting the cart before the horse by trying to make LGV drivers carry the bulk of the responsibility. What’s easier? Is it easier for a LGV driver to see EVERYTHING around him? Or is it easier for a cyclist? I’ve ridden bikes, motorbikes and everything else since I was 10. I’ve passed all the tests but you know what? I’m human. I make mistakes. I know that if I was out cycling I wouldn’t be putting myself anywhere near LGVs. I’m not anti-cyclist, in fact I’d like to see more folk cycling and the road network upgraded to separate them from traffic on busier routes but that has to go hand in hand with teaching cyclists that LGVs can hurt and to stop painting us so black.

One other thing that causes problems between cyclists and trucks is that we cannot hear them when we are in the cab whether we have the windows up or down,

but

Neither can they hear us when they have a [zb] MP3 or iPod stuck in their ear listening to the open university. It is as bad as a driver being on a mobile phone for the concentration…

Cyclists were talked about today on the club cycle ride. The opinion was that some seem to forget that they are actually on the road, with cars and other traffic and just seem to ride like idiots. As one person did today, riding on the wrong side of the road for some weird reason.
Someone soon had a word(pretty much said either ride sensibly or [zb] off) and he started to pay more attention.
I dont mind riding two abreast, at times it can be easier to pass when two abrest then when its singled out. The A612 by burton joyce is one where if you get them side by side its easier to get past before the next bollard, then it is to pass them when they are single file in a big-ish line.
There is some training needed for some people, but its annoying that a majority gives the rest of cyclists bad names.
But, you cant teach them. Check out this video, might have thought the cyclist wouldnt have learnt not to go down the left after that first near miss, but no :unamused: :unamused:

Highlander:
Road racing should be banned.
Cycling clubs out on a ride,maybe 20 or 30 in one large group filling the whole width of the lane and stretched out maybe a truck length or more can be a real pain to pass,especially when you’re fully loaded.
If a cycle lane is available,then its use should be compulsory.This is a problem on the A9 at this time of year. Think I’m right in saying there is a cycle track all the way from Perth to Inverness,it being a mixture of custom built and sections of the old road,yet you see a lot of cyclists still using the main road alongside fast moving traffic.

yep i had a few of them doing it last week, though the majority used the proper cycle path

Good to see that there are so many cyclists on here. We should all try to be responsible road users and show consideration both as riders and drivers.

joemaxi:
Would like to write more but I have to go and do some work for a change!! :neutral_face:

WORK,■■? You’re at the wrong depot Stevie! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: