Trying to find night trunking work as a new pass

If you get lucky and get a start on nights.Find a quiet spec somewhere and practise your reversing for 15/20 mins each night, if you have the time obviously!

AliceDriver:
. Plus it feeling like most companies will just hand you the keys and say get on with it rather than spend a few hours on induction to show a newbie the ropes, like, I could have a guess at how to open and close a curtainsider but I’ve not been shown or taught it, and driving schools only cover what little is needed to pass the driving test and initial CPC :frowning:

^ also worried about this. Passed my theory tests today and begin training on Feb 10th. Test on 14th. I’ve been looking at job advertisements that welcome new drivers. Not sure what will be taught in the training but it doesn’t fill me with confidence seeing what you said. I just really don’t want to look like an absolute pleb when I find a job and pester somebody for help when I’m not sure. But that’s how you learn I suppose. I’ve been watching a few trucker vlogs seeing how they secure their loads and use ratchet straps etc in the hope I won’t look like an absolute pleb when I go for my training [emoji23]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

A lot of the parcel companies (TNT, DHL, FedEx, etc.) seem to use subbies an awful lot. Mark Thompsons yellow lorries seem to be quite popular, but I have no idea what they’re like to work for. Might be worthwhile thinking outside the box a little, but be aware, in my limited experience in that field, they do have an expectation that the driver wont dawdle.

As far as reversing goes, everyone struggles at first (and some of us still do! :blush: ), but very very soon, it’ll click and all make sense.

Howdens truck to Runcorn and back every night from Avonmouth, mainly running to Runcorn empty.

AliceDriver:
I’d say it may be a generational thing, but there seem to be people twice as old as me just coming in to the industry with similar confidence issues :confused: Personally I feel the lack of experience behind the wheel of a truck doesn’t help, there’s only so many hours people can afford for lessons and a test, and with all the insurance particulars and surveillance nowadays we can’t just easily tag along in a mate’s wagon for a shift and see how they drive it, plus all the [zb] that comes with a modern unit nowadays and their price tag, and the increasing number of impatient muppets in cars tearing around the roads like a race track, and wagon drivers getting the blame by default if there’s an accident involving a truck, it feels like there’s a lot at stake. Plus it feeling like most companies will just hand you the keys and say get on with it rather than spend a few hours on induction to show a newbie the ropes, like, I could have a guess at how to open and close a curtainsider but I’ve not been shown or taught it, and driving schools only cover what little is needed to pass the driving test and initial CPC :frowning:

But it has always been like this. I know that the old times like to hark on about being born on the engine hump of daddy’s Clydesdale :grimacing: , and learning to rope and sheet at the age of 5, but they are still in a majority. I would guess that at least for 4 or 5 decades, most drivers would have passed a test, and had to blag themselves into their first job. I’ve been driving here nearly 30 years, and it was a case of "no 2 years experience, no job " in the early 90’s, and no doubt before that in the 80’s.

I think it’s more to do with the social media obsession of naming and shaming, each and every mistake made, and people having become to ■■■■■■■ in receiving likes.

Just get behind the wheel, and get on with it. Honestly.

halewood:
If you get lucky and get a start on nights.Find a quiet spec somewhere and practise your reversing for 15/20 mins each night, if you have the time obviously!

Yeah, it would be nice to get a gig where I’d have a bit of time to spare for reversing practice

Wiggywat:
Passed my theory tests today and begin training on Feb 10th. Test on 14th. I’ve been looking at job advertisements that welcome new drivers. Not sure what will be taught in the training but it doesn’t fill me with confidence seeing what you said.

Unfortunately, chances are that you’ll just get taught how to pass the driving test and nothing more :frowning: Daily checks hammered in to you so that you get the two random questions at the start of the test right, and spending the driving time going along all the possible test routes so that you’re familiar with where to place the truck on those particular roads, and practicing the reversing exercise step by step (for the artic reverse, I was taught to go full lock first, then slowly back up until I saw a sticker on the trailer headboard line up with the air deflector kit in the mirror, then turn the other way until I saw the cone at a particular point, then when going straight back to watch for a cable tie marker on the trailer’s spray suppression to line up with the painted line of the makebelieve bay. It gets you through the test, but I don’t think it really translates to the real world and your boss probably wouldn’t be too pleased with you dry steering the tyres :laughing: ). As the saying goes, they’ll teach you how to pass the driving test but it’s when you start working that the learning actually begins.

Nite Owl:
A lot of the parcel companies (TNT, DHL, FedEx, etc.) seem to use subbies an awful lot. Mark Thompsons yellow lorries seem to be quite popular, but I have no idea what they’re like to work for. Might be worthwhile thinking outside the box a little, but be aware, in my limited experience in that field, they do have an expectation that the driver wont dawdle.

As far as reversing goes, everyone struggles at first (and some of us still do! :blush: ), but very very soon, it’ll click and all make sense.

I’m struggling to find out which agencies the parcel companies use in the area, all I’ve found on other TN posts is people discussing how their planners expect you to be flat to the mat from the second you leave one hub until you join the queue at the receiving one :open_mouth: I wouldn’t mind seeing what the gig is like through agency but I’m a bit apprehensive to apply directly to them straight off the bat.

Darkside:
Howdens truck to Runcorn and back every night from Avonmouth, mainly running to Runcorn empty.

Thanks, I’ll check them out as well, seems like a straightforward run :smiley:

Google is your friend!!

indeed.co.uk/m/viewjob?jk=4 … &from=serp

I googled for hgv night jobs in Birmingham and that popped up. I know theres a possibility of early starts, but I’m sure you could fudge it and blame parental responsibilities on order to get later ones.

Plus, nothing in the ad that I saw demanded 1 years experience.

From one job hunter to another, nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck.

Reed Boardall have some based at Gloucester they do take new passes will also send you out with a driver "to train you up " they have to sign you off before you go solo as they like to know you can handle a single & double decker

Might be worth a try

01423 321309

CEVA Bristol or Wellesbourne (Warwick). Fagan & Whalley Coventry.

AliceDriver:
Long story short, I’m looking for agencies who have clients offering class 1 night trunking and accept new passes. I’m currently based in the Bristol/Avonmouth area, but I live in a van so it’s no skin off my back if I have to relocate to Birmingham for a wider pool of opportunities. I guess I wouldn’t mind applying to the companies directly either, so any suggestions are welcome (feel free to PM me if you don’t want to publicly mention them)

In your defence you live in a van, so I assume you would be willing to tramp? try stobarts ir Maritime etc, there are companies around Heathrow way, call up container companies in areas and be honest you would be surprised what knocking on a few doors can do.

Wish you luck.

Go and have a potter around Avonmouth way and see who takes your fancy, then just bang on the door.

Look clean, tidy and interested and you might strike lucky.

Have at look at the DPD site and see where they are looking.

If you end up looking at agencies over that way then send me a PM and I can suggest a couple. If you fancy anything Trowbridge way then try B&M as Colin is an ex-driver and the 3 guys there are pretty good and will help if they can